Pro-Erdoğan journalist: Gülen followers should be kept in detention camps, given food tickets


Date posted: December 28, 2016

Cemil Barlas, a staunch supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and commentator for the pro-government A Haber TV, said during a program on Monday that followers of the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind a failed coup on July 15, must be kept in detention camps and should be given food tickets since the government has seized most of their assets.

Claiming that the government had sacked more than 150.000 people linked to the Gülen movement from state jobs, Barlas said the government must find a solution to the problem of how those people will live since their assets were also seized and no one will employ them because of their links to the movement.

“Almost 150,000 of them have been thrown [out of state jobs]. Now they don’t have any money. There should be a solution to this. For example, they could be given food tickets or locked up in a place [like a detention camp]. In total there will be around 500,000 of them, without a house, without money, and nobody wants to be seen with them. Their lives have been zeroed out,” he said.

Comparing Gülen followers with homeless Syrian refugees living in the streets of İstanbul, Barlas said most of those Syrians have now found work; however, no one will give jobs to Gülen followers.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Despite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspired the movement, and the movement having denied the accusation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

About 115,000 people have been purged from state bodies, in excess of 82,000 detained and over 41,000 have been arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 27, 2016


Related News

Taraf, Baransu file criminal complaint against PM Erdoğan

The Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu have filed a criminal complaint against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan over charges of involvement in an “attempt to influence a fair trial,” slander and insult. The daily and Baransu also filed a TL 50,000 compensation case against PM Erdoğan for non-pecuniary damages.

‘Pool media’ court case against Zaman daily tossed out

An İstanbul court tossed out a court case filed against the Zaman daily by the Turkuvaz Media Group involving a Zaman news article detailing pro-government businessman pooling funds together to purchase Turkuvaz late last week.

Another woman detained on coup charges one day after giving birth

Fatma Türkmen, who gave birth to a baby in Ankara on Monday, was reportedly detained on Tuesday over alleged links to the Gülen group.

Fear and paranoia still stalk Turkey two months after the failed coup

The official government narrative is everywhere, from the Twitter accounts to the dominance of the state-affiliated and pro-government press and TV in the wake of media crackdowns. The same words and phrases have been repeated endlessly by the AKP and their supporters until they become almost meaningless – Get Gülen. Gülen. Gülen. We are democracy. Democracy. Democracy. That is how it is, and there is no room to consider anything else.

Turkey just snatched six of its citizens from another country

The Pristina abductions are merely the latest episode of Turkey’s global purge, the government’s campaign to pursue its opponents all over the world, which began in 2014 but has accelerated dramatically since the coup attempt of July 2016. In this time, Turkey has repeatedly resorted to extralegal means to target its perceived opponents abroad.

KADİP’s 1st international photography contest held for peace

The Intercultural Dialogue Platform (KADİP) of the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) announced the winners of its very first international photography contest, “Peace in the frame,” at a gala on Tuesday night at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in İstanbul.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Renewing Islam by Service: A Christian View of Fethullah Gulen and the Hizmet Movement

Time for win-win in trade for Turkey, Portugal

Lord Mitchell pays a visit to Turkish School

U.S. Not Persuaded to Extradite Fethullah Gulen Over Turkey Coup

Most Turkish asylum seekers in Netherlands Gülen followers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News