Gulen suspect testifies before US Congress on recent coup attempt


Date posted: September 15, 2016

An alleged member of the Fetullah Gulen organization was invited on Wednesday to speak to a congressional panel on Turkey, a stunning move that could exacerbate tensions between Ankara and Washington.

Ahmet Sait Yayla was added to the original list of speakers to address the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia and Emerging Threats, just hours before the hearing on the 15 July coup attempt in Turkey.

Yayla, who was chairman of the sociology department at Harran University in Turkey, and a former police chief, escaped to the US in November 2015 after it became public he had alleged links to the organisation’s leader, Fetullah Gulen.

Turkey revoked Yayla’s passport and accused him of being a member of Gulen’s organisation it says carried out the coup attempt. Gulen has denied the accusations.

Analysts believe that allowing an alleged Gulen member to address US lawmakers will, undoubtedly, put further strain on relations between Ankara and Washington surrounding Gulen’s extradition.

During his panel presentation Yayla not only defended Gulen as being free from involvement in the coup attempt, but he even claimed the Turkish government and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plotted the overthrow.

Turkey has officially submitted to the US all evidence that Gulen’s network established a quasi-state within the Turkish state in an attempt to topple the government.

The Turkish authorities have meanwhile issued an official request for the extradition of Gulen under a 1979 treaty between Turkey and the US.

Yayla’s appearance triggered reaction from Turkish-American organisations in Washington.

The Turkish Heritage Organisation Vice President, Ali Cinar, told Anadolu Agency his organization had been trying for weeks to have one of its experts added to the list of speakers but was denied the request on grounds the panel was limited to just three speakers.

“There was just three speakers on the list until yesterday but we regretfully saw that Yayla was added to the list today,” Cinar said. “These kinds of stunning moves do not help to better Turkish-American relations.”

He said Turkish organisations would monitor developments surrounding Yayla’s testimony.

Source: Middle East Monitor , September 15, 2016


Related News

OSCE: Excessive penalties threaten journalism in Turkey

Dunja Mijatovic, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) representative on freedom of the media, has said excessive penalties against journalists may threaten investigative journalism and freedom of speech in Turkey. Mijatovic spoke against an investigation targeting Taraf journalist Mehmet Baransu for reporting on a confidential National Security Council (MGK) document that mentioned a planned crackdown on faith-based groups in Turkey.

Van NGOs: Calling Hizmet movement ‘virus’ and ‘hashhashin’ unnaceptable

Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) active in the eastern province of Van said in a press conference that the tension experienced in Turkey recently has ruined the country and that any remarks or behavior against the Hizmet movement will not be tolerated.

Best robot design award for Turkish school students in NY competition

ORHAN AKKURT, NEW YORK Students from the private Turkish school Pioneer Academy of Science were granted the prize of the best robot design in a competition in New York last week. Ninety-five schools participated in the competition FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) displaying designs of robots. At the end of the competition, the team from the […]

Arrested Turkish Development

Another day, another mass arrest in Turkey. At least 13 journalists were taken into custody in predawn raids Monday morning, including Murat Sabuncu, the editor of Cumhuriyet, the country’s leading secular newspaper.

Teachers, parents oppose Pak-Turk Schools takeover

A group calling itself the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges Parent-Teacher Association expressed concern on Saturday over reports that the government was going to hand over the school management to “a political entity”. Speaking at a press conference at the Raiwind Road campus, they said they would oppose such a move.

Twitter users protest plan to close prep schools in Turkey

Turkish Twitter users are in an uproar over a report that the government has drafted a law which would close thousands of private preparatory education centres (known as “dershanes”) across the country. The schools are reportedly a point of tension between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government and the Gülen movement that runs many of the schools.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

First purification, next habituation

Purge of ‘parallel state’ or legitimizing discrimination

‘State of rule of law suspended in Turkey, if not completely eliminated’

Prof. Scott Alexander: Hizmet is a social movement for peace

Thunder’s Enes Kanter says his father has been arrested and faces torture in Turkey

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I don’t have any regrets’

AKP politician Akdoğan: Gülen’s support for peace talks of vital importance

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News