Joint mosque-cemevi project launched in Tokat


Date posted: June 10, 2014

TOKAT

A mosque and a cemevi — an Alevi house of worship — will be built in the same complex in the Reşadiye district in the northern province of Tokat as a bridge-building initiative between the town’s Sunni and Alevi communities.

“The project that we have laid the foundation for will strengthen bonds between our people and highlight our differences as our source of richness. We are attaching great importance to this project in order to understand each other. Our religion and [holy] book is the same. We have a lot of common ground. For this reason, it’s very important to be located in the same complex. This project has special meaning. I hope similar projects will be realized in many other places,” said Muharrem Bektaş, the chairman of the association that launched the project, during the groundbreaking ceremony for mosque-cemevi cultural center.

The joint mosque-cemevi project was initiated by the Association to Construct and Maintain the Mosque and Cemevi of Güllüce, an Alevi village in Reşadiye.

When completed, the mosque and cemevi will share the same three-story building. The complex is scheduled to be completed in a year.

Reşadiye Mayor Cemil Kılıç and Tokat’s deputy mufti, Kenan Habiboğlu, attended the groundbreaking ceremony along with the residents of Güllüce village. During the ceremony, verses from the Quran were read while an Alevi prayer, Gülbank-ı Muhammedi, was also recited.

Turkey’s first-ever joint mosque-cemevi complex has been under construction in Ankara since last September. The project, which is being carried out by the CEM Foundation and the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation, was first suggested by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in the US in self-imposed exile.

CEM Foundation Chairman İzzettin Doğan welcomed Gülen’s suggestion and took on the project, the first stage of which was financed by Sunni and Alevi businessmen.

Though it aims to strengthen bonds between the Alevi and Sunni communities, the joint mosque-cemevi project in Ankara has drawn diverse reactions from the Alevi community.

Alevi associations including the CEM Foundation, the Anatolian Alevi-Bektaşi Federation and the Association of Confrontation with the Past welcomed the project and stated that it would help alleviate tensions between Alevis and Sunnis and contribute to the culture of coexistence in Turkey. However, Alevi associations such as the Alevi Bektaşi Federation, the Pir Sultan Abdal Culture Associations and the European Confederation of Alevi Associations criticized the joint mosque-cemevi project, claiming it aimed to water down Alevism within “moderate political Islam.”

They also claim Alevi and Sunni communities do not have any serious problems with each other, adding that Alevis were demanding rights from the state, not from Sunnis.

In the aftermath of the Gezi Park protests last summer, demonstrations were staged against the project in Ankara’s Alevi neighborhood of Tuzluçayır, where the joint mosque-cemevi is being built.

The project in Ankara is scheduled to be completed this year.

Source: Todays Zaman , June 10, 2014


Related News

Turkish-Armenian intellectual says failed coup staged to purge Gülen followers

Turkish-Armenian linguist and writer Sevan Nişanyan, who escaped from a prison in İzmir in July, shared his take on a failed coup in Turkey last year, saying it was staged in order to cleanse the Turkish military of followers of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Since the launch of the major corruption operation on Dec. 17, 2013, more than 20,000 police officers, bureaucrats, judges and prosecutors have been reassigned for no official reason other than their suspected links to the Hizmet movement.

Turkish police raid Zaman building, attempt to detain editor

The police reportedly came to detain Zaman daily editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı. The officials said they could not “fulfill their tasks” because of the pressure and had to leave the building. Protesters chanted unceasing slogans such as “Free Media Cannot be Silenced.”

The Hizmet movement and external forces

Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi and the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) make statements on behalf of the Hizmet movement. Even the GYV’s statements can hardly be considered as binding for every individual who is inspired by the Hizmet movement and who participates in different projects in a different manner as the Hizmet movement does not have a central organization or membership mechanism.

Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims

In a 43-page report published on Tuesday, the human rights group said a “climate of fear” had prevailed since July’s failed coup against President Tayyip Recep Erdogan and the arrest of thousands under a state of emergency.

Turkish business suffers under Erdogan’s post-coup Gulen purge

Critics of the ruling AKP expect it to sell Gulen-linked companies to government allies in the business world at a large discount. In mid-October the AKP-linked Metro Holding applied to the TMSF to acquire all of Koza Ipek Holding’s shares. Akin Ipek, the fugitive former owner of the conglomerate, asked on Twitter how Koza Ipek’s $600 million in cash and $20 billion in mining assets could be acquired by a comparatively unimpressive entity. Metro Holding’s capital comes to just over $95 million.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Opposition lashes out at terror investigation against Kimse Yok Mu

FM Davutoğlu says Turkish schools abroad play important representative role

Cambodian PM congratulates students from Turkish high school on GENIUS Olympiad success

Now, speaking Turco-Tweetish is more challenging

Gulen Movement’s Global Appeal: Reflections from Chicago

Or is it Gülenophobia?

Fethullah Gulen calls on Muslims to help Hurricane Sandy victims

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News