EU lends support to mosque-cemevi project


Date posted: September 12, 2013

The European Union, which has been closely following the rights of Alevis in Turkey for years, has lent its support to a mosque-cemevi project to be built in Ankara. The European Commission said it supported dialogue that led to mutual understanding and peaceful coexistence, calling these principles the “hallmark of the EU.”

Peter Stano, the spokesperson for European Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy Stefan Füle, underlined that it was up to religious communities to decide how to build their places of worship. “The European Commission supports dialogue between all religious communities leading to mutual understanding and peaceful coexistence, this being the hallmark of the EU.”

“It is for religious communities to decide what, where and how to build,” he said.

Drawing attention to the exclusion of cemevis from Turkish state funds, Stano said the commission had made it clear on various occasions before that cemevis should be recognized as places of worship and benefit from provisions of relevant legislations.

The EU Commission has shown keen interest in the rights of Alevis and non-Muslim groups in its yearly Turkey progress reports published every autumn. In its last report published in October last year, though the commission had welcomed an official apology by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for the Dersim Massacre of 1937, it strongly criticized the lack of improvement regarding the rights of Alevis.

“Concrete follow-up of the opening made in 2009 to the Alevis is lacking. Cem houses were not officially recognised and Alevis experienced difficulties in establishing new places of worship. Alevis were concerned by the marking of many houses of Alevi citizens in a number of provinces and by incidents against them. Complaints were submitted to the prosecutors’ offices by Alevi associations; judicial and administrative investigations are continuing. A demand to open a cem house in the parliament was rejected on the grounds that Alevi MPs could go to the mosque. Several commemoration ceremonies by Alevis were prevented by police, some through the use of force as was a demonstration against the closure of the Madimak court case. Some Alevis encountered job discrimination in the civil service,” the report said.

The project to be built in the Mamak district of Ankara envisages a mosque and a cemevi built together in a bid to end the enmity between the two sects of Islam.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 11, 2013


Related News

Int’l language festival students given high-level welcome in Australia

Some 60 students from 19 countries who came to Australia as part of the 13th International Language and Culture Festival have received an enthusiastic welcome by senior Australian officials.

GYV warns on provocative remarks, urges respect for peaceful protests

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Friday called for the government to refrain from provocative statements that may undermine peace in the society and to respect the right of freedom of assembly, while denouncing the violence displayed in mass protests across Turkey that was triggered by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) attacks on the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani.

Nigerian students win at global contests

Students of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, who represented Nigeria at the International Young Inventors Olympiads (IYIPO), have won a silver award.

Turkey’s fight against Gülen in the South Caucasus

The Turkish authorities’ fight against real and imagined enemies in the Gülen movement has now reached Azerbaijan and Georgia.

From ‘parallel state’ to ‘terrorist organization’: Dissecting Erdoğan’s labeling of Gülen

Yet more than three years since the public feud between Erdoğan and Gülen began, the allegations against the Gülen movement of infiltrating the state, plotting coups, and proselytizing students through its schools still rest on speculation.

Fatih, Yamanlar, Samanyolu schools win medals at science Olympiad

İstanbul’s private Fatih Science High School, Ankara’s private Samanyolu Science High School and İzmir’s private Yamanlar Science High School picked up several medals on Wednesday in the 20th National Science Olympiad and the 17th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen seeks to dismiss US lawsuit, says it is ‘pure political theater’

Arrested Turkish TV chief writes an open letter from his jail cell

Turkey after the purge: Journalists and judges pay the price

Russian envoy’s murderer attended sermons of controversial pro-Erdoğan cleric

Turkish Human Rights Violations Put Under Microscope

Gülen’s lawyer files criminal complaint against several Twitter accounts

500 Food Packages to 500 Families

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News