87-year old prisoner gets 11-day solitary confinement for ‘hoping release one day’


Date posted: November 28, 2017

Ali Osman Karahan, an 87-year-old Turkish man who has been kept in an Isparta prison for almost 15 months over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, was given 11-day solitary confinement for relieving other inmates by saying: “if you are not guilty, you will be released one day.”

“I can’t believe my eyes. They sentenced an 87-year-old arrestee to 11-day solitary confinement for ‘he declared his hopes for release.’ @abdulhamitgut, read out this ruling. Would your conscience agree on it? Unbelievable…” rights defender Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu tweeted, mentioning the Justice Minister Abdülhamit Gül, on Monday.

Witnesses questioned before the decision said Karahan would tell other inmates: “I can’t predict what to come in the future. As Said Nursi put it, you will be released if you are not guilty.”

An investigation was launched against Karahan after he was reported to have told his family members during a closed prison visit that other inmates had been asking him to pray to God for their releases.

An advanced-stage prostate cancer patient who has only one kidney left, Karahan is a former disciple of the Ottoman-Kurdish scholar Said Nursi, the teachings of whom later inspired Turkey’s Gülen movement over the past years.

In its decision for the punishment, the Isparta E Type Prison’s disciplinary board said Karahan made propaganda for a criminal group.

Turkey experienced a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

The movement denies any involvement. However, the Turkish gov’t initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

More than 130,000 people have passed through police custody and 60,000 of them were remanded in prison like Karahan.

Karahan made it to the news last week as well after the government tried to transfer him to a prison in Afyonkarahisar, a province located some 100 km from Isparta.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , November 27, 2016


Related News

Another dismissed gov’t employee abducted in black van in Turkey’s capital: wife

Yet another post-coup victim was forced into a black van in broad daylight in Turkey’s capital province of Ankara, according to a family member.

Kenya Embassy Donates Food & Warm Clothes to Syrian Refugees

Kenya Embassy donations were channelled through Kimse Yok Mu (or ‘Is Any One there’), a Turkish Non-Governmental Organisation on 29th January, 2013. It is noted that Kimse Yok Mu is one of the international NGOs that actively responded to the Horn of Africa humanitarian crisis in 2011 that saved the lives of thousands of Somali refugees from imminent death due to prolonged drought.

Erdogan on a mission to seek allies more than trading partners

Erdogan wants the Gulen-linked schools in Africa to be closed down, although they are the very educational establishments which are popular with Africa’s middle class. They have sprung up all over Africa in recent years. They are an affordable alternative to French schools.

Gulen-inspired school raided by Turkish diplomats, Turkish soldiers in Afghanistan

A group of Turkish diplomats led by Turkish Consul General Şevki Seçkin Alpay together with dozens of Turkish soldiers and Afghan military police officers raided an Afghan-Turk school in Mazar-e Sharif, northern Afghanistan, on Tuesday.

Turkish nationals in Bangladesh living in fear

In a recent press conference, Ambassador Devrim Öztürk claimed that some Turkish nationals in Dhaka, in particular those working at the Turkish Hope School, were involved with what he called the Gülenist Terror Organisation (FETÖ). Foreign Ministry officials who spoke to the Dhaka Tribune said they saw the ambassador’s request as a violation of diplomatic norms.

Erdoğan prepares for a bloodbath

Erdoğan’s ruling party has also begun issuing weapons permits to loyalists, especially through the Ottoman Youth Authority (Osmanli Ocaklari). I have previously reported Erdoğan’s appointment of former general Adnan Tanriverdi, the head of SADAT, to be his military counsel. Tanriverdi had been dismissed by the Turkish General Staff during the 1997 soft coup and appears bent on revenge against the secular order.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan’s endless legitimacy crisis

AK Party provincial board member resigns after insults

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey

Erdoğan distorts Gülen’s NYT op-ed, says it is about Bank Asya operation

Gülen’s book “Eternal Light” under spotlight at Pakistani fair

Questions on a Coup – Did Erdogan engineer it himself?

Fethullah Gulen calls on Muslims to help Hurricane Sandy victims

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News