Afghan official lauds Turkey’s education drive

International Mazar-i Sharif Afghan Turk High School
International Mazar-i Sharif Afghan Turk High School


Date posted: May 10, 2010

afghan-officialŞEYMA AKKOYUNLU, İSTANBUL

A top Afghan official has praised Turkey’s efforts to boost education and help in restructuring Afghanistan, saying Turkish assistance to the country was unparalleled.

“Turkey has a very special place in Afghanistan. It is the only Muslim country in NATO, and the Afghan people trust Turkey. The source of this trust is the assistance provided by the Turkish Cooperation and Development Agency [TİKA] and Turkish schools in Afghanistan,” Rashid Mubariz, Afghanistan’s deputy minister of culture and information, said on Thursday.

Mubariz was speaking during a meeting of Turkish and Afghan journalists hosted by the Medialog Platform, a body affiliated with the independent Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) promoting dialogue among media institutions. “There are 48 countries [contributing to NATO’s peacekeeping force] in Afghanistan. But no country can do what Turkey is doing,” Mubariz, who visited Turkey with a group of 10 journalists, also said.

The Afghan official called on Turkish schools operating in Afghanistan to increase their efforts to provide education to the Afghan people, saying the Afghans are very pleased with their current work.

There are six Afghan-Turkish schools — including one girls’ high school — operating in Afghanistan, the first of which was opened in 1995. The high schools — in Shibirgan, Mazar-e-Sharif, Kandahar and Herat for boys, and one all-girls high school in Kabul — operate under the designation “Afghan-Turkish Schools.” This year, Turkey is to build and furnish 15 schools and seven health clinics through TİKA. There are over 6 million students in Afghanistan, with over 4,000 schools operating without proper school buildings.

Victims of the Taliban

Afghan journalists attending the meeting appeared to be united in blaming the Taliban for the current instability and insecurity in Afghanistan and in stating that the NATO presence in the country was a necessity. “There was not a single Afghan national involved in the Sept. 11 attacks. Yet we became victims of the Taliban,” said Sanjari Suhayl, editor-in-chief of the Hasht-e-Subh daily, told the meeting. Another journalist, Fahim Dashti of Haftanamey-i Kabul, said almost all Afghans wanted NATO troops to stay because Afghanistan was currently unable to fight the vast number of problems it faced.

Dashti also warned that Afghanistan’s security problems were a threat to the entire world and that, if efforts to contain them in Afghanistan fail, the whole world would be affected. “We don’t have much to lose. But if we lose, our allies will also lose. The Taliban has objectives outside of Afghanistan. If they seize control in Pakistan, they will seize control of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons. Then the war that we lost will continue in İstanbul, Berlin and other places,” he said.

Commenting on the presence of international troops in Afghanistan, Mubariz said no country would want to see foreign troops in its streets but added that NATO was providing security in Afghanistan and that NATO’s withdrawal depended on Afghanistan’s ability to create its own army.

Mubariz also called for more cooperation between Turkish and Afghan media institutions and training programs in Turkey for Afghan journalists.

Source: Today’s Zaman, 8 May 2010, http://www.todayszaman.com/news-209659-102-afghan-official-lauds-turkeys-education-drive.html


Related News

Bosnian Court Lifts Movement Restrictions on Turkish Citizen

A court in Bosnia and Herzegovina has terminated restrictions on the movement of Turkish citizen Fatih Keskin, previously imposed by the Service for Foreigners’ Affairs following his arrest and subsequent release in December last year, the court told.

Morocco and Turkish schools

Sait Gürsoy I recently went to Morocco, as an Anafen Schools guest with a group of journalists. The aim was to monitor educational and cultural exchanges between the two countries. Under the leadership of my beloved brothers -the schools’ vice general managers, Ismail Efe and Yasin Yucel- we not only had a nice touristic tour […]

‘Building Bridges Through Education’ explores education’s role in a globalized society

Leaders of more than a dozen universities from around the world recently visited California University of Pennsylvania to discuss collaborative educational opportunities and the cultural gap that education can bridge.

Report reveals closure of prep schools against Constitution

A recently released report by a think tank based in İstanbul has revealed that the controversial law shutting down Turkey’s private prep schools or “dershanes” includes clauses that violate the Turkish Constitution.

Local NGOs urge Georgian gov’t to avoid returning Turkish teacher back home

Eight non-governmental organizations have called on the Georgian government to refrain from returning detained Turkish teacher to back home where “he will be possibly subjected to political persecution, torture, inhuman and degrading treatment or punishment. “[He] will have no access to fair trial,” said a statement, released on May 31.

Turkish Education Ministry engaged in profiling of staff, daily claims

The Taraf daily published a number of new documents on Monday that showed the Ministry of Education has profiled its staff based on their ideological and religious backgrounds. The documents, which date back to September 2013, suggest that ministry personnel who voiced criticism of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and who are members of religious or faith-based groups were “noted” in official communiqués.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Peace Islands Institute Celebrates 10th Anniversary

Gülen’s curse was misquoted, misinterpreted, GYV chief says

GYV awards peace projects in İstanbul ceremony

Hizmet, Gaza and the 14-year-old boy

Dutch police arrest Erdogan backer for threats after failed Turkish coup

Turkey After the July Coup Attempt – Alan Makovsky’s testimony before Committee on Foreign Affairs

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News