Profiled lawyer files criminal complaint against MİT, MGK


Date posted: December 17, 2013

Mehmet Ali Gültekin, a lawyer registered with the Ağrı Bar, has filed a criminal complaint against the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), the National Security Council (MGK) and the General Staff’s intelligence department after he realized that he had been profiled after reading reports in the Taraf and Radikal dailies.

“I learned I was profiled in the documents published in Radikal and Taraf on Dec. 9. A while ago, I passed an exam to be a judge but I believe I was eliminated during the interview stage because I was profiled. Profiling does not fit in democracies but in countries in which primitive methods of administration are used. MİT profiled civil society groups which are not linked to criminal groups using the term ‘reactionary forces,’ which is not defined as a legal term. Therefore, MİT has committed an illegal act,” Gültekin told reporters on Monday.

Turkish dailies had published documents revealing that MİT shared information on individuals who were profiled according to their ideological or religious leanings with government agencies — including the Prime Ministry — in 2012 and 2013.

The documents contrasted starkly with earlier claims by state officials who confirmed the government’s profiling activities but argued that the information compiled was never acted on.

Last month, Taraf began publishing a string of confidential documents suggesting that the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and MİT had collected information on a large number of individuals through 2013 at the request of the MGK. The targets were reportedly members of the Hizmet movement, a faith-based community inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The daily also claimed that other religious groups that had voiced criticism or disapproval of the government’s activities were profiled as well.

Stressing that the act of profiling runs contrary to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and Article 15 of the Turkish Constitution, Gültekin also filed a claim against the same authorities, seeking TL 50,000 in damages.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 16, 2013


Related News

UN demands access to 3 Turks forcibly returned from Malaysia

The United Nations Human Rights Committee has urged Turkey to confirm the whereabouts of three Turkish nationals who were detained in Malaysia at Ankara’s request due to their ties to the faith-based Gülen movement, a statement by the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform said.

Erdoğan’s way: scare, divide and rule

The last straw [man] by Erdoğan came this week when a draft version of a law seeking the closure of all kinds of privately established prep schools (dershanes) leaked to the media. The bill is so drastic that even private tutoring for kids at homes by parents is banned. The intrusive move is seen as a huge blow to free enterprise and the right to education, prompting concerns that the closure of these schools will block upward mobility in Turkish society.

Fethullah Gulen: The Idea Architect

Kazakh writers and academicians published a book to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Writers Union of Kazakhstan. 45 Kazakh writers and academics visited the Turkish schools all around the world and wrote articles about Fethullah Gulen, which combined into a book titled “The Idea Architect”. Many writers and academicians attended the introduction and celebration […]

Ex-minister denies claims over helping ‘parallel structure’ while in office

Former Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin has denied allegations in a recent police report which claimed that he helped the so-called ‘parallel structure’ setting up its own cadre at the Justice Ministry during his term in office.

Legal action against Gülen in the US: A golden opportunity for Gülen

No one will be able to say members of the movement are complaining about Erdoğan in the US. They will defend themselves against Erdoğan’s attorneys who are paid millions of dollars. Thus, Erdoğan has placed a red carpet in front of the movement. The rest is up to how the movement performs…

Don’t lose the plot

Turkey’s attempted coup shocked an already tense society. At least 240 people were killed, and the country narrowly averted a disastrous military takeover. The plot was led in part by followers of the Gulen movement, a secretive Muslim sect that runs a global network of schools, charities and businesses and has infiltrated the Turkish state. It is only natural that Turks should be determined to identify and punish the conspirators.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

TURKEY: Fethullah Gulen profile

Her mother was detained right after her birth, she is now growing up in Athens

Not appearing in the worst selfie in history

A Peace Conference to be held at UN in Geneva

Hundreds gather in front of Silivri Prison to protest media crackdown

Interview about Hizmet Movment at Maxwell School of Syracuse University

Alevis demand equal citizenship, disappointed with the state

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News