Turkish charities dedicate well in Uganda to James Foley

In this Friday, May 27, 2011, file photo, slain journalist James Foley poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Boston. (Photo: AP)
In this Friday, May 27, 2011, file photo, slain journalist James Foley poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Boston. (Photo: AP)


Date posted: November 22, 2014

The charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) and the Embrace Relief aid foundation, founded by Turks residing in the US, have jointly constructed a water well in Uganda dedicated to the memory of James Foley, an American journalist killed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

The well, constructed with the support of Kimse Yok Mu and Embrace Relief, will supply clean drinking water to 2,000 Ugandans.
John Foley, father of the murdered journalist, attended an award-giving ceremony organized by New Hampshire’s Turkish Cultural Center and the Peace Islands Institute to open the well to the public. Foley’s father said: “This is the most valuable thing done in my son’s memory so far. I don’t know how to express my thanks to the foundations doing this in my son’s name.”
Stating that his son had always worked for the good of others, Foley continued: “I can’t explain to you how valuable this gift is. This is a big honor to James’ memory.”

john-foley-embrace-relief

‘My son admired Turks and İstanbul’

Explaining that his son felt admiration for Turkish people and for İstanbul, Foley explained: “James worked to help people regardless of their nationality, race or religion. That’s why he went to Syria, he went there to be the voice of oppressed people.”

John Foley recalled that his son had often called him from Syria to relate his experiences there. “He chose to live for others, and on that path he gave his life,” he said. “When he explained carrying wounded children to the hospital, he was crying. When he spoke about seeing dead and wounded children he cried as well.”

Foley had been working as a freelance journalist covering the Syrian civil war when he was abducted by ISIL forces in November of 2012. He was not heard of again until a video of his beheading emerged in August of this year, with his captors explaining that the act was carried out in response to American airstrikes against ISIL.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 21, 2014


Related News

Biden’s office refutes Turkish minister’s claim that US has proof Gülenists plotted coup

US Vice President Joe Biden’s office refuted a claim made by Bekir Bozdağ, justice minister of Turkey, who said on Thursday night that Biden had confirmed that substantive information on the involvement of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen had been received by the US as part of an extradition request submitted by Ankara this month.

Thunder center Enes Kanter sure looks tiny compared to the world’s tallest man

The two men were at the grand opening Thursday of a new private school, Fulton Science Academy, in the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta. Kosen was there to discuss his experiences growing up so different from most people.

Renewing Islam by Service: A Christian View of Fethullah Gulen with Pim Valkenberg

Join us for a talk by Dr. Pim Valkenberg on his recent book “Renewing Islam by Service: A Christian View of Fethullah Gulen and the Hizmet Movement”. The talk will be moderated by Dr. Paul Heck.

Kimse Yok Mu delivers humanitarian assistance to Yazidis, Turkmens

Kimse Yok Mu, one of the largest charity organizations in Turkey, has sent humanitarian assistance worth nearly TL 2 million collected by volunteers to help Turkmens and Yazidis escaping Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) forces in Iraq.

The US Should Not Extradite Fethullah Gülen, To A Paranoid Turkish Government

It should be common sense to say that Gulen should not be handed over to a paranoid state, which cannot handle its own affairs. Fethullah Gulen himself has done what others also have, which is to suggest that Erdogan himself facilitated “the coup” in order for him to introduce his new phase of order over the country, becoming a dictator under NATO protection.

US assures private schools are under legal protection against closure

Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) Executive Director Mark Gibb has said no one, not even President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has the authority to close down Turkish schools in the US in response to the Turkish government’s bid to close down schools opened by entrepreneurs affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, which is also known as the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Evolution of the Gulen [Hizmet] Movement

Fethullah Gülen calls on Muslims in the US to pray against Sandy

GYV contributes to correct perception of Islam

Fethullah Gülen’s prospects for inter-religious dialogue

The Turkish School in Kathmandu made a dream come true

Statement of Senator Patrick Leahy On Assault on Press Freedom in Turkey Senate Floor

Supporters of Saylorsburg Muslim cleric say protesters have got it all wrong

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News