Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

International Mazar-i Sharif Afghan Turk High School
International Mazar-i Sharif Afghan Turk High School


Date posted: March 4, 2017

Abdul Wali Arian


Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.


Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution.

This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools.

Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

“After this we will not have the 99% success rate in the Kankor exam or achievements in international competitions,” Ahmad Fawad Haidari, deputy director of Afghan-Turk schools said.


Related News:

Taliban Shuts Down Turkish Schools in Afghanistan

Karzai honored Turkish schools in his country

Turkish schools in Afghanistan won 147 medals this year


The primary stages of the handover have been completed and a source has told TOLOnews that the National Security Council (NSC) is responsible for the handover.

“The Government took the decision to accede to the Turkish government request. No department alone has done this, but it was a joint effort by government,” said Tawab Ghorzang, spokesman of NSC.

Officials of the schools have warned that the handover of the schools would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

Afghan-Turk schools have been supporting by Fethullah Gulen, head of Gulen movement. After the failed military cope in Turkey, tensions between president Rajab Tayeb Erdogan and Gulen increased. Erdogan ordered all countries to handover the schools to Turkish government.

“Gulen is not owner of the schools, he has no direct impact on the schools,” Haidari said.

Afghan-Turk schools have built good reputations in education and their students have brought hundreds of medals to the country. Some say the government decision face serious reactions from the public.

Afghan-Turk schools have been active in Afghanistan in last 20 years and nearly 8.000 girls and boy students are studying at the schools.


More Related News:

Afghan Turkish Schools have brought 75 medals to Afghanistan

NATO Secretary Rasmussen praises the Turkish schools in Afghanistan

Afghan-Turkish schools win six medals at int’l olympiad

British Foreign Secretary praises Turkish schools in Afghanistan

 

Source: Tolo News , February 23, 2017


Related News

Plot against Gülen movement put into action based on lies, false confessions

An alleged secret plot against members of the faith-based Gülen movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which became public last year, is being put into action step by step based on questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Erdogan pushes to close down Gulen-inspired Turkish schools in Africa

Turkish President Erdogan is pressing ahead for the closure of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement (aka Hizmet movement) in African countries. There are more than 100 Gülen-inspired schools in Africa, as well as other parts of the world. The government praised these schools in the past as key institutions promoting Turkish culture abroad.

Turkish gov’t planning slaughter of jailed Gülen followers in staged riot, lawyer claims

The Turkish government is headed for mass killings of people jailed over alleged or real links to the Gülen movement, in a staged riot in Silivri prison, a lawyer representing a former police chief imprisoned as part of a crackdown against the movement claimed, underlining that he is worried about the lives of his clients.

A warning from and for a troubled land – how easily a democracy can be dismantled

Recently a messenger came to Colorado with dark warnings from a troubled land: Abdulhamit Bilici, the former editor-in-chief of Zaman, Turkey’s go-to newspaper before President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s brutal crackdown. You don’t often meet people like Abdulhamit Bilici in the United States. You almost can’t believe that someone with his backstory sits before you.

A Genocide in the Making – Genocidal action stage by stage by the Turkish government against the Hizmet movement

Dr Ismail Sezgin, Director of Centre for Hizmet Studies is questioning if a genocide is in the making in Turkey, exploring the development of a genocidal action stage by stage by the Turkish government against the Hizmet movement.

Turkey Concedes: No Evidence Linking Gulen to Coup Sent to Washington

Turkey is conceding it has not sent any evidence to Washington linking Fethullah Gulen to the failed July 15 coup attempt, despite increasingly angry calls by Ankara for the United States to extradite the Pennsylvania-based cleric or suffer a severe downgrade in diplomatic relations.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Joint mosque-cemevi project launched in Tokat

European Parliament calls for fair trial of suspects arrested in anti-coup operations in Turkey

Pro-gov’t dailies call Japanese foundation ‘parallel’ to denigrate award for Gülen

Separate state and religion

[Part 1] Islamic scholar Gülen calls conditions in Turkey worse than military coup

3rd Annual International Women’s Conference

AFSV Denounces President Erdogan’s Seizure of Leading Newspaper Zaman

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News