Pro-gov’t columnist claims Obama could be Gülen’s White House ‘imam’


Date posted: October 20, 2016

Mehmet Barlas, a columnist from the pro-government Sabah daily who is known as a staunch supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, claimed in his column on Wednesday that US President Barack Obama could be an “imam” of the faith-based Gülen movement in Washington.

“Does not the question ‘Could Obama be the imam of FETÖ supporters in Washington?’pop into your mind from time to time? Since his [Obama] father is from Kenya, might not this family have been influenced by FETÖ’s activities in Africa?” wrote Barlas.

FETÖ, which stands for Fethullahist Terror Organization, is an expression coined by the Turkish government to refer to the Gülen movement. In the context of Barlas’s article, an imam does not indicate an official imam but a representative acting in the name of the movement.

The Turkish government, which has been waging an all-out war against the Gülen movement following the eruption of a corruption scandal in late 2013 in which senior government members were implicated, carried its war to new levels after a failed military coup attempt on July 15.

Although the Gülen movement strongly denies having any role in the putsch or the corruption investigations, the government and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accuse it of having masterminded both the coup and the corruption investigations, a claim not backed up by evidence.

Despite the fact that the government refers to the movement as a terrorist organization, a high criminal court in Hatay province in Turkey’s south in early October rejected an indictment on alleged members of FETÖ, saying that there is no such terrorist organization officially identified.

Barlas said the reason for the emergence of such a suspicion is the policy pursued by Obama. He said Obama is acting as if Turkey is not a NATO ally and is instead an enemy country, and he is standing behind Fethullah Gülen, a Turkish Islamic cleric who lives in Pennsylvania and inspired the Gülen movement with his teachings, “under a judicial pretext.”

The Turkish government has been asking the US to extradite Gülen; however, US officials have reiterated that such a decision can only be made by a US court based on concrete evidence.

Source: Turkish Minute , October 19, 2016


Related News

‘All religious groups and communities face great danger’

Religious sociologist Muhammet Çakmak is of the view that the logic of, “You are either with us or you are nothing,” threatens all religious groups and communities in Turkey. He also holds that this approach has no scholarly value or validity.

Plot against Gülen movement put into action based on lies, false confessions

An alleged secret plot against members of the faith-based Gülen movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which became public last year, is being put into action step by step based on questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Turkey arrests Fethullah Gulen’s barber from 26 years ago

At least 16 people have been detained in the western province of Izmir, including a 50-year-old hairdresser, identified as İ.D., who used to give haircut to Fethullah Gülen during 1990s.

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Since the launch of the major corruption operation on Dec. 17, 2013, more than 20,000 police officers, bureaucrats, judges and prosecutors have been reassigned for no official reason other than their suspected links to the Hizmet movement.

Mr. Erdogan’s Jaw-Dropping Hypocrisy

Tayyip Erdogan, has gall. He has jailed tens of thousands of people, shuttered more than 150 media companies and called a referendum in April to enlarge his powers. Yet when local authorities in Germany, for security reasons, barred two Turkish ministers from campaigning among Turks living in Germany, Mr. Erdogan exploded, accusing Germany of Nazi practices and knowing nothing about democracy.

Erdoğan, Hizmet, assassins

Former Interior Minister Idris Naim Şahin stated that “the government is run by a small oligarchic elite in a way that excludes broad segments of the party constituency and the Turkish people” is very explanatory vis-à-vis Mr. Erdoğan’s shockingly undemocratic and increasingly authoritarian performance over the last two years, since he received 50 per cent of the vote in the 2011 general elections.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

IFLC’s ‘colors of the world’ welcomed at European Parliament

Ambassadors back Gulen schools in Asia

Reflections from the US

FM Davutoglu praises Fethullah Gülen’s contribution to education

Kimse Yok Mu volunteer doctors back from Central African Republic

Jailed journalist facing new trial for not calling Gülen movement a terror organization

Turkey Faces International Trouble for Persecuting Gulen’s Schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News