Letter campaign launched for Turkey’s imprisoned women, mothers


Date posted: February 7, 2018

An initiative called Set Them Free has launched a letter campaign to show solidarity with women in jail and mothers who are incarcerated with their children.

In the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016, more than 17,000 women from all walks of life including teachers, doctors and housewives have been jailed in Turkey on coup charges in government-led operations. There are currently more than 700 children accompanying their mothers in Turkish jails.

The “Care, Share, Send a Letter” campaign calls for letters addressed to the mothers and women imprisoned in Turkey to give them hope, to stand in solidarity with them and to remind them that they are not alone.

The Set them Free initiative is calling on people to write letters full of love, hope and dignity that will empower the women in jail.

“We kindly urge you to use positive and encouraging language in the letter in line with our mission to give hope and empowerment to the jailed women. We expect letters to be emailed to sethemfreetr@gmail.com. After the campaign end date, Set Them Free will print the emailed letters and post them to the person that you have addressed,” says the initiative.

The letters will be kept confidential and no letter will be published on any of the platforms unless the correspondent gives authorization for Set Them Free to share their letters as a sample for other participants.

Set Them Free says it has received approval for the campaign from the relatives of mothers and female journalistssuch as Vahide Kutkut, jailed since February 2017 and mother of two children; Gülizar Diken Akbaba, jailed since July 2017 with her baby Miraz; Selma Polat, jailed since December 2017 with her baby Emir; journalist Ayşenur Parıldak, jailed since August 2016;Meltem Oktay, jailed since April 2017; and Hanım Büşra Erdal, jailed since July 2016.

“If you know any jailed mother or woman in person and have a connection to obtain an authorization from the family, please feel free to contact us, and we would be glad to include them as well,” the initiative says.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , February 3, 2018


Related News

Fethullah Gulen Acquitted

The Turkish Supreme Court of Appeals has rejected the Chief Prosecutor’s Office’s objection to the acquittal of scholar Fethullah Gulen, which was upheld by the appeals court in early March. Gulen had been charged with “establishing an illegal organization”. The objection was soundly defeated by a 16 to 7 vote. Fethullah Gulen’s acquittal has been […]

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Erdogan may keep winning, but it wont’ do Turkey any good

I don’t believe Ankara is ever really going to stray from its partnership with the U.S., because Turkey simply cannot afford it. The coup — failed though it was — has left the formerly expanding Turkish economy gasping. Credit-rating agencies have lowered the nation’s stock, and the purging of coup conspirators, both real and imagined, has left tens of thousands of crucial private- and public-sector positions empty. Economic growth, meanwhile, is expected to dip.

The mosque-cemevi project and the settlement process

ALİ ASLAN KILIÇ, ANKARA In Muş, where I was during the final days of August for the anniversary of the Battle of Manzigert, I had the chance to speak with citizens from both Manzigert and Ağrı about the terror problem and the solution process aimed at Turkish-Kurdish peace. Last Sunday, I was in the neighborhood […]

Turkey Faces Its Iran 1979 Moment

Turkey is at a pivotal point in its history following the failed coup attempt of July 15. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, having survived the coup plot, won fresh legitimacy and gained a new ally: religious fervor in the streets. Mr. Erdogan can use this impetus either to become an executive-style president, or he can encourage the forces of religion to take over the country, crowning himself as an Islamic leader.

Another woman detained on coup charges one day after giving birth

Fatma Türkmen, who gave birth to a baby in Ankara on Monday, was reportedly detained on Tuesday over alleged links to the Gülen group.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

IFJ representative denied permission to visit journalist Karaca in prison

Pillar of Society or Threat to Democracy?

Police officer reassigned for attending dershane picnic

Dutch politicians outraged over new “Gulen-List”

Judge suffering cancer jailed in Kocaeli, wife under detention in Tokat

The gravest-ever smear

Does the Gülen (Hizmet) Movement Deny the Armenian Genocide?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News