Pak-Turk schools case: IHC grants more time to seek govt’s instructions

A picture from annual middle section football tournament in PakTurk Main Campus, Lahore on 2nd May 2015.
A picture from annual middle section football tournament in PakTurk Main Campus, Lahore on 2nd May 2015.


Date posted: August 6, 2016

Rizwan Shehzad

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Wednesday granted the Deputy Attorney General (DAG) three weeks to seek instructions from the ministry of interior and the ministry of foreign affairs after the Pak-Turk Education Foundation moved the IHC against the possible closure of its school network by the government.

Justice Aamer Farooq allowed the DAG’s request to grant more time for seeking instructions from the ministries. Meanwhile, when the petitioner counsel Hafiz Arfaat raised concerns that the government would close the Pak-Turk Education Foundation, the court directed him to approach the court if such a decision was taken.

During the hearing, the DAG said that government has not yet taken any decision on the issue and most of the information was based on rumours perpetuated by some segments of the media.

In the petition, another counsel for the petitioner, Hafiz SA Rehman, has prayed the court to allow them to keep operating without interference. While citing the apprehensions that Pakistani government would either close the schools or transfer their assets to some other entity, the counsel has also prayed that the schools network should not be taken over by a third party.

The status of the schools plunged into uncertainty after Turkey’s ambassador called on the Pakistan government to close down all the institutions, claiming that they are backed by the Fethullah Gulen-inspired Hizmet movement.

On Tuesday, during an official visit to Islamabad, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stressed the chain of ‘Gulen-run’ schools in Pakistan should be shut down.

Ankara claims that Gulen, who is living in self-imposed exile in the United States, was the alleged mastermind of the failed military coup in Turkey a few weeks back. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed the cleric — a former Erdogan ally — and followers for the rebellion and demanded his extradition. Gulen has denied any involvement.

In his arguments, Rehman said that the foundation is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan and has a valid license to operate. He said that over 11,000 students and 1,500 teachers will be directly affected if the 23 Pak-Turk schools are closed.

He said that the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges in Pakistan have no affiliation or connection with any political individual, movement or organization, and have no financial relationship with any movement.

Rehman added that the foundation is being run by eight-member board of governors, including four Pakistani and four Turkish officials.

The court later adjourned for three weeks.

Source: The Express Tribune , August 6, 2016


Related News

Incredible achievement by Turkish school in Papua New Guinea

Having won Papua New Guinea its first international medal in its history, the Turkish school in the country achieved yet another success by ranking number one in the national university entrance exams.

Extradition of Turkish Citizens: Moldova to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations

Almost one year has passed since seven Turkish citizens working at a high school were extradited from the Republic of Moldova. Since then, their case was brought before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and Moldova was forced to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations.

KCK, Gülen, AKP: shifting alliances?

MUSTAFA GÜRBÜZ Regarding the heated prep school debate, Justice and Development Party (AKP) Ardahan Deputy Orhan Atalay explicitly spelled out the AKP- Gülen tension: “Just as the KCK [the Kurdistan Communities Union, an umbrella organization that contains the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK)] is a parallel structure within the state; prep schools have become the same […]

Totalitarian interference in individual sphere

The Prime Minister Erdoğanis talking about closing the prep schools in which students enroll to get additional education and be more successful on university entrance examinations.His whole argument to close these institutions is just a blur of some basic facts. Everyone knows that Erdoğan is taking these steps for a single purpose: He wants to punish the Gülen movement.

IFLC Sydney 2016

International Festival of Language and Culture will be on April 17, 2016 at Sydney Opera House www.intflc.org.au

Science, Culture and Art activity held at Fatih College

Near the end of 2013-2014 academic year, Fatih College held a large scale activity with the participation of 25,000 students from 106 colleges.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Strange alignment of PKK and government against Hizmet

‘Escape from Turkey’ recounts stories of post-coup crackdown victims fleeing Turkey

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s way worries and puzzles

Kimse Yok Mu working to resolve water problem in Africa

Turks threatened over alleged links to the Gülen movement find a safe haven in Greece

AK Party gov’t treats critical letters, columns as ‘treachery’

‘Parallel’ lies won’t patch giant tear, Gülen tells government

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News