Interview with Henri Barkey on the Hizmet Movement

Henri Barkey, who has been one of the leading Turkey analysts in Washington.
Henri Barkey, who has been one of the leading Turkey analysts in Washington.


Date posted: March 18, 2016

Henri Barkey, who has been one of the leading Turkey analysts in Washington, joined journalist Ruşen Çakır’s live broadcast via Periscope. He made interesting comments about the claims of the “parallel structure,” the situation of Fethullah Gülen in the US, and the appointment of trustees to the Zaman daily.

Barkey said that the US government does not want to interfere with what is happening in Turkey, yet the government normally reacted against the appointing of trustees.

Here are the main points of Barkey’s comments:

“The US government could not help but be disturbed by the seizing of the Zaman daily. It is a major newspaper and media company, and there is no real evidence against the movement. Nobody in the US believes that there is a terrorist organization as ‘FETO.’ What we understand from a terrorist organization is a group of people bombing this or that place. We did not see Fethullah Gülen, the people around him, or the writers in Zaman throwing bombs around.”

The claims of “Parallel Structure”

“They (the Gülen (aka Hizmet) Movement and the ruling Justice and Development Party) were together until December 2013. The predominant thought in Washington is, “If there is any parallel organization, it must have been formed within the knowledge of the government.” So I do not think they take these claims seriously… We have not seen Gülen break the US laws so far.”

The claims of connection with the CIA

In answer to the question, “Does not he have any relation to the CIA?” Barkey said: “He has no relation at all with the CIA. He cannot have. I worked for the US foreign affairs, I know that there is no such connection. They are just making up such conspiracy theories in Turkey.”

Will the US deport Fethullah Gülen?

“President Obama cannot do it even if he wanted to… If you want to deport someone, you must sue him first. This can only happen by court decision. You need to show evidence to the court. So what is the evidence here? Some accusations about a “terrorist organization” claimed by the Turkish government… I think it is very difficult to prove this in an American law court. Namely, you cannot deport someone for you do not love him.

Fethullah Gülen is a legal resident. He is not someone who passed from the Mexican border at midnight and then issued false documents of citizenship.

He will ask ‘What wrong did I do?’ What proof can you show against him?

The greatest threats for the US are organizations like the ISIS and al-Qaeda.

First of all, somebody must come up with a file with real evidence about Fethullah Gülen.

Turkish government claims that they gave it. They are saying that there is a ‘parallel structure’ led by Fethullah Gülen. But according to American law, you must prove that.

The Gülen Movement is not something new. They have been in the US since 1999.

The US government does not want to get involved in what happens in Turkey but it has to say certain things. The US government could not keep silent after the seizing of the Zaman daily.”

“Erdoğan is trying to meet Obama”

“Erdoğan is coming to the US soon. He is trying to meet Obama. He is trying to bring Obama to the opening of a mosque here but I think Obama will not go.”

Source: HizmetMovement , March 17, 2016


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer: Pro-government media ignores ruling of Supreme Court of Appeals

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said in a written statement on Monday that pro-government media outlets continue their false accusations about Gülen and members of the Gülen movement, pointing out that Gülen was acquitted in June 2008 of all allegations that had been leveled against him at that time.

Erdoğan now at odds with once-closest ally

Those who have an interest in Turkish politics may have been a little confused for the last few weeks, observing the row between Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan’s Justice and Development Party (AK Parti) government and the social movement of religious scholar Fethullah Gülen, or the “Hizmet” (Service) movement as they preferred to be called. The row is over the closure of private prep schools (“dershane” in Turkish).

Why does Öcalan need to approach the Gülen movement?

Emre Uslu The Turkish public has recently been discussing Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Öcalan’s peace offer to the Gülen movement. Many observers saw this as a surprise step from Öcalan. Last week I had the chance to speak with both Kurdish politicians and followers of Gülen in the Southeast. Unlike widely believed rumors, […]

87-year old prisoner gets 11-day solitary confinement for ‘hoping release one day’

Ali Osman Karahan, an 87-year-old Turkish man who has been kept in an Isparta prison for almost 15 months over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, was given 11-day solitary confinement for relieving other inmates by saying: “if you are not guilty, you will be released one day.”

Pregnant with twins, Kocaeli woman detained during control at hospital

Nuriye Yalcin, a Kocaeli woman who is expected to deliver twin babies in 4.5 months was detained during a regular medical control at Izmit Medical Park Hospital on Tuesday.

Conference declares gov’t needs to be more active in preventing domestic violence

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL The government should take a more active role in preventing domestic violence — which is on the rise across Turkey and the world — stated the final declaration of the conference on violence and society organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation‘s (GYV) Women’s Platform between Nov. 24 and 26 in İstanbul. […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive

An in-depth Interview with TUSKON President Meral

African Union Commission chair receives Gülen peace award

Old reflexes of media against faith will rise again

“Like a Storm”: Deportations Stun Turks in Kosovo

Turkish authorities deny release to critically ill cancer patient arrested on Gülen links

TUSKON’s Turkish-Filipino Initiatives to Open New Trade Doors

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News