Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah


Date posted: December 19, 2013

Veteran Turkish journalist Nazlı Ilıcak was fired on Wednesday from her long-time post at the Sabah daily over a “disagreement on issues,” according to the pro-government newspaper.

Ilıcak, who has been critical of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government for quite some time, took an equally critical stance regarding a recent investigation into alleged bribery linked to public tenders.

She said on her Twitter account on Wednesday that she had lost her job instead of her integrity. “I thank God that I did not follow the wrong path,” she added.

The veteran journalist said the Turkish prime minister should have adopted an assertive stance with regard to the graft probe, which has cast doubts over the government’s legitimacy. She held that the ministers whose sons are suspected of being involved with the graft should have resigned.

During the prep school row between the government and the Hizmet movement, Ilıcak argued that Erdoğan had fallen into a trap and had been misled by his advisors, leading to the formation of a plan to close the prep schools and prejudices and suspicions about the Hizmet movement.

Sabah said it had parted ways with Ilıcak due to a disagreement over a number of issues, but declined to elaborate further on a possible link between Ilıcak’s dismissal and her stance regarding accusations of government involvement in the corruption case.

In a recent interview on Bugün TV, Ilıcak said it would go against her conscience to say that there is no political pressure on the media. “I am convinced that pressure has been used as a method against political criticism. This is how the climate feels,” she said.

This came against a backdrop of a series of firings of journalists over the past year due to government pressure on media.

On March 18, experienced journalist Hasan Cemal parted ways with the Milliyet daily, for which he had been working since 1998, following a controversy over the paper’s publishing of secret minutes of a meeting between the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) leader and Kurdish deputies earlier in March.

Cemal decided to quit his job at the daily when an article he sent to the daily to be published in the same week was rejected by editor-in-chief.

Additionally, the Milliyet daily, which had fired a number of columnists who were critical of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), has suspended the column of Derya Sazak, an opinion writer for the paper who was also its editor-in-chief until a recent crisis.

Sazak’s last column was published in Milliyet on July 29, 2013. He was told after returning from vacation on which he had been since that date that his column would no longer be needed, according to a report by Internet magazine T24.

Veteran Turkish journalist Yavuz Baydar was also fired from Sabah on July 23, after its editorial board censored two of his columns related to the Gezi Park protests and media-government relations.

Ilıcak’s case constitutes the latest incidents in a series of firings of journalists in the Turkish media which have brought press and government relations into the spotlight and cast further doubts on the democratic credentials of the EU candidate.

Ilıcak said the daily called her earlier in the morning to inform her on the parting of ways. Ilıcak said she didn’t expect the daily’s decision, which came at a critical moment. She rejects that her columns were mainly anti-government, adding that firings in the Turkish media have become a regular occurrence.

Ilıcak, who also faced tremendous pressure from the military during the Feb. 28 coup period after her revelations of the some generals’ involvement in editorial decisions of some Turkish media outlets in producing manipulative news targeting critical journalists, said she experienced harder days following the coup, which forced a democratically elected civilian government to resign.

Baransu’s website blocked

Meanwhile, access to a news portal that was recently built by journalist Mehmet Baransu was temporarily blocked after he uploaded documents on the corruption probe and accusations against the ministers involved.

On Thursday, Emre Uslu, a columnist for Taraf, posted a photo of the blocked website, announcing that Baransu’s domain, yenidonem.com, was blocked although there were no legal problems with it.

Baransu has been harshly criticized by members of the government and has been called a traitor for publishing secret National Security Council (MGK) documents a few weeks back.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 19, 2013


Related News

Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution. This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools. Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

Japanese students assist Syrian refugees in Turkey

A group of Japanese university students and professors recently came to Turkey to provide educational assistance to Syrian refugees, according to Turkish news sources on Tuesday. The volunteer group, which came to Turkey through the agency of charity Kimse Yok Mu, consisted of 15 students and professors from Meiji Gakuin University.

Gulen calls for new constitution in Turkey

Fethullah Gulen, the Islamic preacher embroiled in a battle with the Turkish government that has shaken the country, has redoubled his criticism of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, calling for a new constitution to rein in rights he says are under siege.

Freedom House says security package undermines democracy in Turkey

US-based watchdog Freedom House has criticized Turkey’s controversial security package, which grants extensive powers to police officersand provincial governors, saying that the passing of the bill in Parliament is a move to undermine democracy in Turkey.

The Public Trial of Fethullah Gulen

The Pennsylvania-based cleric is a leading reformer of moderate Islam — either that, or the head of a dangerous terrorist organization. DAVID KENNER The dueling descriptions of Fethullah Gulen often seem to describe two completely different men. To his supporters, the Pennsylvania-based imam is a progressive, tolerant Islamic thinker, who presides over a grassroots organization […]

Case of Calgary imam accused of plotting failed coup in Turkey will remain in limbo

Davud Hanci’s court appearance has been delayed. He was expected to appear today before a judge by video conference on allegations he helped orchestrate Turkey’s failed coup attempt last summer.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

21 NGO’s Address President to Grant Refugee Status to Mustafa Emre Çabuk in Georgia

Love is A Verb – forthcoming documentary on the Gülen Movement

Education Association Defends Zaman University

Calls to boycott Hizmet institutions denting market confidence

Ministry dismisses honorary consuls, allegedly for ‘Hizmet’ affiliation

Kimse Yok Mu launches a bakery for Sudanese orphans

Turkish American Society Builds Bridges

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News