Turkish PM: State of emergency will continue until Gülen movement completely wiped out


Date posted: January 27, 2017

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said in Ankara on Thursday that the state of emergency which was declared following a failed coup attempt in July of last year will continue until the faith-based Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind the coup attempt, is completely wiped out from state institutions.

Speaking during a ceremony to launch the Justice Ministry’s judicial database project in Ankara, Yıldırım said his Justice and Development Party (AKP) has brought about effective changes in the judicial system and that the state of emergency will remain in force “to wipe ‘FETÖ’ out completely.”

FETÖ is a derogatory term for the Fetullahist Terrorist Organization, coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AKP to refer to the Gülen movement, a global civil society movement inspired by the views of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

“Not with mercy or with revenge, we are going to treat them [Gülen followers] with justice. … It has been six or seven months since the [failed] coup took place. Those who took up arms and killed people are known. Citizens are asking why these people still have not been tried. … Why do you think people keep screaming for the death penalty? They want to see results. This is the payoff for a 40-year-long case. If we speed up the process, people will calm down,” Yıldırım said.

He also admitted that a commission established by a recent government decree to investigate lawsuits filed during a state of emergency was actually established to prevent the victims of post-coup violations from taking their cases to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

Meanwhile, President Erdoğan told reporters on his way back to Turkey from a visit to Africa that holding a referendum on constitutional amendments under the state of emergency may create a “comfortable ground” for Turkey.

“Going [to referendum] with the state of emergency may prepare a comfortable ground. I am aware that the government also thinks this way since there is no such thing as ‘there cannot be elections while there is a state of emergency.’ Remember, before we came to power, there was a state of emergency in Turkey and the election was held under such circumstances. We lifted the state of emergency after we came to power,” he said.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 27, 2017


Related News

Turkish aid organization becomes direct target of AK Party

Kimse Yok Mu, a UN-affiliated aid organization based in Turkey and the only Turkish organization that has a large outreach presence in 113 countries, continues to be a direct target of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government due to the latter’s hatred of the faith-based Hizmet movement, which inspired the work of the organization.

School officials to sue the Turkish ambassador for defamation

In response to statements made by the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia on Monday, officials from the Zaman International School (ZIS) yesterday denied any links with terrorist organizations, saying the ambassador’s claims were unfounded and lacked evidence.

Today’s Zaman praised for quality coverage on 6th anniversary

AYDIN ALBAYRAK/ALI ASLAN KILIÇ/SİNEM CENGİZ ANKARA On the occasion of the sixth anniversary of Today’s Zaman, senior leaders of the governing and opposition parties as well as Ankara-based foreign diplomats expressed their appreciation for the daily as an important source of information on Turkey. They described Today’s Zaman, the largest-circulated English daily in Turkey, as […]

Post-coup purge will affect Turkey’s education sector for decades

With more than 120,000 public workers suspended and nearly 40,000 people in prison, the aftermath of Turkey’s failed July 15 coup is being felt across every part of society, including its highest-ranked schools. The day after the coup attempt, 1,577 deans — working at nearly every university in the country — were forced to resign. An estimated 200,000 students were left in limbo after the closure of 15 universities and 1,043 private schools.

Yeni Asya editor: Erdoğan kept strategy to finish off Gülen movement secret

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who launched an all-out war against the faith-based Gülen movement in late 2013, kept his strategy to eliminate the group a secret until he decided to sever ties with it completely, Yeni Asya daily Editor-in-Chief Kazım Güleçyüz has said, adding the elimination strategy was state-sponsored.

Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

Gülen extends condolences for death of former deputy PM Arınç’s brother

The Fountain 100th Issue Essay Contest

History will record this [AK Party’s attack on Hizmet] as well

Should Hizmet establish a political party?

Turkey investigating 4,167 Gülen followers in 110 countries

The Real Enemy Within Turkey

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News