Turkish Authorities Deny Funeral Service for Drowned Gulen Supporters and babies


Date posted: July 31, 2018

Local municipality officials in western Turkey denied funeral service and funeral vehicle for six people, including three babies, who drowned while attempting to reach Greek island of Lesbos in a bid to flee persecution in their home country.

On early Sunday, six Turkish asylum seekers, who were believed to have ties to Gulen Movement, died when a boat carrying 16 people capsized off northwestern Turkey coast.

The bodies were taken to Ayvalik Hospital Morgue in Ayvalik, a coastal district of the northwestern province of Balikesir. Then they were transferred to Bursa State Hospital Forensic Institution for an autopsy report. Bursa mayor refused to provide a funeral vehicle for the slain bodies due to their perceived links to Gulen Movement.

Omer Faruk Gergerlioglu, former human rights activist and a lawmaker from pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party (HDP), wrote on Twitter that the municipality blocked public service to the victims. “No funeral vehicle to FETO,” Mayor Alinur Aktas instructed the officials, he said.

The Turkish government labeled Gulen Movement as a terrorist organization and remanded more than 50,000 people in jail over real or perceived ties to the group. Ankara placed the blame for the failed 2016 coup on the group.

After the lawmaker brought the claim in social media, Bursa Metropolitan Municipality Public Relations Department denied that.

Asked by journalists, Department Director Ahmet Bayhan noted that the municipality does not make politics through dead bodies of people and they provide service to citizens regardless of their political and social affiliation.

“We have no such an instruction. We don’t make politics over funerals; our job is to provide service,” he said.

In a statement by the municipality, it said families wanted to send bodies to far away provinces. According to the procedure, the municipality informed the families that corpses should be brought by plane. When the families preferred land route, they found vehicles with their own measures, without any service by the municipality.

During the state of emergency, which ended on July 18, more than 150,000 public workers have been either suspended or dismissed from civil service and security bureaucracy over charges of having links to Gulen Movement. The arbitrariness, the lack of fair trial and due process sparked international criticism during the post-coup purge.

The HDP lawmaker, a physician and an academic, was also dismissed from his job. He frequently brings the cases of victims to national attention and now in Parliament.

International human rights groups have called on Turkey to restore rights of the purge victims. But Ankara has so far refused the calls.

 

Source: The Globe Post , July 30, 2018


Related News

Women gather for UN development agenda in İstanbul

Women, tasked studies on poverty, woman, child, education, environment and health mostly within the body of the UN came together for a program held by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV). With the event titled “Women’s Perspectives on UN Post-2015 Development Agenda” various sessions on nongovernmental organizations and developments targets, environment and economy will be held.

Today’s Zaman celebrates 6th anniversary with columnists, editors

Today’s Zaman editors and columnists came together to celebrate the daily’s sixth anniversary at a dinner on Monday night. Some 30 Today’s Zaman columnists and the daily’s editorial staff came together at the Today’s Zaman headquarters in İstanbul for the dinner. “Today’s Zaman has been acknowledged as a reliable source of news and analysis during […]

From republic to al-mukhabarat state

As seen in [an official] document published on Friday, MİT has ordered its branches to finish off Hizmet and other religious groups. MİT now stands above all other institutions of Turkey, as well as the judicial and legislative branches.

Belgium court sentences man to 6-month in prison over online threats targeting Gülen followers

A local court in Belgium’s Limburg province has given 6-month jail time plus 600 euros fine to a 37-year-old man who threatened Gulen supporters online.

Corruption investigation: Questions that will hound PM Erdoğan

Everyone is wondering now what is behind the corruption investigation, and the first “suspect” to come to many minds is the Islamist Gülen movement. Tensions between this group and the AKP have been rising over the years, and boiled over recently due to the prep-school issue – a matter that has received wide media coverage.

The Gülen movement denies this but the vitriol flying between daily Zaman, which is close to Gülen, and Yeni Şafak, which is staunchly pro-AKP, is enough to give one a sense of the bitter struggle involved.

Kerry Tells Turkish Foreign Minister Coup Accusations Irresponsible

Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday he told Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu that it was irresponsible for his country to accuse the U.S. of involvement in Friday’s coup attempt.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey torture claims in wake of failed coup

Dr. Ergil answers 100 questions about Fethullah Gülen and his movement

The gravest-ever smear

Turks Fleeing To Greece Find Mostly Warm Welcome, Despite History

Turkish cleric demands fatwa to amputate hands, feet of Gülen followers

11th Turkish Olympiad opens with grand ceremony in Ankara

Fate of Pak-Turk Schools: Erdogan, Jamaat-e-Islami-backed Maa’rif Foundation?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News