Ultranationalist Columnist Says Turkey Must Get Rid Of Gülen Followers, Hints At Mass Burning


Date posted: September 14, 2017

Sabahattin Önkibar, a columnist for the Aydınlık daily, which is affiliated with the ultranationalist Homeland Party (VP) of Doğu Perinçek, said on Sunday that Turkey must immediately get rid of sympathizers of the faith-based Gülen movement and hinted at their mass burning, giving an example from history.

Speaking during a live broadcast on Ulusal Kanal on Sunday, Önkibar said the Gülen movement exists in all segments of Turkish society and accused its followers of infiltrating state institutions. He also claimed that 90 percent of the Gülen movement’s political wing is linked with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).

While speaking on how to fight the Gülen movement, Önkibar gave what he claimed was an example from history, saying Mehmet II, the Conqueror, dug a huge hole near Edirne and set thousands of people linked to the Hurufi sect on fire in the hole after realizing that they had been infiltrating state institutions including his own palace.

“After being kicked out of Iran, the Hurufi came to Anatolia and later Edirne. They also came to İstanbul after its conquest. Similar to FETÖ, they infiltrated the army, the state, even the palace. Fatih Sultan Mehmet saw this and a huge hole was dug near Edirne and a huge fire was set in it. Thousands of Hurufis was thrown into that fire. Not tens or hundreds, thousands of them were without doubt burned alive. Fatih Sultan Mehmet did it that way. Now, you will say: Shall we burn Fethullahists in a similar way? I can’t say that, but we must do some to get rid of them somehow,” he said.

FETÖ is a derogatory term and acronym for the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization, coined by Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AKP government to refer to the Gülen movement, accused by the Turkish government of masterminding the failed coup attempt. The movement strongly denies any involvement in the putsch.

Turkey survived a controversial military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people. Immediately after the putsch, the AKP government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

Over 146,000 people, including many in the armed forces, police and judiciary as well as the education and business sectors, were fired from state jobs. Nearly 125,000 were detained and more than 58,000 arrested over alleged links to the failed coup.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , September 11, 2017


Related News

Group of activists walking across Europe raises 40,000 euros for Turkish refugees in Greece

A group of activists from the UK raised 40,000 euros for needy Turkish nationals who have landed in Greece as refugees in the face of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s post-coup witch-hunt.

Canada’s Green Party leader on human rights violations in Turkey: I am entirely horrified

Canada’s Green Party leader and lawmaker Elizabeth May said during a panel discussion held at the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa on widespread human rights violations in Turkey that “I am entirely horrified by the behaviour of the Turkish government. We need to be more speaking out loud.”

Turkey’s Gulen Demand – The U.S. shouldn’t extradite the exiled Turk without better evidence

Turkey is demanding that the U.S. extradite Fethullah Gulen whom Ankara accuses of orchestrating this month’s failed military coup. “The evidence is crystal clear,” PM Yildirim told the Journal Tuesday, adding that Washington’s request for evidence of Mr. Gulen’s guilt is superfluous “when 265 people have been killed.” If that’s Mr. Yildirim’s standard of proof, Washington should deny the request.

Van NGOs: Calling Hizmet movement ‘virus’ and ‘hashhashin’ unnaceptable

Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) active in the eastern province of Van said in a press conference that the tension experienced in Turkey recently has ruined the country and that any remarks or behavior against the Hizmet movement will not be tolerated.

Austrian politician documents Turkish surveillance abroad [on Gulen movement]

Turkish diplomatic offices around the world are gathering information in a bid to undermine organizations loyal to a Muslim cleric. Turkey is pressing nations to crack down on the Gulen movement’s network of schools and charities outside of the country.

MP close to Gülen quits ruling AKP, slams accusations against Islamic scholar

İşbilen became the seventh member to resign from the AKP since the massive graft scandal went public on Dec. 17 and the ninth since the test prep school row that created the rift between Gülen’s Hizmet (Service) movement and the government. The lawmaker, who is known for his closeness to the movement, said he has known Gülen for more than 50 years and has never heard such harsh words being directed against him.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Pro-gov’t journalist suggests killing family members of jailed Gülen followers

Smear campaign against Gülen today harsher than in Feb. 28 era

PII Awards Law Enforcement in New Jersey

Alevis and Sunnis to Search for Peace and a Future Together at Abant Meeting

Alliance for Shared Values Deplores Paris Shootings

Overwhelming public response in support of Bank Asya

Terrorists not true Muslims, says scholar

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News