The world needs more song and dance than war – Mbete


Date posted: April 27, 2016

SPEAKER of the South African National Assembly Baleka Mbete says the worldneeds more song and dance than war. Speaking during the 13th edition of the International Festival of Language and Culture at Nelson Mandela Theatre on Thursday evening, Mbete, who was guest of honour, said rather than seeing people fight, she would love to see them sing and dance. She said she was delighted to be part of the event.

“I feel like a fish in water being among people who love culture and language, I wish Parliament was like this. This is truly a multinational and cultural moment,” Mbete said.

She said culture had helped people understand the world.

“For me culture, which includes language diversification, is not just about the economic value of our creative industry, it is what defines us,” Mbete added.

She said there was need for governments to invest more in cultural events.

Mbete also said politicians needed to take some time out and “wash the dust of politics from their souls during festivals”.

“If we put more resources in song and dance, the world will be a better place,” she said.

Mbete said the world was witnessing growing tension among cultures and faith.

“Because people came from other cultures and countries does not make them less human. We should have more festivals, it’s good for human soul,” she said.

Mbete explained that the South African Constitution embraced the “one people, one nation bound together” motto with a common heritage which is non-racial and non-sexist.

She said her country’s Constitution also guaranteed people the right to practice their culture, belief, language and custom.

“Everyone is also guaranteed the freedom of creativity without interference as well the freedom of expression,” said Mbete.

Over 10 countries, including Zambia, participated in the festival

Source: Post Zambia , April 24,2016


Related News

Govt Brushes Of Claims Of Terrorism At Afghan-Turk Schools

Officials said students at Afghan-Turk Schools do exceptionally well at international Olympiads and this year alone they have won 170 medals.

Turkish teacher dies of cancer, buried in Australia

Sezer Morkoç (43), a chemistry teacher at a Turkish school in Australia, died of cancer on Monday and was buried in Adelaide. Morkoç graduated from the chemistry department of Middle East Technical University (ODTÜ), one of the most prestigious universities in Turkey. He and his family moved to Australia in 2001. He had been teaching at Burc College, a private school founded by Turkish entrepreneurs in Adelaide.

Int’l language and culture festival ends with spectacular ceremony in Germany

A message from well-known Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen who inspired the Hizmet Movement was also recited at the ceremony. “At a time when rage, hatred and war prevail in different places of the world, some people see path to science, love and peace as far away. However, as it is said in a Japanese proverb ‘If you have a good friend with you, no way is far to you’, said the message. Gülen also expressed his special thanks to German people for hosting the festival.

Turkish schools are being closed down

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu stated he had ordered the closure of Turkish schools in 160 countries, arguing that the officials of those schools had sent letters to the leaders of foreign countries in which they complained about the Turkish government. The closure of these schools is a serious step, but the reason for the closure is not based on real evidence.

Islamabad High Court: No plan to close Pak-Turk schools

The government is not going to shut down Pak-Turk schools nor it has received any request from the Turkish government for the transfer of its management to any third party. This was stated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in written comments submitted to the Islamabad High Court (IHC) in response to a petition filed by the management of the Pak-Turk schools.

Pak-Turk schools issue: Foundation moves court for fear of closure

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) directed the deputy attorney general to seek instructions from the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after Pak-Turk Education Foundation moved the IHC against the possible closure of the network by the government, on Wednesday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

A Rabbi’s meeting with Hocaefendi Fethullah Gülen

Volunteers Back from Medical Service in Somalia

Nigerian President opens Turkish Hospital

Court imposes punitive fine on author for libeling Gülen family

It’s clear that deportation of three Turks is to please Turkey’s president

ICG report praises reformist role Hizmet plays in [Kurdish] settlement process

Muslim Networks and Movements in Western Europe: Gülen Movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News