Deputy PM says image of gov’t-Hizmet fight ugly

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç


Date posted: August 28, 2013

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday said the image of a fight between his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and Hizmet movement is very ugly, adding that the government has never wanted to reach such a point.
Speaking on a program on Habertürk TV, he said: “If there are problems, we can discuss them within the criteria set by Mr. [Fethullah] Gülen.”

Currently, there is a lot of discussion on social media and among some media circles about an alleged and growing tension between the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, and the government.

Earlier this month, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) responded to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement that the foundation said are designed to pit the government against the movement and create tension between the two.

The GYV listed a total of 11 widespread allegations against the movement and gave responses to each of them.

When asked about the GYV’s statement, Arınç said it is not right to discuss such issues on TV or via the press.

“Whenever there is a need to talk, we, our prime minister, ministers could welcome individuals representing the movement in our houses or offices and talk to one another. There have been such meetings recently. For me, the movement is very valuable and they do valuable service. It is not a political institution, but they do important service for the nation’s future in a wide array of fields from education to healthcare. They boost Turkey’s prestige in the international area,” he said.

Gülen is highly respected both in Turkey and in many countries around the world for educational activities he has pioneered, along with his efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the globe. He is in self-imposed exile in the US, though there is no legal hurdle that prevents him from returning to Turkey.

When asked about claims that individuals close to the Hizmet movement are eliminated from public offices by the government, Arınç said such claims are unacceptable.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 27, 2013


Related News

Turkish businessmen have first iftar with Syrian refugees in Hatay

A group of Turkish businessman traveled to Kilis province on Wednesday to join an iftar dinner with Syrian refugees, according to media reports. After iftar, one of the Syrian refugees gave a speech in Turkish, saying: “We are refugees here and you have left your homes and your children and you have come here to have iftar with us. We are very happy and grateful for what you have done for us.”

Gülen calls for broadening freedoms, improvement in Kurdish rights

Well-known Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has encouraged the broadening of rights and freedoms of people and the improvement of ties with Kurds to restore peace and security in areas long plagued by a simmering conflict that has killed at least 40,000 people. Speaking to Rudaw, an online newspaper in northern Iraq’s Arbil, Gülen touched […]

Will the AKP lose votes in disagreement with Gülen movement?

It is very likely that the real purpose of the government is indeed to punish the Gülen movement. Many political observers disagree with such a claim however, AKP officials have not find any convincing argument that will convince conservative people that the government is not punishing the Gülen movement, a movement that has touched many lives among the conservative people in the heartland of Anatolia.

German intel expert says, based on CIA, BND reports, Erdoğan was behind failed coup

German intelligence expert and author Erich Schmidt-Eenboom has said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, not the faith-based Gülen movement, was behind a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 based on intelligence reports from the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the German Federal Intelligence Service (BND).

Taraf, Baransu file criminal complaint against PM Erdoğan

The Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu have filed a criminal complaint against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan over charges of involvement in an “attempt to influence a fair trial,” slander and insult. The daily and Baransu also filed a TL 50,000 compensation case against PM Erdoğan for non-pecuniary damages.

The First Private Kurdish TV Channel in Turkey

President Gül, after watching the demo of the Dünya TV, said that “this is it, Turkey should normalize”. He further said, “if only this broadcasting had started 10 years ago, we could have been much more normalized already”.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu affiliate Time to Help volunteers back in Belgium from Africa

What is wrong with independent journalism?

Dismissed policeman detained while applying to post-coup rights commission

Turkey’s trampling of freedoms is Europe’s problem too

Saudi scholar finds what he has been looking for in Gulen

The Community has infiltrated the European Court of Human Rights as well!

World Human Rights Day: Concerns On Hizmet Movement In 38 Countries Raised

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News