Gülen’s lawyer says claims of luxury homes part of smear campaign


Date posted: January 27, 2014

ANKARA

The lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied claims made by some Turkish newspapers that the scholar is having luxury residences constructed for him in Turkey.

The pro-government Sabah and Takvim dailies on Jan. 23 and 24 published reports saying that Gülen gave the order for the construction of a luxury villa in Ankara for when he returns to Turkey and that the expenses for the construction are being met by Turkish businessman Akın İpek, chairman of Koza İpek Holding. On Jan. 25, the dailies reported that another luxury residence for Gülen is being built in Bursa which is, again, being paid for by a Turkish businessman. Claims emerged again on Jan. 26 that Gülen is also having a waterside mansion built for him in İstanbul.

Gülen’s lawyer, Orhan Erdemli, denied the allegations, saying the claims are fabricated and were made up as part of a smear campaign against his client. According to Erdemli, Gülen adopts a modest lifestyle and pays rent for his room in a house in Pennsylvania where he lives.

Gülen is highly respected both in Turkey and in many countries around the world for educational activities he has pioneered, along with his efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the globe. He is in self-imposed exile in the US, though there is no legal hurdle that prevents him from returning to Turkey. Shortly after he went to the US in 2000, he was charged with establishing an illegal organization in Turkey, but was eventually acquitted in 2008.

Erdemli underlined that the news reports targeting his client seem to be coordinated by the “same center,” but did not elaborate. He said some of those reports sought to present Gülen as the leader of an illegal organization. “But Turkish society did not give credit to such claims against a person whose innocence had been proven by court decisions. Efforts to discredit my client have gained a new dimension and they are now aimed at presenting Gülen as a man who loves luxury,” the lawyer complained.

However, no one can claim that they have witnessed Gülen living in luxury, Erdemli said. “My 75-year-old client has spent his whole life among the people. People know very well that Gülen preferred to live in a small wooden hut when he was a young man though he had the opportunity to enjoy a luxurious life. And nothing has changed up until now,” the lawyer noted.

According to the lawyer, Gülen has the means to lead a comfortable life thanks to royalties from his books but he opts to lead a modest life instead, in a room that only has a bed, a writing table and personal clothing. “He has not purchased any real estate and has prohibited his siblings from purchasing real estate,” Erdemli added.

According to the lawyer, Gülen has advised his followers and other Muslims to lead modest lives as well.

Last week, businessman İpek, known for his support to the Hizmet movement inspired by Gülen, denied reports in the Sabah and Takvim dailies which claimed that the businessman is constructing a luxury villa for Gülen. İpek said the mansion shown in the photos published in the dailies has belonged to his family for over 40 years. According to the businessman, the mansion had recently been renovated as his mother will move in.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 27, 2014


Related News

Scandalous return of Feb. 28

Hizmet movement lent full support to the AK Party in connection with critical issues such as the lawsuits against Ergenekon — a clandestine organization nested within the state trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — and the e-memorandum of April 27, 2007.

Pro-gov’t daily claims White House held special session on Gülen

Pro-government Turkish daily Takvim claimed in a Friday report that the White House held a special session on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is based in the US, in September 2014.

Extradite Gülen? Really?

Enter the current coup plot. Erdogan literally has blamed every obstacle, fanciful plot, and malfeasance upon the elderly cleric. He fingered him in last Friday’s attempted coup even before the smoke settled. Increasingly, it seems the Obama administration might actually take the Turkish president seriously.

AKP official: Let sacked public servants eat tree roots

The Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) Isparta branch head, Osman Zabun, has said the civil servants who have recently been dismissed from state institutions over alleged links to the Gülen movement can go and “feed on tree roots” if they don’t want to starve to death.

Man dies of heart attack while on way to help Turkish refugees in Greece

A 43-year-old Turkish man has died of heart attack while on a charity trip for Turkish asylum claimants in Greece. Hasan Degirmenci suffered a heart attack at the house of a Turkish [refugee] family in Athens and was subsequently taken to a nearby hospital where he later died.

Turkish daily Taraf accused of ‘spying’ and ‘terror acts’ for publishing state document

Daily Taraf, which published a document from a 2004 National Security Council (MGK) meeting about a state action plan against the activities of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement, has been charged with “spying” and “terrorism,” in an investigation launched by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Conference highlights Turkish schools’ contribution to world peace

The Famous Soccer Player Hiding in Plain Sight in a California Bakery

Fear Grows in Turkey as Crackdown on Gulen Followers Continues

Father of three released only after wife died following heart attack

Turkey’s Kurdish question and the Hizmet movement

Journalist Dumanlı says slanders against Hizmet reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

NY Times: 3 Turkish Ministers Resign Amid Corruption Scandal

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News