Nigerian students lament harassment, detention by Turkish authorities


Date posted: October 7, 2016

Akin Oyewobi and Aminu Adamu

Some Nigerians studying in Turkey have pleaded with the Nigerian government to intervene and halt the continued arrest and detention of their colleagues in the wake of the July failed coup in that country.

They also lamented the deportation of some of their colleagues by Turkish authorities.

No fewer than 50 Nigerians attending private schools in Turkey, including Fatih University, were recently deported by that country after the coup attempt.

Nigeria had ignored calls by the Turkish government to close down 17 Turkish schools in the country. The Turkish government alleged that the schools were linked to Fethullah Gülen, a man the Recep Erdogan-led government blamed for the failed coup.

Thousands of people working for organisations linked to Mr. Gulen have been arrested in a clampdown condemned by local and international rights groups as excessive.

One of the Nigerian students in Turkey, who does not want to be named for fear of being attacked, said in a Facebook post on behalf of his colleagues on Wednesday that the arrest and detention of Nigerian students in Turkey had continued unabated three months after the coup failed.

He said no fewer than 50 of the students had been arrested so far and detained under harsh conditions and that they were being denied access to their colleagues.

He said some of the students who were not deported or arrested were missing.

The student pleaded with PREMIUM TIMES to draw the attention of the Nigerian government to intervene immediately and save the students from further harassment.

“African students especially those from Nigeria are being hunted for. We are waiting for the arrest to get to our turn. Please pass this on to Nigerian government. Let them come to our aid before they charge us for treason,” he said in the post.

The student said the Nigerian detainees were being poorly treated.

“One of the detainees sneaked out to call me yesterday and said they are being treated badly,” he said.

“And the government is linking the student of the closed schools to FETO (an acronym Turkish government uses for organisations linked to Mr, Gulen).

“They told them that they are threat to the security of the country and they don’t trust them because they can be spies to the FETO group,” he said.

He further disclosed that two of the students who were trying to leave Istanbul for Nigeria to evade arrest were subsequently apprehended and detained at the airport for over an hour for questioning.

He said other nationalities were allowed without any interrogations.

The student also said he was not allowed to enter the airport after he was identified as a Nigerian though he did not have his international passport.

“I went to the airport but I wasn’t allowed to enter because I had no passport with me and was identified to be a Nigeria,” he said.

He however praised the Embassy of Nigeria in Turkey for responding to the predicament of the Nigerian students but lamented that the Turkish government was not cooperating with it.

According to him, the Turkish authorities refused to disclose any information to the embassy officials.

The source also said Nigerian students were transferred indiscriminately from the universities that were shut to other public schools after the failed coup.

Turkey closed scores of universities and schools linked to Mr. Gulen after the coup-

The Nigerian student stated that many of the students were also deported on arrival and that the Turkish authorities cancelled their resident permit due to closure of their universities.

“We the students from the closed universities were transferred to different public schools,” he said.

“And those students were treated like criminals and made to pay huge fine for entering Turkey.”

“The detainees confirmed to us that they are being handcuffed and they buy their food themselves. They are kept in dirty rooms. Right now we don’t even know where they are. They were asked to pay for their own lawyers,” the source said.

Efforts by PREMIUM TIMES to speak with Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on the matter were not successful.

The minister did not respond to calls to his mobile telephone neither did he reply to a text message sent to him.

However, the Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said government had already initiated moves to halt the harassment of Nigerians in Turkey.

“The ministry of foreign affairs through the permanent secretary summoned the Turkish ambassador immediately the information was received,” Mrs. Dabiri-Erewa told PREMIUM TIMES.

“While both countries are working at resolving the issue through every possible diplomatic channels, the ministry of foreign affairs made it clear that such act against Nigerians will not be accepted.”

Source: Premium Times , October 6, 2016


Related News

Victims of Turkey’s purge exploited also by lawyers with exorbitantly high fees

Victims of Turkey’s post-coup purge have been taking another toll from lawyers who ask outrageously high prices either to keep themselves out of trouble or to exploit from the lost causes. In Turkey, the presumption of innocence has been dramatically reversed and now everybody is assumed guilty until they prove their innocence.

AKP turns medical university into its headquarters

Şifa University, which was seized by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government due to links to the Gülen movement, has been transformed into the AKP’s İzmir provincial headquarters.

Albanian president to Erdoğan: Turkish schools pose no threat

In the latest round of a debate surrounding the Turkish schools in Albania, President Bujar Nishani dismissed Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s request to shut schools down because of their links to the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement.

Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation To Contribute Radicalism, Exacerbate Muslim-Christian Tension In African Countries

Turkey’s President Erdoğan has aimed at replacing the positive contributions of the schools opened by the Gülen movement in Africa to preventing clashes in countries, where there is Christian-Muslim tension, with radical Islamist rhetoric and thus will create conflict rather than dialogue in African countries, stated a report recently released.

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

İsmail Eyüpoğlu (42), who has been living abroad for 25 years, lost his wife early in the morning on Saturday, February 3. He was straddled between the idea of going back to Turkey with his children and bid farewell to his wife for 18 years in her last journey and on the other hand, the fear of being arrested at the airport and sadden his two children.

Afghan education minister recommends Turkish schools in each province

Congratulating the Turkish teachers working at the schools in Afghanistan, Minister Wardak said that they were “highly respected.” He went on to praise the teachers who “leave behind their families and their cherished hometowns, leaving wonderful cities like İstanbul and Ankara and all that is near and dear to them to serve the Afghan nation and Afghan children.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey ‘looking for scapegoats’ by linking schools in Nigeria to failed coup

Government allegedly plots to blame Bingöl attacks on Hizmet movement

Family, friends losing hope as Calgary imam arrested in Turkey remains imprisoned

Systematic Efforts by the Erdoğan Regime to Portray Hizmet as a Violent Organisation

Hizmet movement and military coups

NTIC’s growing support help 13000 underprivileged children

A Permanent Kimse Yok Mu Mission to Be Launched in Jerusalem

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News