US intel director: Turkish purge impeding fight against ‘Islamic State’

James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence
James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence


Date posted: July 29, 2016

Turkey’s purge has removed military officers who’d been key figures in the US-led fight against the so-called “Islamic State,” says US intelligence head James Clapper. He called it a setback in US-Turkish cooperation.

James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence, told a security forum in Aspen, Colorado, on Thursday that many Turkish officials who had interacted with the Americans in the fight against the self-styled “Islamic State” (IS) group had been “purged or arrested.”

Since a failed coup two weeks ago, Turkish President Reccep Tayyip Erdogan has reacted with multiple clampdowns, including arrests of more than 15,800 people, among them 10,000 from Turkey’s military.

“It’s having an effect because it has affected all segments of the national security apparatus in Turkey,” Clapper told the Aspen forum. “There’s no question this is going to set back and make more difficult our cooperation with the Turks.”

Listening posts, air base

Turkey hosts US troops and planes at Incirlik, a NATO airbase. It also hosts US listening posts and a CIA base from which the intelligence agency has supported moderate Syrian rebel forces.

Also speaking at the forum, US Central Command General Joseph Votel said he understood that some of Erdogan’s suspects were in jail.

Votel said Incirlik – a base where reputedly US nuclear warheads are bunkered – had resumed normal operations.

Votel added that he was more worried about “longer-term” impacts of the Turkish coup attempt and purge on US counter-terrorism operations in the Middle East.

Beyond Incirlik, there were other “frictions” in the US-Turkish relationship, said Votel, without elaborating. “We’re got ways to mitigate that, to manage that right now,” Votel said. “And we are.”

Erdogan wants direct MIT control

Erdogan’s spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said the president wanted Turkey’s armed forces and its national intelligence agency MIT brought under presidential control.

Turkey’s remnant media said such a change would require a constitutional amendment, requiring Erdogan’s Islamist-rooted AK Party to seek opposition support in parliament.

Gulen denies involvement

Erdogan’s government accuses Sunni Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen – in self-imposed US exile – and followers of his Hizmet movement of being behind the failed coup, a charge denied by Gulen.

Washington has responded cautiously to Erdogan’s request to extradite the 75-year-old from Philadelphia.

US State Department spokesman John Kirby said Thursday the US was “deeply concerned” about the latest reports of Turkish closures of news and media outlets.

ipj/msh (Reuters, dpa)

Source: Deutsche Welle , July 29, 2016


Related News

Turkish anti-terrorism police carried out raids in six cities, detaining at least five people with alleged links to al-Qaida

The police raid “is a deliberate attack on the IHH,” said Yasar Kutluay, the group’s secretary general. “They are trying to portray the group as an organization with links to terrorism.” He blamed Israel and Gulen’s supporters, for the operation — a charge Gulen’s movement immediately rejected as “slander and false incrimination.”

Toward an Islamic Enlightenment: The Gulen Movement (Book Review)

BOOK REVIEW Ten years after co-editing his first book on the Gülen movement, Hakan Yavuz, a leading scholar on Turkish society, brings his academic prowess and careful observations to bear on this dynamic phenomenon in Toward an Islamic Enlightenment: The Gülen Movement.1 This well-timed book not only provides an update on the growth of the […]

Bangladeshi scholar publishes book on Gülen

İBRAHIM SAĞIR, DHAKA A ceremony celebrating the publication of a book called “Introducing Fethullah Gülen to the Bengal and Beyond” by Professor Maimul Ahsan Khan was held at the Turkish Cultural Center in Dhaka on Saturday. Focused on the life, ideas and work of Gülen, who was selected as the world’s top intellectual by the […]

Veteran who lost legs in PKK attack removed from civil service over Gulen links

A Kırıkkale man who lost his both legs in a PKK attack while doing military service in the eastern province of Bingöl, has been sacked from a state institution after authorities found out that private colleges linked to Gülen Movement granted scholarship to his children.

Peace Islands Institute Honors Remarkable Individuals

Peace Islands Institute’s 5th Annual Award Ceremony was held on June 3rd, 2012. Over 200 guests and many dignitaries joined PII to applaud accomplishments of the honorees. NJ Assembly Speaker Hon. Sheila Oliver said, “It is phenomenal to see an organization (Peace Islands Institute) has so many leaders from the corporate sector, government, non profit sector, […]

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

ISIS ‘Infiltrates’ Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation

Kimse Yok Mu to build 4 schools in Sudan

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

‘Hizmet’s solution against radicalism should be announced to world’

5 million people expected to attend 11th Int’l Turkish Olympiads

Fethullah Gülen extends condolences over death of Turkish literary giant

A cami and cemevi together

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News