Dismissed police officer dies of heart attack in German refugee camp


Date posted: February 7, 2018

Ali Ünlü, a 42-year-old former police officer who was earlier dismissed from his job as part of the government’s post-coup crackdown, died of heart attack in a refugee camp in Stuttgart, according to media and people with knowledge of the incident.

Ünlü, one of over 150,000 people who have lost their jobs over alleged ties to the Gulen movement, escaped a further crackdown in Turkey to Germany, Aktif Haber online news portal said Tuesday.

Several Twitter accounts claimed that Ünlü ended up in a refugee camp in Stuttgart where he later passed away following a heart attack.

Ünlü was buried in his hometown of Kaymakli, Nigde. Relatives covered his coffin with a Turkish flag and police uniforms.

Turkish government accuses Gulen movement of masterminding the July 15, 2016 failed coup while the latter denies involvement. Thousands of people have fled Turkey to overseas countries to seek safety from the government’s post-coup persecution.

Source: Turkey Purge , February 7, 2018


Related News

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

National Security Council (MGK) will convene. Turkey is going through a grave security crisis due to the situation in Syria and Iraq, and the escalation of domestic terror. The road map, the peshmerga corridor, martyred security forces…

Courts order corrections to gov’t media stories on Hizmet

Several courts have ruled against untruthful stories published or broadcast by media institutions close to the government about the Hizmet movement, which Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused of trying to undermine his government, but most newspapers and stations have not published the corrections as they should according to the rulings.

Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous

Mr Gulen denies any role in the failed coup in July, and US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently described the delay as a joke on Turkey.

İstanbul Transportation Authority cancels bus line to Fatih University

Amid growing examples of discrimination against the Hizmet movement, the İstanbul Transportation Authority (İETT) canceled one bus line to Fatih University, which is considered to be affiliated with the Hizmet movement. An official from İETT, İsmihan Şimşek talked to Today’s Zaman and admitted that the 76F bus line had been canceled, but dismissed the idea that the decision deliberately targeted Fatih University. According to her, following analysis of demand for bus services in the region, the 76F bus line was discontinued while two other lines, HT18 and 418, continue to run with stops at Fatih University.

The more we learn, the more we are the same

During my stay in Turkey, I met with many business leaders and academics that provide funding for schools and universities based on this philosophy. As one businessman told me, “Educated people can understand each other.”

As I researched the Gulen schools in Germany, I experienced beyond what I had expected

Dr. Jochen Thies’ new book focuses on Gulen-inspired Schools in Germany. Dr. Jochen Thies introduced the book he wrote about the schools opened in Germany by Turkish entrepreneurs: “We Are a Part of This Society-A Look at the Education Initiatives of the Gulen Movement”. Dr. Gunther Mulack, Director of the German Orient Institute, who was also […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

Gülen calls for support to a [presidential] candidate with true integrity

A headscarved woman at the April 24 commemoration

One Year On, New Research Uncovers Turkey’s Coup Bid Staged By Erdoğan Himself

A dirty war in the run-up to the elections

2 Turkish teachers killed in Somali school bus attack

Samanyolu permission to shoot Ramadan program in mosque

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News