Purge-victim businessman sent back to prison a week after stomach cancer surgery: son


Date posted: January 4, 2020

Hacı Boydak, a Kayseri-based Turkish businessman, has been put in solitary confinement only one week after he underwent a cancer surgery, according to his son.

Mr. Boydak is one of the executives of the Kayseri-based Boydak Holding.  He has been held in solitary confinement at Ankara’s Sincan Prison since Aug. 5, 2016 due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt in 2016.

The movement denies any involvement.

“Is it cancer or a tumor? Let me introduce it to you. It is the tumor that was on the stomach lining of my father Hacı Boydak in July 2016. Forty percent of his stomach was removed, and he was jailed only one week after this surgery. He has been in solitary confinement in Sincan for 3.5 years,” Mehmet Boydak tweeted, attracting huge attention on social media.

Mehmet Boydak also wrote that people who came to the hospital to visit his father following the surgery were treated as if they had come to congratulate him due to the coup.

“Even though my father says in court that he defeated cancer, statistics show that the disease has a risk of recurring. It is impossible to make up for a loss that can take place under these circumstances,” he said.

In July 2018 Hacı Boydak received 11 years, 10 months and Şükrü Boydak 10 years, both on charges of membership in a terrorist organization, while Memduh Boydak was given a jail sentence of 18 years on charges of leading a terrorist organization.

Boydak Holding, which was seized by the Turkish government after the coup, is active in a number of sectors, including energy, furniture and banking with 38 subsidiaries. According to its website, it has an annual turnover of more than TL 6 billion ($2 billion) and employs over 13,000 people.

In October the name of the company was changed to Erciyes Anadolu Holding by Turkey’s Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF).

Source: Turkey Purge , January 2, 2020


Related News

Former US diplomat: War on Turkish schools in Africa ruining Turkey’s credibility

Former US Ambassador to Ethiopia and Adjunct Professor of International Relations David Shinn told Sunday’s Zaman in an exclusive interview that Turkey tends to lose its credibility when it asks African governments to close Turkish schools as African leaders traditionally put up resistance when they are told what to do by an “external power.”

Pundits: plans to close down Turkish schools abroad arbitrary, political vandalism

Turkish intellectuals are increasingly voicing concerns about the government attempt to close down the Turkish schools that provide an education to thousands of students abroad, saying the move is personally motivated and unwise.

Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims

In a 43-page report published on Tuesday, the human rights group said a “climate of fear” had prevailed since July’s failed coup against President Tayyip Recep Erdogan and the arrest of thousands under a state of emergency.

Brazil court orders release of Gulen-linked businessman accused by Ankara of terrorism

Brazil’s Supreme Federal Court ordered Tuesday the release of a Brazil-based Turkish businessman who was arrested over links to US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Minister’s remarks on Gülen cause AK Party members to resign

“The reason we have decided to quit is the defamation campaign launched against the Hizmet movement and its moral leader, Gülen, after the Dec. 17 operation that has occupied the [country’s] agenda for the last month,” Kara said, adding that the ugly allegations and defamation campaign against Gülen have offended their consciences.

Former AK Party minister praises Turkish Olympiads

Former interior minister and Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İstanbul deputy Abdulkadir Aksu said on Thursday that Turkish schools abroad serve as islands of peace, adding that he is looking forward to this year’s Turkish Language Olympiads.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kurdish intellectuals denounce attack on Şırnak educational institution

No better gift for Nigerien orphans

Taiwanese scholar: Hizmet movement wins hearts with education, charity

Gülen discounts neither past nor modernity

EU and Turkey’s rights abuse

Gülen not only my hero, also a model for other religions

Students from 135 countries to join Turkish Olympiads this year

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News