Government blocks bank accounts of aid organization

Head of the Kimse Yok Mu Charity İsmail Cingöz (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Head of the Kimse Yok Mu Charity İsmail Cingöz (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: October 28, 2014

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME / ISTANBUL

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government’s efforts to disrupt the work of Turkey’s leading aid organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) continues with the unlawful blocking of the organization’s bank accounts on Oct. 22.

President of Kimse Yok Mu İsmail Cingöz told Today’s Zaman that the government’s decision to block their organization’s bank accounts was an attempt to paralyze the aid organization, which was found to be clean following extensive legal investigations.

Cingöz said that the accounts of Kimse Yok Mu at two banks, Garanti and Akbank, were blocked following a note from the İstanbul Governor’s Office. Cingöz says that Kimse Yok Mu were not privy to the content of the note, although they were told that several banks received it.

In an earlier decision, which Kimse Yok Mu filed a legal complaint against, the Cabinet made it illegal for the charity to raise money without prior permission from the Government on Sept. 22. Cingöz said that although the decision was groundless, the charity asked the banks not to accept funds for specific campaigns, but the Governor’s Office now prevents access to their previously collected money by violating the existing rights of the charity. Cingöz noted that Kimse Yok Mu will file a legal complaint against the Governor’s Office, the department of associations within the Ministry of Interior and the two banks.

Kimse Yok Mu has already issued legal complaints against officials who were involved in a smear campaign against the aid organization, which feels threatened by the government due to its affiliation with the Hizmet movement. Cingöz said that due to arbitrary investigations and fabricated reports on the charity, they are suing Minister of Interior Efkan Ala, his undersecretary and the director of department of associations Yılmaz Doruk, asking for 10 million TL compensation.

The government stopped aid

Criticizing the government’s deliberate efforts to undermine Kimse Yok Mu, Cingöz says that the decision to make obtaining permission obligatory for all aid campaigns, the government is blocking aid to millions of people.

Cingöz refered to the remarks of Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç who asked Kimse Yok Mu to write a petition when it needs permission to raise money. Cingöz says that the government’s aim is to cripple the charity. Since Sept. 22, Kimse Yok Mu applied for permission to raise money for seven different aid campaigns, but the government has not responded to them. Cingöz says there is 60-day time limit for responses, but it is most likely that the government will wait until the last minute to reject their requests.

According to Cingöz, by pending the requests, the government is preventing aid reaching people in Gaza, Palestine, Syria, Turkmens and the rebuilding of the schools in southeastern Turkey, which were burned in terrorist attacks.

The government aimed to prevent timely delivery of eid aid

According to Cingöz, the government’s decision was well planned in terms of timing. The official notice was delivered on Oct. 2, just two days before eid al-adha, for which people had already donated money for animals to be slaughtered and delivered to the poor.

“By the time we received the official note we had already collected the money for the meat delivery,” Cingöz said. According to him, had they not delivered the animals to poor, they could have been accused of misuse of funds, as some associations have in the past.

No new legal decision can be applied to past campaigns as Cingöz says and Kimse Yok Mu is still authorized to raise money from donations, though not for specific campaigns.

As far as the alleged government plans to appoint a trustee to the charity, Cingöz says that had the government discovered the slightest malpractice, they would have done so. “I wonder what crime they will attribute to us,” Cingöz said as he challenged the government one more time to find any evidence of fraud.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç dismissed claims on Monday during a press briefing following a bi-weekly Cabinet meeting that the authorities are considering to appoint a trustee to take over the aid organization, noting that he particularly asked Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who rejected any efforts in that regard.

Rule of law continually violated by gov’t

Speaking to Today’s Zaman regarding the decision to freeze the Kimse Yok Mu’s bank accounts, main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Mehmet Bekaroğlu defined the implementation as unlawful.

“This is an unacceptable decision. The government’s blatant and arbitrary moves know no limit. We are encountering lawlessness similar to the Feb. 28, 1997 process. [An unarmed military intervention that resulted in the fall of the coalition government led by Necmettin Erbakan of the now-defunct Welfare Party (RP) under the leadership of Gen. Çevik Bir]. If there is an offense and criminals, then the courts launch the needed legal process. A civil society group or a segment of society cannot be targeted through various reasons,” he added.

Criticizing the government’s arbitrary decisions about the charity, former İzmir Mayor Burhan Özfatura emphasized that the political administration is acting on the basis of revenge and hatred, adding: “It violates the law blatantly. Blocking Kimse Yok Mu’s bank account is unconscionable and contradicts the law regulating aid organizations’ authority to hold aid campaigns and collect money. It is a fact that previous examinations into the charity came out clean.”

Criticizing the government’s concessive attitude towards the settlement process being conducted between the government and the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), Özfatura went on: “Those people who struggle to serve their country are deprived of the tolerance that is shown towards the terrorists. Cruel treatment of businesspeople affiliated with the [faith-based] Hizmet movement is continuing. The rule of law is continually violated.”

Source: Today's Zaman , October 27, 2014


Related News

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter detailing the threats that the media in Turkey face was published by Le Monde, one of the leading newspapers in France, on Monday.

History teacher gives birth to her third child in prison

Under arrest as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement since Nov 3, 2016, history teacher Özlem Meci gave birth to her third child in prison. Özlem delivered her third child, named Murat, on Feb 15, 2017 but her requests for trial without arrest have remained inconclusive so far.

Kimse Yok Mu reach out its helping held by distributing meat in Mongolia

Kimse Yok Mu, one of the biggest charity organizations in Turkey, just like every, this year also did not forget those who need in Mongolia. The meat of the cattle, which were sacrificed in some parts of Mongolia on the occasion of Eid-al-Adha, was distributed to Mongolian families by volunteers of Kimse Yok Mu.

Germany: Turkish Intel’s spy list may be deliberate provocation

Germany’s interior minister said Thursday that Turkey’s intelligence agency may have given its German counterpart a list of suspected supporters of a U.S.-based cleric to “provoke us in some way.”

Turkish delegation calls on Chief Minister of Punjab

LAHORE: A Turkish delegation led by Onal Ozturk, Chairman of the International Turkish NGO, Kimse Yok Mu, met Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif at Model Town here on Tuesday. Matters of mutual interest and Turkish cooperation in the ongoing development projects in Punjab were discussed on the occasion. Chairman of Lahore Transport Company Khawaja […]

Turkish Education Ministry engaged in profiling of staff, daily claims

The Taraf daily published a number of new documents on Monday that showed the Ministry of Education has profiled its staff based on their ideological and religious backgrounds. The documents, which date back to September 2013, suggest that ministry personnel who voiced criticism of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and who are members of religious or faith-based groups were “noted” in official communiqués.

Latest News

This notable Pocono resident has been living here in exile since 1999

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

That is Why the Turkish Government could Pay 1 Billion Euros

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools

“These schools are cultivating future’s prominent Malians”

Russian Diplomat Assassin’s Sister Says Police School, Not Gulen, Radicalized Him

Free speech groups condemn Turkey’s closure of 29 publishers after failed coup

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

With happy life left behind, hardship awaits us as exiled family

Freedom award recipient Bartholomew praises Gülen’s peace efforts

Copyright 2021 Hizmet News