Gulen Schools Fight Provokes New Tensions in Bosnia

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: July 27, 2016

RODOLFO TOE

Row over schools operated by alleged Turkish coup leader could spark new conflicts and aggravate divisions in Bosnia according to experts.

A feud between Bosnian schools connected to Fethullah Gulen, alleged leader of the recent Turkish coup, and Turkish authorities in Ankara could exacerbate rifts within Bosnia, an international relations expert told BIRN.

“Importing conflicts from other countries into Bosnia and obliging our citizens to express their support for one of the sides will create new divisions in our society,” Esref Kenan Rasidagic, professor of international relations at the University of Sarajevo, told BIRN.

Turkish president Recep Tayyp Erdogan has criticised schools in the region allegedly connected to Gulen’s ‘Hizmet’ movement in the past.

But Turkish government denunciations of the schools have increased significantly after the attempted military coup on July 15. Turkish President Erdogan has claimed that Gulen and his followers are responsible for the coup.

Schools connected with the Hizmet movement have operated in Bosnia since the end of the 1990s war, according to the movement’s website.

After the coup attempt in Turkey, Bosnian media speculated that these institutions are currently operating under an umbrella educational organisation called ‘Bosna Sema’, that includes 15 schools in several Bosnian cities, among them Sarajevo, Zenica, Bihac, Tuzla and Mostar. Bosna Sema also operates an International University in Sarajevo.

Last week, the Turkish ambassador to Bosnia Cihad Erginay called on local authorities to take measures against these schools, without explicitly mentioning their names.

“We expect governments from all over the world to fight against this terrorist organisation because we have seen that … they infiltrate state institutions; [to counter this phenomenon] it is a duty both for state institutions and parents [who send their kids to these schools],” Erginay claimed.

Erginay stated that some countries have already taken some measures against these educational institutions, and urged the Bosnian government to do the same. Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan are among those that have moved against the schools according to Croatian news agency Hina.

“This organisation doesn’t menace only Turkey,” Erginay told Sarajevo-based television Face TV.

Quarrels about the Gulen schools have also spread to Croatia. The Turkish ambassador to Croatia Ahmet Tuta told Nova TV on Monday that parts of Gulen’s ‘terrorist organisation’ were present in Croatia.

“It has a foreign language school that works [in Croatia], which is also trying to organise other activities, but the Croatian authorities are very careful and watch what they do. I hope that this cooperation between Croatian and Turkish authorities will continue,” said Tuta, adding, “all intelligence reports and information were sent to the Croatian authorities accordingly.”

While Bosnian authorities didn’t react to Erginay’s words, some members of the main Bosniak Party of Democratic Action (SDA), which has developed strong ties with Erdogan in recent years, warned that schools following Gulen principles may represent a problem for the country.

“We don’t need these schools, we have our own system,” Salmir Kaplan, a SDA member of the Parliament of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, one of two Bosnian entities, told the Turkish news agency Anadolu. Kaplan argued that the best solution would be to close the schools.

Bosna Sema, in a written statement, recognised that its foundation was inspired by Gulen, but denied having any current connections to him.

“Bosna Sema schools are Bosnian schools operating with due respect to local regulations,” Orhan Hadzagic, Bosna Sema’s public relations head, told BIRN, pointing out that “apart from the initial idea of launching operations, the association has no connection with Gulen.”

Hadzagic also described the pressure from Turkish institutions as, “an action of interfering in the internal affairs of our country,” and he called on the Bosnian government to react.

Esref Kenan Rasidagic agreed that the alleged Gulen-connected schools are regulated according to Bosnian law, and that shutting them down would be very difficult.

“First of all, they are not Turkish schools, they fully operate under the Bosnian law; second, it would be not easy for Bosnian authorities to simply shut them down, since the educational system is very fragmented in our country,” Rasidagic said.

He also pointed out that, in any case, Bosnian authorities should act independently from the political quarrels in other countries.

“If we decide to close the schools that are part of the Gulen movement in Bosnia, than what will happen the day the government in Turkey changes? Should we shut down the other Turkish educational institutions as well?” he concluded.

Source: Balkan Insight , July 26, 2016


Related News

Are we to wait for our Fethullah Gulen?

Serhii LASHCHENKO The power of the Turkish philosopher is that he gradually managed to captivate hundreds of thousand of people with his ideas. How did he do that? Through schools. As a good gardener that created his bountiful garden for years and decades, Fethullah Gulen directed his pupils toward consecutive and persistent transmission of knowledge […]

New Turkish School launched in Chad

A new school building has been launched under the umbrella of Chad-Turkish Educational Institutions active in the central African country Chad, saved from the brink of revolution in early May. In attendance of the grand opening of the school founded by the deceased philanthropist Ahmet Guner from Duzce (a province in Turkey) in the capital […]

US Congressional Record: President Erdogan’s Assault on the Human Rights of the Turkish People

I rise to remind our government that the human rights abuses committed by Turkish President Erdogan are grave and ongoing, and to distinguish between the Turkish president and the Turkish people–and to stand with the people.

Class-B shareholders join objection against Asya decision

The lawyer representing B-type shareholders of recently seized private lender Bank Asya has filed a case against the takeover decision, demanding an injunction along with compensation for losses at the stock market.

Gursel Tekin: Gulen’s remarks on the third bridge are valuable

Hüseyin Keleş Republican People’s Party Deputy Chairman Gursel Tekin gave the daily Zaman noteworthy statements on Turkey’s heated agenda. Speaking of the controversies over naming the third bridge as “Yavuz Sultan Selim”, Tekin expressed his support for Fethullah Gulen’s remarks, saying, “Let’s not sacrifice all the bridges to build one. To me, we should not ruin the order […]

Gülen’s lawyers slam Erdoğan’s ‘slanderous’ unsolved murders remarks

The lawyers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have denounced recent statements by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in which he held the Hizmet movement responsible for some unsolved murders in Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Rumi Forum Hosts Religious Extremism Debate

New York Times : Hundreds of Police Officers Reassigned in Turkey

Afghan education minister: Turkish schools are model for private schools

Turkey Coup Attempt Leaves America With Stark Choice

Syrian Refugees Blanket & Coat Drive

Fethullah Gulen Statement on ISIS

Romania denies extradition request for Turkish teacher over Gülen links

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News