Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony


Date posted: August 10, 2015

BAYRAM KAYA/ İZZETTİN ÇİÇEK / ANKARA

New testimony in a court case incriminating the faith-based Gülen movement indicates that police and prosecutors had pressured suspects to make false statements against the movement, revealing that the case was actually a plot developed by political authorities to taint the movement.

A government-driven indictment prepared by Ankara Public Prosecutor Serdar Coşkun that described Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views have inspired the Gülen movement, as a “terrorist” cited the testimony of well-known drug trafficker Kadir İnan, who has been convicted of 13 different crimes, as evidence.

At Thursday’s hearing, İnan said he was pressured during his interrogations by police officers and a prosecutor to make false statements about several people from the Gülen movement. İnan added that his statements, which were later presented to the court, were tampered with to frame the movement.

In a previous hearing in April, the prime suspect, police officer Seyit Akşit, confessed he had been promised he would be able to keep his position in the police force and receive immunity from prosecution in return for false testimony against the Gülen movement. Akşit added the issue had nothing to do with the so-called “parallel structure.”

Akşit is accused of passing information to İnan on the identities of informants in the drug world as well as details of a police investigation into a drug cartel in Ankara.

When a massive corruption investigation into the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) became public on Dec. 17, 2013, the AK Party responded to the graft allegations by removing police officers and members of the judiciary from their current positions and reappointing them to less influential posts or expelling them completely whenever possible. Then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims a “parallel structure” affiliated with the Gülen movement is behind the corruption probe and is seeking to overthrow his government, although he has produced no proof to support this claim.

Several businessmen close to the government as well as the sons of three ministers were detained in the investigation on Dec. 17. However, the probe was stalled after the government removed the prosecutors conducting the case and was later discontinued after pro-government prosecutors took over the case.

The Gülen movement is also known as the Hizmet movement, especially within Turkey.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 07, 2015


Related News

Terrorism charges against Karaca do not make sense, CHP leader says

The leader of the main opposition party has implied that the recent arrest of Hidayet Karaca, the general manager of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group (STV), on charges of heading a terrorist organization does not make sense as there is no solid evidence against the suspect.

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

Turkey’s Savings Deposit Insurance Fund announced it has sold Sürat Kargo and Sürat Lojistik, private logistics companies that had been transferred to the TMSF due to their alleged affiliation with the Gülen movement. Numerous private companies were transferred to TMSF due to their alleged links to the Gülen movement before and after a failed coup in 2016.

More evidence Erdogan behind coup

While the narrative voiced by Erdogan and echoed by the Turkish press blamed Gülen exclusively, many Turks and diplomats quietly harbored suspicions that Erdogan planned and staged the coup himself as a Turkish equivalent of the Reichstag Fire. That may once have sounded like a fringe conspiracy, but increasingly it seems the likely genesis of events last July.

Teacher gets arrested, wife suffers miscarriage amid gov’t crackdown on Gülen movement

A letter sent Turkey Purge has received from the elder brother –known by the initials A.D.– of an arrested school teacher reveals that those detained within past few years as part of the witch-hunt have been subjected to many kinds of ill-treatment under custody.

I see real patriotism in the Gülen movement

Serdar Turgut* 18 October 2011, Tuesday Patriotism, according to the ideology imposed on this country, was understood differently for me and people like me. In this approach, fighting against religious people was part of patriotism. Combating movements like the Gülen movement was imposed as a condition for patriotism. Many people believed these lies. When I […]

CHP Adana deputy lends support to mosque-cemevi project

Yet another figure from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Adana deputy Turgay Develi, has expressed his support for the first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project launched in Ankara last week. The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever mosque-cemevi cultural center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8 with the participation of a number of government figures, Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Dutch politicians outraged over new “Gulen-List”

Gülen-linked journalists organization voices concern over profiling claims

Students, Parents Protest Over Afghan-Turk Schools’ Transfer To Maarif Foundation

Conference declares gov’t needs to be more active in preventing domestic violence

‘Well, you were saying Hizmet is a religious movement?’

Turks in America condemn unlawful government action during the corruption probe

How to Interview Fethullah Gulen

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News