Minister’s remarks on Gülen cause AK Party members to resign


Date posted: January 28, 2014

İSTANBUL
The ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) Erzurum provincial deputy head and two more members of the provincial council resigned from their party due to Minister of Internal Affairs Efkan Ala’s verbal attacks on the Hizmet movement and its leader, Fethullah Gülen, on Monday.

AK Party provincial deputy head Mehmet Akif Kara, along with board members Nihat Arslan and Fevzi Şanal, handed in their letters of resignation on Tuesday. Kara has said that Ala’s remarks on the Hizmet movement and Gülen were a considerable influence on their decision to quit.

“The reason we have decided to quit is the defamation campaign launched against the Hizmet movement and its moral leader, Gülen, after the Dec. 17 operation that has occupied the [country’s] agenda for the last month,” Kara said, adding that the ugly allegations and defamation campaign against Gülen have offended their consciences.

Ala clearly, but without openly naming it, slammed the Hizmet movement and its head, Gülen, in a meeting held in Erzurum to introduce mayoral candidates.

“You are denigrating the people — among whom you are based — who are working for the sake of God. Who are you? Who are you? Are you strong enough to deal with this? Is this nation helping you in this? How dare you rise up and initiate a coup plot?” Ala said in his speech.

Ala’s speech was also condemned by other residents of Erzurum.

ARABAŞLIK Civil society organizations call on Erdoğan to stop slanderous accusations

Meanwhile, 70 civil society organizations in Erzurum have called on Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to stop what they called “his slanderous accusations” against the Hizmet movement.

Critical of the defamation campaign against members of the faith-based Hizmet movement, Mustafa Yıldız, head of the Eastern Anatolia Industrialists and Businessmen’s Federation’s (DASİDEF) high advisory board, said in a joint statement made on behalf of 70 civil society organizations on Monday that “it is better to get rid of the behaviors that are damaging our fraternity.”

Yıldız said the government initiative to close private preparatory schools (dershane), the alleged profiling of Hizmet-affiliated individuals — including classifying, archiving and monitoring them with reference to their religions, opinions and lifestyles — and the allegations that the Hizmet movement is behind an ongoing graft scandal are efforts to harass the movement and cast doubt on its achievements. Yıldız stated that the Hizmet movement is a civil movement that uses volunteers from various segments of society. It serves the public benefit, he said, and labels such as “parallel state” and “Hashashin” are a defamation campaign that is much more aggressive than the tactics widely seen during the postmodern coup of Feb. 28, 1997.

“Blacklisting the businessmen who give their heart to the Hizmet movement and attacking Turkish schools abroad through Turkish ambassadors is wounding our consciences,” Yıldız said.

Erdoğan described a corruption probe involving former ministers of his government as a “treacherous plot” to sabotage Turkey’s international standing during his speech at an annual gathering of ambassadors in Ankara on Jan. 15 and ordered Turkish ambassadors serving abroad to “tell the truth” to their foreign interlocutors.

Without openly naming it, Erdoğan has accused the Hizmet movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen and its foreign collaborators of attempting to overthrow his government through a “judicial coup” ever since the corruption probe that shook his government became public on Dec. 17, 2013 with a wave of detentions.

Noting that the Hizmet movement receives support, interest and praise from many corners of the world, Yıldız called for a stop to all efforts to defame the Hizmet movement.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 28, 2014


Related News

Targeted by dictator, Turkish family seeks refuge in Albany

Three generations of a Turkish family were stripped of their livelihoods, life savings, friends and culture in a sweeping purge by the authoritarian regime of Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. They languish as political refugees in a cramped apartment along a busy commercial stretch of Delaware Avenue.

4-year-old visits dad in jail on Children’s Day wearing T-shirt with newborn brother’s picture

Minutes before paying a visit to her jailed father early on Sunday morning, H.A. was photographed in front of Sakarya L Type Prison wearing a T-shirt bearing a photo of her newborn baby brother.

A Turkish couple spent their wedding day feeding 4,000 Syrian refugees

Hatice Avci, a spokesperson for aid organisation Kimse Yok Mu, told i100.co.uk that last Thursday the newlyweds donated the savings their families had put together for a party to share their wedding celebrations with the refugees living in and around the town of Kilis.

India must understand Erdogan’s ideological motives for seeking extradition of Gülenists

Since its inception in India, Hizmet is known for its peace activism, interfaith dialogue and counter-extremism. Operating in the country through interfaith dialogue centres, educational institutions and cultural associations, it is articulating an evolving narrative of peace, pluralism and non-violence based on the spiritual ideas and principles of Gülen’s progressive and dialogic narrative of Sufism, as this research paper also elaborates.

As Turkey Gears Up to Vote, Its ‘Traitors’ Speak Out

In Turkey, a national trauma has turned into a never-ending nightmare for hundreds of thousands of citizens. Erdogan aimed to root out all Gulen sympathizers and turn them into what one local columnist called “socially dead people.” The government’s crackdown has extended well beyond the Gulenists. Leftist activists, Kurdish politicians, and dissenting academics have all been targeted.

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Spy agency planning false-flag terror acts in crowded areas, whistleblower claims

Turks are not cows

THY passengers strongly criticize embargo on Today’s Zaman

Who is Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed for coup attempt in Turkey?

‘Turkey using political rather than legal pressure against US to get Gulen extradited’

The Gulen Movement has become Turkey’s most significant export

Schools Founded by Volunteers to Light the Way for the German Educational System

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News