Pakistan – Turkish teachers, students not to be deported, court told

Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)
Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)


Date posted: March 31, 2017

The federal government Wednesday told the Lahore High Court that Turkish national teachers and students of PakTurk International Schools would not be deported.

During hearing of a petition by Mehmet Ali Seker and others associated with the PakTurk Educational Foundation, Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf stated that the Turkish national teachers/students had filed applications to the United Nations to declare them refugees. He said the government had no plan to deport the Turkish teachers and students before any decision by the UN. In light of the attorney general’s statement, Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi disposed of the petition.

The petitioners had submitted that they had been lawfully residing in Pakistan against “NGO” category visas abiding by the laws of the country having clean and unblemished record. They said the interior ministry declined to extend visas of the petitioners without disclosing any reason.

They said the ministry ordered deportation of the petitioners and other Turkish national employees of the foundation. Some of the petitioners and their families possessing valid visas till first month of 2017 were also ordered to be deported, they added. The petitioners said the ministry was planning a smooth takeover of the foundation in favour of a different organisation owing to domestic politics in Turkey.

They said the government also cancelled registration of the foundation by promulgating a new Companies Ordinance of 2016. They argued that the acts of the government amounted to indirectly winding up the foundation without any legal course and consent of its directors. They pleaded that the petitioners and their families could not be deported until they were not afforded an ample opportunity of hearing.

Model Town case: A full bench of the Lahore High Court Wednesday directed the registrar office to consolidate petitions of Inspector General Police, Punjab and Idara Minhajul Quran pertaining to Model Town killings’ case.

The bench headed by Justice Muhammad Yawar Ali issued notices to the parties and adjourned hearing until April 27. During the hearing, the bench dismissed the petition of former Lahore DCO Usman observing that the petition was not maintainable after appearing before the court. Inspector General Police, Punjab Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera had challenged the orders of an anti-terrorism court in which he and other officials had been summoned for trial in Model Town killings’ case in 2014. On Saturday, Idara Minhajul Quran filed a writ petition challenging the decision of the trial court to the extent of not summoning Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah and others. The petitioner had requested the court that the order of the trial court to the extent of not summoning 12 respondents including the PM be set aside and the court be ordered to summon them. It may be mentioned here that it is first time since the Model Town incident in 2014 that a full bench has been constituted to take up these petitions against the orders of the ATC.

Notices: The Lahore High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the federal government and Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on a writ petition seeking cancellation of 325 political parties’ registration. Advocate Safdar Gill contended in his petition that all the political parties were bound to submit details of their assets and tax with the ECP under Political Parties Act of 1962. He said only eight out of a total 333 major and small political parties filed their income tax returns. The petitioner said that no political party declared income resources and assets for year 2016.  The petitioner said the ECP remained oblivious to the issue and took no action against the parties. He prayed to the court to order the ECP to cancel the registration of 325 political parties for violating Section 13 of the Political Parties Act. The chief justice issued notices to the respondents for May 2.

Source: The International News , March 30, 2017


Related News

Police chiefs removed in four provinces across Turkey

The purges are thought to be an attempt to remove those the government believes are members of the Hizmet movement from public sector jobs.

Dismissed top editor of Zaman: We made a mistake by not objecting to the imprisonment of journalists

Journalist Abdulhamit Bilici, who was dismissed as editor-in-chief of Zaman said the Zaman daily should have kept its distance from the ruling AKP. He also said his media group made a mistake by not objecting to the imprisonment of journalists in the late 2000s.

What’s not to love in this coup?

Up until yesterday, those who were dying to get a good seat in the “Turkish Olympiads”, now shamelessly intimidate the Turkish Olympiads organizers by saying “you think you have grown into a man by making two African and three Asian kids recite a Turkish a song.”

Gülen-linked woman dies in Greece as she waits to join husband in Germany

Esma Uludağ, a 35-year-old Turkish woman who fled to Greece due to an ongoing government-led crackdown on the followers of the Gülen movement, died of a heart attack on Saturday night as she was waiting to join her husband in Germany.

Belgium firm to sue Turkey over Gülen-linked assets

A Belgian company, Cascade Investments NV, has launched an $80 million arbitration claim against Turkey in the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ISCID).

Austrian Far-Right Leader Likens Turkish Coup to Reichstag Fire

“One almost had the impression that it was a guided putsch aimed in the end at making a presidential dictatorship by Erdogan possible,” Strache told the daily Die Presse in an interview published on Saturday.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Istanbul court blocks access to Gülen’s website

Mass firings in Turkey: ‘We have been given a social death sentence’

Turkey dismisses another 330 academics, brings total to 7,316

Turkish Repression Targets Americans

Erdogan’s vendetta against moderate Muslims threatens Turkey’s role in War on Terror

Kimse yok mu reaffirms commitment to assist Somalia

Is the Gulen Movement an alternative to the state?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News