Turkish schools and businessmen mobilized for Izmir’s EXPO candidacy


Date posted: November 13, 2013

The Turkish schools around the globe have been making great effort for Izmir’s EXPO 2020 win. The schools and businessmen have taken action so that Bureau of International Expositions committee opts for Turkey in the voting to take place in Paris on November 27th.

“What is lost with Olympics can be made up for in EXPO,” Fethullah Gulen had earlier said. The capital city of EXPO 2020 will be named in Paris. In the run-up to the voting, Izmir’s EXPO 2020 Executive Committee in particular, the Turkish schools worldwide, TUSKON, Aegean and Mediterranean Industrialists and Businessmen Federation (ESIDEF) and many Izmir lovers have mobilized for Izmir’s victory gaining 167 committee members’ votes.

Tuncay Ozturk, Secretary-General of International Turkish Education Association (TURKCEDER) said the schools abroad have been actively contributing to Izmir’s promotion by meeting with senior officials in their host countries and following up on the committee for Izmir’s victory. They have formed close relationships with respective decision-making bodies and committee members of countries particularly in Africa, Central Asia, Far East, South America and Oceania, Ozturk noted.

ESIDEF President and an EXPO Executive Committee member, Mustafa Ozkara, said, from institutions to ministries, everyone has been doing their parts but the schools have been contributing most. “What the school have done are well to the purpose. We are grateful to them. They are watching over Turkey in the international arena. They’ve practically mobilized the acceptance, reputation and credibility they enjoy in their host countries for Izmir’s EXPO candidacy, for which we are grateful,” Ozkara noted.

According to Ozkara, ESIDEF and TUSKON alike stepped forward in the efforts too. He went on to say, as ESIDEF, they included EXPO item in their agendas at a total of 72 business visits abroad past year. ESIDEF is a NGO in business world with the highest number of guests of foreign business delegates and senior officials in Aegean region. Speaking of their initiatives, “The foreign delegations we hosted gave their word. I believe as ESIDEF we exceedingly did our part. Each and every ESIDEF member are working like Izmir’s EXPO envoys. Hosting EXPO will be a stepping stone for Izmir. Izmir will make a name for itself around the world, as our second city alongside Istanbul” Ozkara said.

Published [in Turkish] on Zaman, November 11, 2013.

Source: HizmetMovement.Com , November 13, 2013


Related News

Erdogan pushes to close down Gulen-inspired Turkish schools in Africa

Turkish President Erdogan is pressing ahead for the closure of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement (aka Hizmet movement) in African countries. There are more than 100 Gülen-inspired schools in Africa, as well as other parts of the world. The government praised these schools in the past as key institutions promoting Turkish culture abroad.

Turkish gov’t issues detention warrants for 121 women on Int’l Women’s Day

The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants on International Women’s Day for 121 women over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Filipino businessman grateful for Turkish schools

Filipino Chairman of Union of Chambers and Exchange Commodities Abdulgani Macatoman praised the Turkish schools operating in his country for their achievements. “My both children are studying at the Turkish schools. These schools have been among the top-rated all the time. We have a total of 926 high schools in the capital Manila and the Turkish schools top the list. I would like to thank Turkish people for establishing these schools.”



Fethullah Gülen condemns the terrorist attack in Gaziantep, Turkey

I condemn, in the strongest terms, the barbaric terrorist attack on attendees of a wedding ceremony in Gaziantep, Turkey that took the lives of more than fifty citizens, including children, and wounded many others. This is not just an attack on the attendees of a wedding, but also an attack on the solidarity of people of Anatolia, including Turks, Kurds, Arabs, Boshniaks, Albanians, Georgians and Circassians and others who lived as neighbors for centuries.

Body of Turkish woman fleeing to Greece found weeks after boat capsized

Turkish authorities have found the body of Aslı Doğan, a Turkish woman who went missing after a refugee boat carrying eight people capsized in the river that marks the border of Turkey and Greece on Feb. 13, 2018.

Turkey confiscates $billions worth more than 200 companies in operations targeting Gülen

The government-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) has taken over more than 200 companies as part of investigations into the Gülen movement in the recent past. Akın İpek, the CEO of Koza İpek Holding until the confiscation, said 18 of the group’s confiscated companies alone worth over $10 billion.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gulen teachings take root

Turkey’s picture on freedom of the press bleak on WPFD

Mozambican president: I will continue to support Turkish schools

2-month-old denied breast milk for 17 days while under detention with mother

Did Erdoğan say ‘shut up’ to Gen. Eruygur?

The last refuge of losers: deporting a journalist

Pro-Rashid Dostum Afghan security forces raided Afghan-Turk Boys High School in Shibirghan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News