Biden’s office refutes Turkish minister’s claim that US has proof Gülenists plotted coup

US Vice President Joe Biden watches as US President Barack Obama speaks during an event for the Council on Women and Girls in the East Room of the White House on January 22, 2014 in Washington, DC. AFP PHOTO/Mandel NGANMANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images
US Vice President Joe Biden watches as US President Barack Obama speaks during an event for the Council on Women and Girls in the East Room of the White House on January 22, 2014 in Washington, DC. AFP PHOTO/Mandel NGANMANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images


Date posted: September 26, 2016

US Vice President Joe Biden’s office refuted a claim made by Bekir Bozdağ, justice minister of Turkey, who said on Thursday night that Biden had confirmed that substantive information on the involvement of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen had been received by the US as part of an extradition request submitted by Ankara this month.

Washington-based Turkish journalist İlhan Tanır wrote in his blog on Friday that he inquired about Bozdağ’s claims through his sources in the White House and that Biden’s assistant denied that he had made such a statement to Bozdağ.

“On background, the vice president said that our legal experts are still reviewing on the extradition request and did not indicate there was concrete evidence,” Biden’s assistant told Tanır via email.

Quoting Bozdağ, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Thursday that Biden admitted that Ankara had provided “concrete evidence” about Gülen being the mastermind of a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15. Bozdağ made his remarks as he answered reporters’ questions while accompanying President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on a visit to New York for the UN General Assembly.

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and Erdoğan put the blame on Gülen for masterminding the coup, repeatedly denied by Gülen in several interviews with international media. Despite the fact that Gülen’s extradition has been kept a hot topic in Turkish domestic politics by Erdoğan, the Washington administration has said on several occasions that it would extradite Gülen only if Turkey provides evidence, much to the frustration of Turkey’s AKP government.

US officials, including Vice President Biden, have several times said that it is the US courts that will decide on Gülen’s extradition if a case is filed against him with concrete evidence that shows his involvement in a crime.

In August State Department Deputy Spokesperson Mark Toner said during a press briefing that Turkey had formally requested the extradition of Gülen, but not on issues related to the recent coup attempt.

“We are now considering the merits of the request,” Toner said.

The AKP government and President Erdoğan have designated the Gülen movement a terrorist organization and have launched a widespread crackdown on suspected members since the failed coup.

Thousands of institutions, including charities, schools and business associations, have been shut down, over 100,000 state employees have been sacked, more than 40,000 people have been detained and nearly 27,000 arrested over links with the movement since July 15.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 23, 2016


Related News

Gülen’s curse was misquoted, misinterpreted, GYV chief says

Mustafa Yeşil, chairman of the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s (GYV) executive board, in response to criticisms targeting prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said the curse uttered by Gülen did not have a direct reference and was poorly comprehended and highly manipulated by some who repeated it.

America Shouldn’t Give up Fethullah Gülen to Turkey

Erdoğan played the failed coup rather like Adolf Hitler used the Reichstag fire: as a fortuitous opportunity to crush critics as well as enemies. Indeed, there were suggestions that the Erdoğan government was aware of the plot but chose to allow plotters to proceed in hopes of reaping political gain.

Fethullah Gülen condemns the terrorist attack in Gaziantep, Turkey

I condemn, in the strongest terms, the barbaric terrorist attack on attendees of a wedding ceremony in Gaziantep, Turkey that took the lives of more than fifty citizens, including children, and wounded many others. This is not just an attack on the attendees of a wedding, but also an attack on the solidarity of people of Anatolia, including Turks, Kurds, Arabs, Boshniaks, Albanians, Georgians and Circassians and others who lived as neighbors for centuries.

Turkish charities dedicate well in Uganda to James Foley

The charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) and the Embrace Relief aid foundation, founded by Turks residing in the US, have jointly constructed a water well in Uganda dedicated to the memory of James Foley, an American journalist killed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

Secular Pakistanis resist Turkey’s ‘authoritarian’ demands

Turkey has asked Pakistan to crack down on institutions run by US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, who Ankara believes was behind the failed coup against President Erdogan. But many Pakistanis do not want to follow along.

PII Awards Law Enforcement in New Jersey

Peace Islands Institute director Ercan Tozan welcomed his guests and thanked everyone for their continued service to the community.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen condemns the coup attempt in Turkey

Kimse Yok Mu extends a helping hand to thousands of Guineans

Explained the secret: Gulen gave it as a gift

Government files complaint against daily for exposing plot against Gülen

Pro-gov’t columnist: Turkish state must assassinate Fethullah Gülen

Kimse Yok Mu holds iftar dinner for Thai Muslims

PM defends Zarrab, suspected of leading bribery ring

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News