Turks mobilize to join solidarity campaign for Bank Asya

A Bank Asya logo is seen at a branch in Ankara. (Photo: Reuters)
A Bank Asya logo is seen at a branch in Ankara. (Photo: Reuters)


Date posted: September 11, 2014

MÜLEYKE BARUTÇU / ISTANBUL

The government-led assault to sink Turkey’s largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, due to its affiliations with the Hizmet movement, has stirred a public movement, with thousands of people rushing to deposit money with the bank to aid its struggle for survival.

Mobilized by waves of social media messages, such as those under the Twitter hashtag #MilletBankAsyayaSahipÇıkıyor (NationProtectsBankAsya), people are flocking to the bank’s branches to deposit their money. Some have sold their jewelry, some have sold their cars, and some have even drawn loans from other banks to deposit them with Bank Asya so that the bank is not short of money, amid an unprecedented government attempt to collapse a private bank out of animosity towards a civil society organization.

Kuddüs Güler, who has put his vehicle up for sale to collect money for Bank Asya, told Today’s Zaman that the car was a vital piece of property for his business. “But it is no longer the time to think of our own needs. I am selling my car, and I will put this money in Bank Asya to support this movement, which stands up to such pressure, and thus leave a better future for our children at a time when everyone is running after their own interests,” he said. He asserted that his motive is to stand up to cruelty and take the side of the oppressed.

Erkan Kaya, who put his house up for sale for the same reason as Güler, said he has full confidence in the bank, of which he has been a customer for the last decade, adding that he will take out money from a different bank if the house is not sold on time. Kaya said he is now telling all the people he knows to keep their savings in Bank Asya.

Bank Asya was one of the strongest and most resilient Turkish banks in terms of the size of its assets as well as its capital adequacy ratios. The government pressure started in December of last year, when a war was launched against the Hizmet movement to divert attention from two corruption investigations implicating government ministers. The Hizmet movement is a volunteer-based movement with the stated aim of spreading education across the world and encouraging interfaith dialogue. Then-Prime Minister and current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has claimed that the Hizmet movement is working as the proxy of unnamed foreign plotters who planned to remove him from power through the corruption allegations.

His next step was to accuse the movement of establishing a “parallel state,” through which he found a casus belli to purge anyone within state institutions who had been secretly profiled in terms of their connections to the Hizmet movement. In terms of Bank Asya, Erdoğan and his Cabinet members began their skirmishes by publicly disseminating rumors about Bank Asya’s financial situation, which were later proven to be false. Last month the government cancelled tax collection and social security contracts with Bank Asya, a move seen by observers as an attempt to weaken the lender. The bank attempted earlier this year to form a strategic partnership with Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB), but the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK) did not allow the talks to proceed. The state-owned Ziraat Bank was involved in talks with Bank Asya, but again the BDDK halted the talks. The Bourse İstanbul (BİST) removed Bank Asya’s shares from trading on Aug. 7, citing ambiguities in the bank’s partnership structure, and has not returned them to trading since, despite Bank Asya’s denial of any uncertainty.

 


Bank Asya rumors brought to parliamentary agenda

Parliament has debated claims by Twitter user @fuatavnifuat, who claims to be a member of Erdoğan’s close entourage and who has revealed secret information concerning anti-democratic practices, about a recent government report outlining a new strategy to sink and seize the bank.

Independent deputy İdris Bal submitted a parliamentary question on Wednesday, directed at Economy Minister Ali Babacan, on the Twitter claims. It asked whether any meeting took place in Beylerbeyi Palace in İstanbul on Aug. 20, with Erdoğan, Babacan, the presidents of the BDDK, the Capital Markets Board (SPK) and the Savings Deposits Insurance Fund (TMSF), Central Bank Deputy Governor Murat Çetinkaya and Ziraat Bankası General Manager Hüseyin Aydın in attendance. It also asked whether Erdoğan ordered the bureaucrats to escalate the pressure on Bank Asya and sink it at any cost. The deputy also wanted to learn whether those attending this meeting later decided to start “close monitoring” of 10 other banks, which are all in worse condition than Bank Asya, to give an impression to foreign investors and banks that Bank Asya is not being singled out. The same questions were also raised by Umut Oran, an İstanbul deputy for the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP).

Source: Today's Zaman , September 10, 2014


Related News

Erdogan vs the Gulen movement

A little piece of Turkey sits in Midrand, north of Johannesburg, in the form of the breathtaking Nizamiye mosque – built as a replica of the famous Selimiye mosque of Edirne, with its myriad blue and white tiles. President Jacob Zuma officially opened the mosque in 2012, which was built and funded by the unassuming Islamic philanthropist known as Uncle Ali.

Politically motivated police raid of kindergarten in west Turkey

The witch hunt against the opponents of the government continues and is growing. In another instance of a government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, the police along with inspectors conducted raids around 6 am on Tuesday at dozens of institutions owned by the Yamanlar Educational Institutions, which was established by volunteers of the movement in the western province of İzmir.

Turkish Airlines discriminates against critical newspapers on planes

THY significantly slashed its number of subscriptions to the aforementioned newspapers following an open disagreement between the government — which had made a decision to shut down prep schools — and the dailies, which held a critical editorial stance against the move. The numbers of these newspapers were lowered in THY’s private “Commercially Important Persons” lounge.

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

The manager of a private school linked to the exiled Turkish preacher Fethullah Gülen was released on bail by a Tbilisi court on Monday. Mustafa Emre Cabuk was arrested in May, 2017 in what appeared to be a case of pressure exerted by Turkey on Georgian authorities to crack down on institutions associated with Fethullah Gülen.

Unaffected by tension, TUSKON promotes Turkish economy

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has had its share of these provocative media reports. Regarding the recent media reports criticizing TUSKON’s lobbying efforts for Turkish firms abroad, TUSKON President Rıza Nur Meral told Sunday’s Zaman that allegations against TUSKON “do not make sense” and that the confederation has always supported Turkish businessmen who want to branch out into global markets. “We will continue our support [for Turkish entrepreneurs],” Meral added.

Erdoğan escalates elimination of Gülenists from state [ with no proof of accusations]

Since the Dec. 17 graft probe, hundreds of prosecutors and judges and around 2,500 police officers who the government believes to be close to Gülen have been removed from their posts, and it seems that it is not going to stop there.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Corruption scandal will consolidate Turkish democracy

Islamic scholar gave Buddhist point to ponder

Little Girl Cries Out For Help For Jailed Mom, Missing Dad In Turkey

“We will root out every single Gülenist from the Balkans,” Erdoğan says in Serbia

Gülen movement challenges Islamophobia, contributes to peace

Government files complaint against daily for exposing plot against Gülen

Elizabeth Munisoglu on Hizmet Movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News