Kosovo Extradition of Wanted Turkish ‘Gulenist’ Suspended

Ugur Toksoy at Pristina Basic Court on Thursday. Photo: BIRN
Ugur Toksoy at Pristina Basic Court on Thursday. Photo: BIRN


Date posted: December 19, 2017

Die Morina

Kosovo prosecutor Ali Rexha on Thursday withdrew his request for the court to allow the extradition of Turkish citizen Ugur Toksoy, who was arrested on October 27 on a warrant arrest issued by Turkey.

Turkey accuses Toksoy of having links to the so-called Gulen movement, which it claims masterminded an attempted coup in the country in July last year.

During the hearing set to decide on Toksoy’s extradition, prosecutor Rexha told court that he was withdrawing the request due to lack of evidence.

The withdrawal of the request means the extradition procedure is suspended.

Toksoy’s lawyer Adem Vokshi said Turkey did not provide enough evidence to justify its request for extradition. This means that if there is new evidence, the prosecution can refile the request.

The decision to arrest Toksoy made Kosovo the first country in the Balkans to detain a Turkish teacher for alleged links to Muslim cleric Fetullah Gulen, who Ankara alleges is the head of a terrorist movement.

Turkey claims that Toksoy is one of the leaders of the Gulen movement, which it calls the ‘Fethullah Terrorist Organisation’, or ‘FETO’, which it accuses of being behind last July’s failed coup.

Ankara says Toksoy was in Kosovo gathering funds for the movement, which he would then send to Turkey. But these claims have been denied by Toksoy.

The court in Pristina on October 29 heard that in Kosovo, Toksoy worked as a coordinator for the NGO Atmosfera, which runs the Hasan Nahi school in Prizren.

Gulen, a former ally of Turkish President Recept Tayyip Erdogan, now lives in exile in the US and insists he had nothing to do with the attempted coup.

That has not stopped Ankara from arresting more than 60,000 of his alleged followers in Turkey, closing schools and colleges linked to him and demanding that foreign governments do the same.

Turkish officials have pressured Kosovo and other states in the Balkan region to suppress Gulen-linked NGOs and colleges and hand over alleged Gulen movement members.

In Turkey, several hundred thousand people from the army, police, academia, media, NGOs and the private sector have also lost their jobs in the post-coup crackdown.

 

Source: Balkan Insight , December 14, 2017


Related News

Journalists and Writers Foundation gathers all colors of Turkey at iftar

The evening began with a concert by a musical group and a welcome message from GYV Honorary President Fethullah Gülen. Many of those present expressed their wishes for peace and tolerance. Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin underlined the importance of the dinner, hoping that Ramadan would be an opportunity to enhance ties with brothers.

Turkish school leaves tight quarters for spacious former Wayne corporate building

MINJAE PARK, STAFF WRITER Colorful desks and chairs fill the rooms, and lockers line the walls, but the campus of the ambitious Turkish school that moved to Wayne this year still looks a lot like the corporate offices it once was. The middle- and high-school students at the Pioneer Academy‘s remodeled 165,000-square-foot, $11 million building lug […]

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

In the first chapter of his book: “A Genocide in the Making?” Zooming on “Erdogan’s regime crackdown on the Gulen Movement”, Dr. Bulent Kenes clearly refers to “genocide” as a set of “systematic violent crimes committed against groups with the intent to terminate their existence.”

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

Mahir Zeynalov has the distinction of being one of the first journalists kicked out of Turkey by the government of President Tayyip Erdogan in a crackdown on the media.

Erdoğan’s accusation that Hizmet organized the coup attempt is noxious and absurd

The name of that “terrorist organization” was not spoken, but Ökem was referring to the so-called Fethullahçı Terör Örgütü. To the rest of the world, it’s the Hizmet movement founded by Fethullah Gülen, a former close and important ally of Erdoğan. No one else sees it as violent. Erdoğan’s accusation that it organized the coup attempt is noxious and absurd.

The confidence crisis and remaining wounds

I have long been pondering on some questions which are bugging everyone. When an appointed prosecutor launches an investigation into appointed bureaucrats and MİT members’ activities involving a terrorist organization, why should this be described as a “civilian coup”? BÜLENT KENEŞ, Thursday February 23, 2012 While on my way to work on Thursday morning, a […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Our new neighbor [Al-Qaeda] poses a great risk for Turkey

Laughter-guaranteed terrorist organization indictment

Dissidents of the Turkish government are living in fear in Canada

Kazakh President congratulated ‘Katev’ Foundation on 20th anniversary

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for the Beirut Explosion

Kosovo Extradition of Wanted Turkish ‘Gulenist’ Suspended

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News