Watson: My expressions were twisted by Sabah Daily


Date posted: February 2, 2014

SELÇUK GÜLTAŞLI, BRUSSELS

Sir Graham Watson, one of the most veteran members of the European Parliament, has said he is very disappointed in the way the Sabah daily twisted his words on the Hizmet movement.

British Member of the European Parliament (MEP) and leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Party Watson said he was disappointed by an interview published in the Sabah daily as the meanings of his expressions were misconstrued.

Watson said the Hizmet movement had already made a public statement in which it clearly said it was endorsing an amendment tabled by his group calling on the Hizmet movement to increase its transparency. The British politician also strongly emphasized that it was not only the Hizmet movement that should be transparent but also all parties in the political debate.

He also made clear that the main political issue in Turkey right now was the ongoing corruption allegations and the way in which the government is handling it. He said he was not satisfied with the way the Turkish government has handled the corruption allegations.

Watson told Today’s Zaman that he was informed by the Sabah correspondent that the interview would be for a documentary and did not know it would be published in a daily newspaper.

Statement to Today’s Zaman

The following is the statement of Sir Graham Watson to Zaman and Today’s Zaman:

“I’m unhappy with the way my words has been given a different meaning in the article in Sabah. Even the Gülen movement is supporting the amendments that have been tabled in the European Parliament urging greater openness. Such openness and transparency will be welcomed in all sides of Turkey’s political debate. It is certainly not only the Gülen movement that should be transparent.

“The main political issue in EU-Turkey relations at present is a satisfactory initiative to investigate allegations of corruption in the government. I am not satisfied with the way the government has responded to the allegations.”

Watson, who published an article on the news portal EUobserver on Jan. 21 on the eve of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s trip to Brussels, had strongly criticized the Erdoğan government’s reaction to the corruption investigations.

“The charges against the Prime Minister’s son cast a shadow over his prospects of continuing in office. Clear disrespect for the separation of powers in his handling of the crisis has put appalling pressure on prosecutors leading the case and led to the firing, reassigning, harassing and threatening of scores of high-ranking police officers,” he had written.

Also criticizing the EU for its reluctance to open new chapters, Watson kept strongly warning Erdoğan: “The path he is treading merely reinforces the impression of high corruption and the subordination of the judiciary to the executive. The government’s proposal to restructure the High Council of Judges and Prosecutors, the body responsible for judicial appointments, as a response to the ongoing investigation sparks concerns that the executive branch seeks a tighter grip on the judiciary, a clear infringement of the separation of powers which underpins modern Western democracies.”

In an exclusive interview during the European Desk program on STVHaber last month, Watson had accused Erdoğan of using “a form of hate speech against the Gülen movement.”

Source: Todays Zaman , February 2, 2014


Related News

‘Washington has no interest in using Gülen against AKP,’ former US envoy says

The U.S. has no desire to use Fethullah Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in America, as a tool against Ankara, said James Holmes, a former U.S. envoy to Ankara. Ties between Ankara and Turkey might be on the frosty side, but Turkey continues to be an important ally for the U.S., according to Holmes.

GYV awards peace projects in İstanbul ceremony

As part of the “International Peace Projects” awards, a total of 1,179 peace projects from 107 countries that aim to find resolutions to conflicts and establish peace following conflicts were evaluated. Each of the top 10 among those projects received a donation of $50,000 from the GYV to help the project developers implement their projects.

Who put those 4.5 million dollars there?

It is fair to say that no government, no organization, no company, no social club could ignore and permit any attempt from within to destroy itself. Even in that case, it is up to independent courts to probe such a conspiracy, plot or coup attempt. It is up to the independent courts, free of political pressure, to investigate both suspicions of a coup attempt and suspicions over large-scale corruption.

Gulen movement shows faith can purify reason

Randy David MANILA, Philippines—It is fascinating to read Pope Benedict XVI’s speech the other day before members of the British parliament. The Pope spoke on “the proper place of religious belief within the political  process.” Having just visited Ephesus and Urfa, two of the most important religious sites in Turkey, I could not have been […]

What is at stake is not prep schools [in Turkey]

Will Prime Minister Erdoğan really close prep schools down if he is bent on it? Why not? Although Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç, speaking after a Cabinet meeting last Monday, tried to reassure people by announcing that the government will discuss the matter once more with the stakeholders involved, PM Erdoğan refuted Arınç once again by saying they would shut them down. Isn’t this sufficient in showing his resolve in this regard?

Hizmet Movement discussed at Mexico’s UNAM

A group of Turkish, American and Mexican academics came together at National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) to discuss the Hizmet Movement’s progression from past to present.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Sierra Foundation’s Dialog and Friendship Dinner Brings Together Many in Reno

Ergun Poyraz to pay compensation for slandering Fethullah Gulen in his book

German view of Hizmet Movement (2)

A February 28 tactic from the PKK

Turkish Alevites, Sunnis show solidarity during Eid al-Adha

America’s Friends Get Arrested in Turkey’s Post-Coup Purges

Turkey targets Gulen schools in Africa

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News