Alevis voice unease over lack of promised rights at Abant meeting


Date posted: December 16, 2013

Sevil Erkuş

Alevis have expressed their uneasiness over pro-government comments claiming that the Gezi Park protests were an “Alevi uprising,” warning against a “dangerous approach that encourages wrong perceptions.”

“Yes. Mostly Alevis [among others] participated in the Gezi protests, because they have more grievances,” said Cafer Solgun, chairman of the Confrontation Association (Yüzleşme Derneği), speaking at the Abant Platform on Dec. 14.

Explaining why Alevis took part in the Gezi demonstrations, Solgun particularly mentioned concern over Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s declaration that he wished to raise a “pious generation.”

“I haven’t given anyone any authorization over my child on religious issues. This sentence concerned families,” he said, also voicing unease over the government’s move to name the third bridge over the Bosporus “Yavuz Sultan Selim,” an Ottoman Sultan known to have massacred thousands of Alevis.

Solgun also cited a report from Turkish police regarding the demographics of those arrested during the Gezi protests, which revealed that 78 percent of all suspects had an Alevi religious background.

“Why do they research people’s backgrounds, instead of the reasons why Alevis poured into streets? This shows that they already see us as criminals,” he noted.

Solgun also recalled that Prime Minister Erdoğan encouraged crowds to jeer at Alevis while delivering a speech in which he slammed main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu over having an Alevi background.

The title of this year’s Abant Platform, which started on Dec. 13, was “Alevis and Sunnis: Searching for Peace and a Future Together.” It was organized by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), a group affiliated with the Gülen Movement.

The three-day meeting aimed to promote mutual coexistence with open discussion sessions including over 150 people, academics, researchers, journalists, prominent figures from both Alevi and Sunni civil society groups, and officials from the Directorate of Religious Affairs (Diyanet).

Alevis have voiced disappointment over the absence of major steps from the government to meet the Alevi community’s demands. The demands had been made over the course of a series of workshops held as part of the government’s Alevi initiative, designed to give the Alevi community a forum to discuss demands and find a collective solution to their problems.

“I participated in the Alevi workshop in 2009. But there has been no change over the last four years,” observed Necdet Saraç, an Alevi journalist from Yol TV.

Solgun also touched on the issues of Alevis tending to vote for the CHP, saying the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) should ask itself. “The government should ask itself. We are disappointed, as we had been expecting progress [during their term],” he said.

The workshops during the Alevi initiative put forth a road map that pursued the concerns of Diyanet and theologians, but not of ordinary Alevis, Solgun added.

An Alevi former adviser to Erdoğan who resigned from his post during the workshops also spoke at the Abant Platform, describing the final declaration of the Alevi workshops as “a guide for what we shouldn’t do.”

In his speech, Reha Çamuroğlu indirectly criticized certain Sunni circles close to Erdoğan, without specifically naming them, over the lack of progress on Alevis’ rights.

“[There are some] who are writing in some places and have the ability to affect decision makers, Sunnis who are not in this room. Those Sunnis are annoyed at the opportunities and status to be granted to Alevis,” Çamuroğlu said.

Despite the differences among Alevi groups, all agree on some specific demands, which have already been conveyed to the government, he added, particularly saying that cemevis should be officially recognized as places of worship and that the government budget for religious services should be equally allocated.

Federation Alevi Foundations head Doğan Bermek criticized “discrimination against Alevis” under AKP rule, saying Alevis were not being allowed to take prominent posts in the public service and Alevi businessmen were even being excluded from state tenders.

AKP deputy and former Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay, who recently voiced criticism of some government policies, was also among the participants of the meeting.

There is “still a deep structure in Turkey” that prevents political settlement processes for the Alevi issue, Günay said, adding that if there was a sense that Diyanet was serving a single belief, this was because of the Diyanet’s practices as perceived by the citizens.

Restructuring the Diyanet in a way to serve all religious groups in Turkey, or the idea of the complete abolishment of the organization, is also a point of discussion among Alevis.

Prof. Mustafa Ekinci proposed downgrading the role of the Diyanet. The government should not pay for religious leaders and imams, and instead people should do the state’s work and should return foundations to their owners, he said.

However, the deputy chairman of Türk Diyanet Vakıf-Sen, a union for members of the Directorate of Religious Affairs, rejected the idea of abolishing the Diyanet, saying “the Diyanet is the cement of Turkey.”

Meanwhile, Cemal Uşak said Alevi’s seized properties during the Ottoman times must be returned to owners.

The meeting, which gathered intellectuals from various ideological camps, came at a time when tension between the government and the Gülen movement has become extremely visible in the eyes of the public, over the former’s plans to “transform” private schools that prepare high school students for Turkey’s highly competitive university entrance exam.

Dismissing “cyclical political developments” as the reason for meeting about the Alevi issue, Levent Köker, rotating chairman of the Abant Platform, told the Hürriyet Daily News that they had decided on the Alevi theme because “it never leaves Turkey’s agenda.”

During his opening speech, GYV President Mustafa Yeşil emphasized that the Alevi and Sunni faiths should not be made to conflict with each other.

“It is very important for those who represent justice to be powerful and for those who are powerful to be just,” Yeşil said.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , December/16/2013


Related News

Part of Turkish media say have been shut out by government

Turkish media close to a US-based Islamic preacher accused by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of seeking to usurp power say they have been shut out of government press events in a move they see as evidence of Turkey’s deteriorating press freedoms.

Turkish “religious advisors” are keeping an eye on Erdogan opponents in Belgium

Turkey is pressuring “religious advisors” to keep an eye on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s opponents in 38 countries, including Belgium. In Belgium, how the religious councillor at the Turkish embassy behaved could be seen as interference.

Who are these pro-Erdogan mobs who even beheaded a soldier?

Hours after the failed coup attempt, pro-Erdogan mobs flooded the streets of Turkey. They behead soldiers, storm military headquarters. But who are they?

Hizmet in Context: Societal Islam Versus Political Islam

The Hizmet movement is according to Ebaugh (2010) a civic movement rooted in Islam that is independent from the state. Others see it simply as a faith- based movement (Esposito and Yilmaz 2010). Agai (2004) describes it as an education network and Hendrick (2009) as a global pressure group to promote Turkish interests.

Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles

Mr. Erdogan is trying to drag the United States into the argument by threatening to demand Mr. Gulen’s extradition to Turkey. Some experts say there is no legal basis for an extradition request because there are no charges or legal cases against Mr. Gulen, who has permanent-resident status and has lived in rural Pennsylvania since 1997.

Turkey’s leading prep school network rejects claims it cheated on state exams

Turkey’s leading prep school network has categorically rejected allegations that its teachers were involved in mass cheating, describing pro-government circles’ latest claim an attempt to “defame” and abolish public service state exams.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

The lethal and bitter aftermath of Turkey’s failed coup

Turkish School Officially Opens in Rwanda

Report: Police chief sets up teams to torture post-coup detainees

The Gulen Movement has become Turkey’s most significant export

Police takes careful approach on Turkish schools issue

Filipino student wins Turkish international schools contest

Int’l press organizations call for release of journalist Keneş, condemn arrest

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News