Netherlands poised to cancel status of Islamic university over rector’s discriminatory remarks
Date posted: September 17, 2016
Dutch Education Minister Jet Bussemaker announced that there is a parliamentary debate over the Islamic University of Rotterdam for cancellation of the “university status” of the institution due to Rector Ahmet Akgündüz’s repeatedly hateful and discriminatory remarks against Turkey’s minorities and the Gülen movement.
According to the amendment that Bussemaker is working on, the government will intervene if an educational institution does not perform its task of “promoting social responsibility.”
The Islamic University of Rotterdam announced earlier this week that it will no longer cooperate with education ministry watchdog NAVO’s investigation into the quality of the institution. NAVO launched another investigation into the institution because of Akgündüz’s remarks.
Bussemaker criticized Akgündüz’s remarks, saying the actions of the rector are in conflict with Dutch values and norms. “A rector does have a lot of academic freedom as figurehead of an institution, but it goes with great responsibility,” she said.
The Famous Soccer Player Hiding in Plain Sight in a California Bakery
Most customers do not recognize the fit, well-dressed man walking around Tuts Bakery and Cafe, picking up used cups and dirty dishes. Why would they? And what would he be doing here? Hakan Sukur, 46, is one of Turkey’s most famous athletes, its most celebrated soccer player, a World Cup hero and a veteran of several of Europe’s top leagues. So how did Sukur end up here?
Cihan TV network celebrates 10th birthday
AYTEN ÇIFTÇI / MEHMET TAYANÇ / KORAY TEKIN, İSTANBUL The Cihan TV network, which encompasses 94 local and regional television broadcasters, marked the 10th anniversary of its establishment on Thursday night. Members of the network, established in 2003 to strength local media, benefit from accurate, fast and trustworthy news sources for free. A reception was […]
US ambassador story concocted by gov’t team, claims daily
Reports appearing in pro-government newspapers accusing US Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone of remarks regarding a major graft probe were manufactured by government teams, according to the Taraf daily on Wednesday.
On Saturday four pro-government dailies ran the same story claiming Ricciardone had told a group of European ambassadors that the US had asked Turkey to cut the Iranian financial link with Halkbank — a bank that is now accused of suspicious money transfers, as well as gold trading, with Iran.
Kimse Yok Mu chair Cingöz: Everyone feels some type of oppression in Turkey
Kimse Yok Mu was designated a nongovernmental organization in March 2002. It had started its work following a devastating earthquake in Turkey in August 1999. Kimse Yok Mu now reaches out to different regions of the world affected by catastrophes. It is officially recognized by Turkey as an association that works for “public interest.”
Operation and crossroads: Hizmet movement falsely accused
The delicate position in which the government now finds itself is real, but it is also a fact that the Hizmet movement is being falsely accused.
Those who support the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and are affiliated with the Hizmet movement do not deserve such an outcome.
Fethullah Gulen challenges Erdogan, calls for international probe into Turkey coup allegations
Fethullah Gulen calls for international probe into Turkey coup allegations, says will accept findings.
Latest News
Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan
SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis
Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison
Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney
Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement
ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment
New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement
European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests
ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases
In Case You Missed It
Doesn’t Obama know Gülen is in the US?
Nigeria: When Hearts Converged Through the Language Festival
Bal asks whether Erdoğan is trying to suppress religious communities
Turkish Gov’t Systematically Violated 12 Fundamental Rights During Emergency Rule
Indonesian students in Turkey at risk of Gulen purge
Toward a security state
Main opposition deputy head slams gov’t for targeting Hizmet Movement