Turkey investigating 4,167 Gülen followers in 110 countries


Date posted: April 24, 2018

At least 4,167 people in 110 countries are being investigated in Turkey over their links to the Gülen movement, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Thursday.

An arrest request issued by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office for three Turkish nationals, forcibly returned from Gabon to Turkey earlier this month, has revealed that Turkish prosecutors are investigating 4,167 people in 110 countries over their links to the movement.

The three men were detained after being brought to Turkey in a joint operation by the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) and local Gabonese law enforcement.

The Istanbul prosecutor demanded that the court overseeing the trio’s case arrest them, saying that 4,167 people including the three have been under investigation for some time.

Eighty people affiliated the Gülen movement have been captured and brought to Turkey from 18 countries, Turkish government spokesman Bekir Bozdağ said on April 5.

The Turkish government accuses the group of masterminding a July 15, 2016 coup attempt, although the movement denies any involvement. More than 120,000 people have been detained and some 55,000 put in pretrial detention, while over 145,000 have lost their jobs amid the government’s post-coup crackdown on people deemed to have ties to the group.

A number of countries including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Georgia and Myanmar have handed over academics, businessmen and school principals upon the Turkish government’s request despite the fact that some of those victims already had refugee status with the United Nations.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s lawyer Hüseyin Aydın said earlier this month that Turkish intelligence officers could be involved in more abductions around the world “in the coming days.”

A total of 14,640 Turkish nationals claimed asylum in European Union countries in 2017, according to Eurostat data. The corresponding number was 10,105 in 2016 and only 4,180 in 2015.

“With reports of Turkish intelligence activities in multiple countries, including other kidnapping plots, governments should become much more willing to offer Turkish citizens asylum and must look very skeptically upon Turkish government requests for arrest and extradition,” Freedom House’s Nate Schenkkan wrote in The Washington Post on April 1.

Meanwhile, US-based monitoring group Human Rights Watch (HRW) said the arrest of Turkish nationals in Kosovo showed a callous disregard for human rights and rule of law.

The statements by HRW and Freedom House came on the heels of an MIT operation that captured six Turkish nationals, one doctor and five educators, working for a group of schools affiliated with the movement in Kosovo.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , April 20, 2018


Related News

Ayan: Halkbank operated like Iran’s Central Bank

“The extent of this operation is far beyond the reach of the cemaat [the Hizmet movement],” [“The extent of this operation is far beyond the reach of the cemaat [the Hizmet movement],” Famous Turkish investor Nasrullah Ayan said. He thinks, rather, that powerful international groups could have pulled the trigger or provided technical support to the probe. He pointed to the fact that the operation was launched after the agreement between Iran and the P5+1 nations in Geneva — which gave Iran partial relief from a harsh regime of

Turkish PM’s wife praises devotion of Prague school’s teachers

TAYFUN GIRGIN, PRAGUE Emine Erdoğan, the wife of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has praised the teachers of a school opened in the Czech capital of Prague by Turkish entrepreneurs. Erdoğan accompanied her husband during his official visit to the Czech Republic, where she paid a visit to the Meridian International School with the spouses […]

Turkish headmaster accused of Isis links met Malaysian PM, not fit profile of an Isis operative

Karaman, who was the principle of a prestigious international school that promotes critical thinking as well as holding his post with the Malaysian-Turkish Dialogue Society, does not fit the stereotypical profile of an Isis operative.

Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara

Around 700 police officers, including four deputy chiefs and 70 high-ranking officials, were removed from their posts at the İzmir Police Department and reassigned to different positions on Thursday morning and removals continued later in the afternoon with 207 more officers

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s stance on Turkish Schools turns to hatred after corruption probes

Reflection on the Asia-Pacific Trip with the Hizmet Movement

Fethullah Gulen and the Concept of Ikhlas: Fr. Thomas Michel

Turkish businessmen’s helping hands reach out to Romanian flood victims

Festival atmosphere in Kimse Yok Mu town

Philippine House speaker receives Turkish school delegation

Portrait of an Anatolian Muslim with no schooling*

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News