African students sad over govt’s move to wipe out Kimse Yok Mu


Date posted: October 7, 2014

African students who have been sponsored by Kimse Yok Mu in their studies in Turkey are worried about the recent government action. The Somali and Congolese students studying in the Kayseri province of Turkey said, “We would not be able to study at high schools and universities in Turkey without Kimse Yok Mu’s assistance. It’s been covering our school, clothing, food, shelter and medical expenses since the beginning.”

The government’s recent move to rescind the organization’s license to collect donation drew criticisms from various circles. Besides the foundation officials, several NGOs and politicians, the student recipients too reacted to the decision.

KYM brought over 350 high school students to Turkey three years ago and has been sponsoring them ever since in their studies. 12 of them, 9 Somali and 3 Congolese students currently at grade 12, have been studying at Kilicarslan High School and fear the decision will affect their education in a negative way.

“Thanks Allah Kimse Yok Mu brought us here,” said the Somali Eyup Ali Hassan. “It’s been still funding our every expense from education to food. We are also receiving monetary assistance.” Hassan noted he was introduced to Turkey through KYM and recalled the foundation built a hospital, water wells and a orphanage in his country. Regarding the government’s recent decision to rescind the foundation’s license to collect donation, he said, “As far as I’m concerned, the government is against KYM. But if it wasn’t for KYM, we would have been able to come here and study at high schools and universities. I would like to go back to my country and serve for our people’s benefit after graduation.”

Another student, Muhammed Kasım Addow, said he will tell about the good moments he experienced in Turkey when he returns his country. “Many thanks to Kimse Yok Mu contributing to our education.”

The Congolese Zekeriya Ndombo said he intends to be a teacher. “If it wasn’t for KYM, I wouldn’t have been able to come here to study at this school. My parents wouldn’t have been able to afford my education either. KYM brought me here with the money from its donors. They’ve been doing anything for us.”

The school’s vice-principal Cumhur Cetin, who is like a second father to the foreign students, stressed the donations need to continue for the education of these students. “If these donations stop, I think, it will not be good for the future of both these students and their countries. This organization should its existence for the sake of all the aid efforts around the globe.”

Published [in Turkish] on Bugun, 1 October 2014, Wednesday

Source: HizmetMovement.Com , October 7, 2014


Related News

African students sad over govt’s move to wipe out Kimse Yok Mu

African students who have been sponsored by Kimse Yok Mu in their studies in Turkey are worried about the recent government action. The Somali and Congolese students studying in the Kayseri province of Turkey said, “We would not be able to study at high schools and universities in Turkey without Kimse Yok Mu’s assistance. It’s been covering our school, clothing, food, shelter and medical expenses since the beginning.”

A Ramadan Birthday Dinner

Dates, rice and eggplant moussaka for birthday dinner? It works. A recent birthday of mine happened to coincide with a long-planned Ramadan Interfaith Iftar Dinner co-hosted by Pacifica Institute and Calvary Presbyterian Church in San Francisco. Since I was minimally involved in the planning and execution of the event, and maximally involved in the birthday, […]

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

The humanitarian aid group Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of being an armed terrorist organization, had been directed by the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), casting doubt on such claims.

Financial Times publishes Fethullah Gulen’s Op-Ed

Financial Times published an op-ed by the Turkish Muslim scholar and writer Fethullah Gulen*. His article is titled “Violence is not in the tradition of the Prophet” Gulen says “Muslims pray each day: “O Lord! Keep us on the straight path.” It is a prayer to help us move away from the extremes and maintain […]

Gaza group: Oppression targeting Kimse Yok Mu harms needy the most

Gaza Peace Volunteers Association Chairman Dr. Nasser al-Sadi has expressed his frustration at a recent government decision to cancel the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu’s (Is Anybody There?) permission to collect donations for the rest of the year, saying that the charity’s ongoing flow of aid to many regions in Turkey and abroad, including Gaza, has now come to a halt.

Peace Islands Institute donates platefuls of generosity

The meat is donated as part of the annual Eid al-Adha/Kurban Bayrami celebration, which is the Festival of Sacrifice in the Muslim religion. Eid al-Adha commemorates the Prophet Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son at God’s command, and marks the end of Muslims’ annual pilgrimage to Mecca.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Pictures of friendship drawn on hearts: Philippines

Fethullah Gülen’s message to the International symposium “Ijtihad and Qiyas: The richness of Islam”

Ministry of Education denies authorizing raid on Gülen-inspired schools

Woman says she miscarried baby due to stress under police custody

African Union Commission chair supports creation of more Turkish schools

Dr. Esposito: The Gulen Movement Introduces Turkey To The World

Turks threatened over alleged links to the Gülen movement find a safe haven in Greece

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News