Ultranationalist Columnist Says Turkey Must Get Rid Of Gülen Followers, Hints At Mass Burning


Date posted: September 14, 2017

Sabahattin Önkibar, a columnist for the Aydınlık daily, which is affiliated with the ultranationalist Homeland Party (VP) of Doğu Perinçek, said on Sunday that Turkey must immediately get rid of sympathizers of the faith-based Gülen movement and hinted at their mass burning, giving an example from history.

Speaking during a live broadcast on Ulusal Kanal on Sunday, Önkibar said the Gülen movement exists in all segments of Turkish society and accused its followers of infiltrating state institutions. He also claimed that 90 percent of the Gülen movement’s political wing is linked with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).

While speaking on how to fight the Gülen movement, Önkibar gave what he claimed was an example from history, saying Mehmet II, the Conqueror, dug a huge hole near Edirne and set thousands of people linked to the Hurufi sect on fire in the hole after realizing that they had been infiltrating state institutions including his own palace.

“After being kicked out of Iran, the Hurufi came to Anatolia and later Edirne. They also came to İstanbul after its conquest. Similar to FETÖ, they infiltrated the army, the state, even the palace. Fatih Sultan Mehmet saw this and a huge hole was dug near Edirne and a huge fire was set in it. Thousands of Hurufis was thrown into that fire. Not tens or hundreds, thousands of them were without doubt burned alive. Fatih Sultan Mehmet did it that way. Now, you will say: Shall we burn Fethullahists in a similar way? I can’t say that, but we must do some to get rid of them somehow,” he said.

FETÖ is a derogatory term and acronym for the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization, coined by Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AKP government to refer to the Gülen movement, accused by the Turkish government of masterminding the failed coup attempt. The movement strongly denies any involvement in the putsch.

Turkey survived a controversial military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people. Immediately after the putsch, the AKP government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

Over 146,000 people, including many in the armed forces, police and judiciary as well as the education and business sectors, were fired from state jobs. Nearly 125,000 were detained and more than 58,000 arrested over alleged links to the failed coup.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , September 11, 2017


Related News

Gülen speaks to Kurdish paper, renews his support for education in mother tongue

Well-known Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has voiced strong support for education in one’s mother tongue, in reference to allowing the use of Kurdish in education in Turkey, and said basic human rights and freedoms could not be the object of any political bargaining as they are the natural rights of human beings. Speaking to […]

Proof of the ‘parallel state’

Referring to a news story that appeared in the pro-government media about unfounded allegations about the police, Bülent Arınç, the second man in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), had said, “A dignified person should not speak without evidence.” Arınç’s words are now being used by opposition parties to criticize the prime minister.

Turkish Olympiads and achieving peace

ORHAN OĞUZ GÜRBÜZ A utopia ushers in a new era. We explore and take courageous actions thanks to our dreams of what is possible. Turkish colleges around the world are sponsored by entrepreneurs who are members of a movement in Turkey that has made serious progress in creating this utopia. If you describe languages, religions, […]

Le Monde: Ankara offered Senegalese government $7.5 million to transfer Yavuz Selim educational group to Maarif

“I don’t even know who Gülen or (Turkish President Recep Tayyip) Erdoğan are,” mother Oury Mbaye told the website following reports her child’s school could be handed over to the Turkish government-controlled Maarif Foundation. “If they are imposing managers on me that have no experience in education, I will transfer my children to a French school. I did not choose Maarif.”

Turkish intelligence staged a rocket attack on Erdoğan’s palace to rally public support

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) appears to have staged a rocket attack on the palace of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan three days after a failed coup in order to bolster the perception that the threat of a putschist attempt was still alive and to rally public support for the government.

If whoever touched Gülen was doomed, we would have been ashes by now

“If whoever touches him is screwed, it should have been me who would have gotten screwed first; I should have been in ashes by now because I have published the harshest material against Gülen. I have published the most derogatory books against him.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen offers condolences for slain İstanbul resident shot at protest

UN praises Kimse Yok Mu for aid efforts in Somalia

Kimse Yok Mu becomes first charity to reach Philippines from Turkey

Erdoğan gov’t threatened to ‘wipe TUSKON off market map,’ says chairman

Destici: No one should attempt to change law to save themselves

Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen

Turkey’s crisis deepens

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News