Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010


Date posted: December 9, 2013

The Islamist Akit daily published a story on illegal profiling conducted by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) that targeted religious groups back in 2010, long before the Taraf daily, which is currently under fire from the government for publishing similar documents, the authenticity of which have been confirmed by the government.

The news story that Akit, then named Anadolu’da Vakit, published on April 29, 2010, reports that while the Fethullah Gülen movement was among the religious groups to be closely monitored by MİT, the terrorist al-Qaeda had been removed from the list completely.

Although today Akit attempts to downplay the importance of similar profiling activity, it had run the story with the headline “MİT report astonishes.” Neither the Office of the Prime Minister nor MİT denied the existence of such a document.

According to the list of profiling victims published by Akit in 2010, the MİT Department of Destructive Religious Activities classified religious groups in Turkey according to the perceived level of threat they posed. The Süleymancıs (followers of Islamic scholar Süleyman Tunahan), Nakşibendis (members of a Sufi order), the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH), the followers of Islamic Scholar Said Nursi and the Fethullah Gülen movement are all in the category of the highest level of threat. The National View (Milli Görüş), from which today’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) sprang, and the Association of Human Rights and Solidarity for Oppressed Peoples (MAZLUM-DER) are included in the second-level category.

Although the Gülen movement was not included on the watch list in 2009, it was added to the list the following year, while the terrorist al-Qaeda group that committed lethal bombing attacks in 2003 was removed from the list in 2010.

Similarly, the Süleymancıs and Nakşibendis were also upgraded on the threat list from the second level to the top level in the space of one year.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 9, 2013


Related News

A dirty war in the run-up to the elections

With the Gülen movement officially marked in police reports as being a “terrorist organization,” we can say that the ruling party’s war against the civilian populace has truly reached its dirtiest stage. A brief summary: The Gülen movement is undoubtedly one of the Muslim world’s most peaceful and tolerant civil movements ever.

Yet another woman detained due to Gülen links shortly after delivery

Teacher Esra Demir was detained on Monday, a day after giving birth in Batman, as part of a witch-hunt targeting the Gülen movement, news website tr724 reported.

Crackdown in Turkey passes the point of no return

Turkey’s alliances with the US and EU are fraying badly. Above all, Mr Erdogan is moulding the country in his own image, with only a uniform message allowed. As one liberal intellectual puts it: “In the past you got arrested for what you said, but now you can be arrested for what you don’t say.”

Whistleblower Fuat Avni: Gov’t to plant weapons in Hizmet buildings to declare it terrorist group

A government whistleblower who tweets under the pseudonym Fuat Avni has alleged that the government is planning to plant weapons and ammunition in houses and buildings used by followers of the Hizmet movement in order to declare the movement a terrorist organization ahead of the upcoming general election.

Turkey Should Protect All Prisoners from Pandemic

Terrorism may sound like the gravest of offenses, but in Turkey, the government misuses the charge for political ends. Many inmates are placed in lengthy pretrial detention or sentenced without evidence.

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Ankara should not threaten us with coup

If someone wants to help Kyrgyzstan, this help should be unconditional, the President of Kyrgyzstan Almazbek Atambayev said. “If you set some conditions; then, please, do not help us at all. We are not dictated anything… Do not tell us what we should do. We do not need such aid; then, take it away,” the president added.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Dutch police detain second Turkish man for threatening Erdoğan critics

Thai minister thanks to Turkish schools for contribution to education

Qatar deports 45 Turkish nationals over Gülen links

How does the Hizmet movement fare with democracy?

Peshawar High Court Restrains Federal Government From Deporting Turkish Teachers Of Pak-Turk School Till Dec 1

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu delivers aid to Afghani flood victims

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News