Gulen Denies Involvement – Erdogan Uses Coup for Repression


Date posted: July 31, 2016

Cathy Burke

The Muslim cleric being blamed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for masterminding a bloody coup attempt says “ultranationalists” were behind the plot in a “scenario” that looked “more like a Hollywood movie” than a military uprising.

In an interview aired Sunday on CNN’s “Fareed Zakaria GPS,” Fethullah Gulen, living in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, denied having any direct connection with those who plotted the coup attempt.

He suggested that the immediate arrest or firing of thousands of Turkish officials showed that Erdogan had planned such a move, and was waiting for a pretext.

Gulen is a moderate Islamic theologian and preacher who leads the Hizmet movement, which opposes Islamic extremism, jihadism or terrorism in any form. The group has held enormous influence in Turkey’s public bureaucracies, and has pushed for stronger ties between Turkey and Europe as well as NATO.

“If there is anyone I told about this verbally, if there is any phone conversation, if one-tenth of this accusation is correct, I will band my neck and say, ‘they are telling the truth, let them take me away, let them hang me.'”

“I have neither talked to anyone, nor did I say anything to anyone on the phone,” he insisted.

According to The Washington Post, Turkish leaders are stepping up their calls for the United States to detain and deport Gulen to Turkey for his supporters’ allegedly being behind the failed July 15 coup attempt.

On Sunday, Gulen said, “They (the Erdogan government) will do whatever it takes, but if they could provide evidence for one-tenth of what they have been claiming and take me back by force, there is not much I can say about this.

“What matters is whether or not they can do this by means of law, and I don’t think this will happen with the will of God,” he said.

Gulen speculated about “ultranationalisst” behind the attempt.

“According to some… ultranationalists have planned this and they put some religious-appearing people at the front in order to demonize them, with the idea that such a scenario would receive grassroot public acceptance,” he said.

Gulen also mocked the idea those in the military, bureaucracy and the judiciary loyal to him might be trying to destabilize the Turkish government, and suggested a “state scenario.”

“I don’t think it is possible … some people stated a scenario, then someone who’s seemingly a fan has led some people into this,” he said. “It looks more like a Hollywood movie than a military coup.

“It seems something like a state scenario… from what is being seen, that they have prepared the ground for what they have already planned,” he added.

Gulen and President Erdogan had once been allies. But the two broke as Erdogan began taking steps to undermine Turkey’s democracy and constitution. Since taking power, Erdogan has fired or arrested most of the country’s senior military staff.

He has also embarked on a systematic effort to squelch political dissent. Hundreds of journalists have been arrested in recent years, making Turkey the most repressive of media in NATO.

Gulen conceded some supporters might have been among the rebels.

“There might have been some sympathetic people among them,” he said. “I would consider them to be betraying the nation, I would consider them to be disrespectful of my long-time ideas. ”

“I would curse people who resort to coups against democracy, liberty and republic,” he declared.

Source: NewsMax , July 31, 2016


Related News

Expert’s opinion: Turkey’s Demanding Extradition Of Fethullah Gülen Is Frivolous Grandstanding

Although ordinarily I respect his cool-headedness and self-control, in hindsight I wish President Obama had been equally blunt in responding to President Erdoğan’s demands that the US extradite Fethullah Gülen. All of his demands, beginning in 2014 and vigorously renewed in the wake of the July 15 attempted coup, have been completely illegitimate and unfair.

Erdoğan’s game plan for Hizmet

Erdogan may continue to demonize and even to try to criminalize the Hizmet movement in an effort to brainwash his people into believing that he is the only one who can save the nation. We will see if this brings him the additional votes he needs to be elected president.

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation on the Bombing in Manchester, UK

It is heartbreaking that a concert, a joyful event meant to bring people together to enjoy music and friendship, so quickly devolved into a scene of violence, chaos and terror. Any attack on the sanctity of human life is an attack against humanity. I will continue to denounce without hesitation any use of violence to promote an agenda – whether religious, political or ideological.

Islamabad High Court: Pak-Turk Schools will not be handed over to Turkish Government

Justice Aamer Farooq of the Islamabad High Court on Friday disposed of a petition filed by Pak-Turk Educational Foundation against the possible handover of its schools to another Turkish educational network, the Maarif Foundation.

Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says

Jason Hanna and Tim Hume Captured military officers raped by police, hundreds of soldiers beaten, some detainees denied food and water and access to lawyers for days. These are the grim conditions that many of the thousands who were arrested in Turkey face in the aftermath of a recent failed coup, witnesses tell Amnesty International. […]

Is the Gulen Movement an alternative to the state?

Some say, “You [Gülen Movement] are acting as the honorary ambassadors, counselors, and attachés, are you the alternative to the state? My answer is as follows: If some people are taking care of the business in the places where you cannot reach, you have to only admire and compliment them.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

Prof. Leo Lefebure on Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement

Turks Fleeing To Greece Find Mostly Warm Welcome, Despite History

Enforced Disappearance: Cases of Hizmet Movement members and International Law

Kimse Yok Mu’s Eid al-Adha worldwide aid efforts continue

Reaction mounts against PM’s witch-hunt remarks

US, Gülen to trigger artificial earthquake(!) in İstanbul, Ankara mayor says

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News