UK court rejects ‘politically motivated’ Turkish extradition request of businessman

Thankful. Turkish businessman Akin Ipek (C) speaks to reporters as he leaves after appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London, September 25. (AFP)
Thankful. Turkish businessman Akin Ipek (C) speaks to reporters as he leaves after appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London, September 25. (AFP)


Date posted: December 5, 2018

John Zani, district judge at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court, declined Turkey’s request, expressing “serious reservations about the current state of the rule of law in Turkey.”

LONDON – A British court has rejected an extradition request from Ankara for exiled businessman Akin Ipek, who is facing charges of terrorism funding in Turkey. A judge said the application was “politically motivated” and that Ipek faced a risk of mistreatment should he be returned.

John Zani, district judge at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court, declined Turkey’s request, expressing “serious reservations about the current state of the rule of law in Turkey.”

Ipek is wanted in Turkey, along with Ali Celik and Talip Buyuk on charges of terrorism-funding, fraud and membership of the so-called Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organisation (FETO).

The decision was a serious setback for Ankara’s efforts to have suspected FETO members in other countries returned to Turkey. Ankara has been lobbying Washington to extradite Gulen, who lives in Pennsylvania, and senior members of his movement but US officials say Turkey’s evidence against the accused is not strong enough to stand up to scrutiny in US courts.

A least 80 suspected Gulen supporters have been arrested by Turkish intelligence agents in Africa, Asia and Europe, in what critics termed illegal renditions.

Although Zani said he believed the three men would receive a fair trial in Turkey, he rejected the extradition request saying the defendants risked ill-treatment.

“I am persuaded… that there is substantial evidence that this request is politically motivated,” Zani said in his ruling.

“I am entirely satisfied that, by reason of their actual or perceived political views, coupled with the assertion by the Turkish authorities that they are part of the hierarchy of the Gulenist movement, each defendant before this court runs a real risk of Article 3 (of the Human Rights Act) breaches.”

Article 3 of the Human Rights Act is the only absolute act in the 1998 legislation and deals specifically with the prohibition of torture. “No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment,” the British act says.

Ipek, who was in court to hear the decision, said he was “very thankful” that the extradition request had been refused. He accused the Turkish government of waging a “campaign of intimidation” against him for his anti-government views.

Ipek’s lawyer, Michael Drury, praised the court’s decision, saying: “Seldom can there have been a clearer case of a nation-state persecuting three obviously innocent men on perverse grounds.”

Ipek made a multibillion-dollar fortune in Turkey based mainly around gold mining. He was chairman of the Koza-Ipek Group, which includes a variety of operations outside of mining, including media outlets. Turkey formally seized the Koza-Ipek Group in 2015, including its media outlets, citing financial irregularities.

Ipek was a known supporter of the Gulen movement, which had, until recent years, been part of an alliance with the ruling Justice and Development Party, which is led by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Ipek fled Turkey in 2015 when relations between the government and Gulen’s followers soured. Ankara accuses the Gulen movement of being behind a 2016 failed coup attempt and has carried out a widespread crackdown against the group, including formally designating it as a terrorist organisation in May 2016 — two months before the coup attempt.

Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul said the extradition attempt not over and the Turkish government was expected to appeal the decision in the High Court.

“It is an unacceptable ruling that our extradition request for F..O fugitives Akin Ipek, Ali Celik and Talip Buyuk was rejected by Britain,” Gul said. “Our struggle will continue until the members of the terrorist organisation are brought to Turkish justice.”

The Turkish Foreign Ministry said Ankara expressed disappointment to the UK government. “It was strongly emphasised to the British authorities that the decision of the Westminster court, which refused the extradition of the accused to our country, was unacceptable and deeply disappointing,” the ministry said in a statement.


Source: The Arab Weekly , December 2, 2018


Related News

Government allegedly plots to blame Bingöl attacks on Hizmet movement

Twitter user @fuatavni has claimed the government has launched a plan to blame an attack in which two police officers were killed on Oct. 9 in Bingöl on the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji

The Sakarya Administrative Court on Friday issued a stay of execution on the closure decision for Fatih Koleji, a Hizmet-affiliated school that has been running in the Beyköy district of Düzce province, saying that the school is allowed to continue to operate in the 2014-2015 education period.

A Turkish coup, a family torn apart, a dramatic escape on foot: ‘Can you believe the things we went through?’

She could stay in Turkey where she might end up imprisoned, at risk of torture and sexual assault, and separated from her young children. Or she could take them on a dangerous journey, with no guarantee of survival.

Turkish woman returned to prison immediately after giving birth

Yasemin Baltacı, who was arrested over her alleged links to the Gülen movement just two weeks before the end of her pregnancy, was reportedly returned to Manisa Prison immediately after giving birth in a hospital in Tarsus on Saturday.

Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist

An anonymous witness in Denizli failed to identify any of the 145 suspects, earlier accused of being followers of the Gulen movement, during a court hearing on Oct. 30. The judge in charge loudly read the names, however Aslan did not remember any of them. The judge asked: “Did you tip off about some names during your statement to the prosecutor, is that right?”

Fethullah Gulen and February 28th Military Coup

Nazli Ilicak, March 3, 2012 While February 28th is debated these days, a notion has been created as if Gulen was collaborating with “post modern coup.” In fact, Gulen in his interview on Channel-D on April 17,1997 asked Refahyol government to resign. However, these words were spoken in order to reduce the tension in the […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

GYV gathers politicians, diplomats at iftar dinner in Turkish capital

‘Hiç Durmadan Hizmete Devam’: Turks Decry Erdogan Decision Via #HiçDurmadanHizmeteDevam

Fethullah Gulen Criticizes the Da Vinci Code

Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen Condemns Brussels Terrorist Attacks

Fethullah Gulen expresses sorrow for deadly Connecticut shooting

Turkish Cultural Center in West Haven hit with graffiti in wake of unrest

Hrant Topakiyan’s feelings about the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Copyright 2023 Hizmet News