Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen (L) poses with his son, STV anchorman Kemal Gülen (Photo: DHA)
Seyfullah Gülen (L) poses with his son, STV anchorman Kemal Gülen (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: November 28, 2014

ORHAN YILDIRIM / ERZURUM

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Seyfullah Gülen, who was also the father of Samanyolu TV anchor Kemal Gülen, had been in the hospital due to heart and respiratory problems since suffering a heart attack four months ago. He was admitted to the intensive care unit a month ago after he was struck by partial paralysis. He had been on life support but failed to respond to treatment and passed away on Friday.

Known as Sibgatullah by his family, he was a retiree who had formerly worked at Atatürk University. He was married and a father of nine.

Şifa Hospital’s head physician, Dr. Sebahattin Dalga, told Toady’s Zaman that Gülen died at 7:30 a.m. on Friday. Following a funeral at Lala Paşa Mustafa Mosque in Erzurum on Sunday, Gülen will be buried in the village of Korucuk in Erzurum’s Pasinler district, where he was born.

Dr. Fesih Kara, who was Seyfullah Gülen’s consulting physician, said he had been in intensive care for a month. Expressing his condolences to the Gülen family, Kara said he was dependent on machines for his heart and lungs.

Seyfullah Gülen’s younger brother Mesih Gülen said they had spoken with Fethullah Gülen but that they did not expect him to attend his brother’s funeral. Unable to hold back tears, Mesih Gülen told Today’s Zaman that his children had been expecting him to recover.

Another brother of Fethullah Gülen, Hasbi Nida Gülen, died at the age of 66 in October 2012 at a hospital in Ankara, where he was receiving treatment for lung cancer.

The oldest of eight children, Fethullah Gülen has five brothers, the late Seyfullah (Sıbgatullah), Mesih, the late Hasbi (Nida), Salih and Kutbettin. He also has two sisters, Nurhayat and Fazilet.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 28, 2014


Related News

Lawyers, academics say ‘parallel state’ was invented to block graft probe

A total of 150 academics signed the manifesto, titled “Rule of law suspended.” The manifesto says the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government cannot ignore the corruption allegations just by making up claims of a “parallel state” — which has no meaning in political science or law — and placing the blame on the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, for its unlawful practices.

Growing Corruption Inquiry Hits Close to Turkish Leader

In building his political career, Turkey’s powerful and charismatic prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, relied heavily on the support of a Sufi mystic preacher [Fethullah Gulen] whose base of operations is now in Pennsylvania. Mr. Gulen’s followers “never approved the role the government tried to attain in the Middle East, or approved of its policy in Syria, which made everything worse, or its attitude in the Mavi Marmara crisis with Israel,” said Ali Bulac, a conservative intellectual and writer who supports Mr. Gulen.

US House Intel Chair Says ‘Hard To Believe’ Gulen Behind Turkey Coup

The United State House Intelligence Committee chairman has said it is “hard to believe” that U.S.-based Turkish cleric is behind the military coup attempt last summer, questioning Turkey as a reliable ally.

600 complaints filed alleging slander, libel against Gülen

A total of 600 complaints have been filed against those who have slandered and libeled Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17 of last year.

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

The manager of a private school linked to the exiled Turkish preacher Fethullah Gülen was released on bail by a Tbilisi court on Monday. Mustafa Emre Cabuk was arrested in May, 2017 in what appeared to be a case of pressure exerted by Turkey on Georgian authorities to crack down on institutions associated with Fethullah Gülen.

I Weep For Turkey

It has been the same topic of discourse everywhere. And it won’t stop anytime soon because of the atrocities that have followed, all in the name of sanitising the country and arresting masterminds of the phantom coup. The news coming out of Turkey has been really disturbing to many, and equally baffling to the world.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Reactions snowball after PM likens Hizmet members to Hashishin

Borough President Adams Celebrates Eid with Food Donation

State Islam versus civic Islam

“It was so cold, it felt like an arrow through my heart”

Fountain Magazine goes digital with 92nd edition

Call for Papers – International Gandhi Jayanti Conference 2015

Analysis: Power of Turkey’s Fethullah Gulen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News