Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences for those killed in Dağlıca attack

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: September 8, 2015

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to the families of the soldiers killed in a terrorist attack in Dağlıca in Hakkari province on Sunday, while expressing his belief that the people of Turkey will defeat terrorism by maintaining their solidarity.

“I wish God’s mercy for those killed in Dağlıca, Battalion Commander Lt. Col. İlker Çelikcan and the other soldiers, along with the 102 security personnel who have been killed in a number of cities in the last 50 days, while I pray that God grant urgent healing to our wounded brothers. I extend my condolences to the mourning families, children and relatives,” Gülen said in a statement on Tuesday.

A group of Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) terrorists ambushed two military vehicles in Dağlıca by remotely detonating landmines, which they followed up with an armed assault. Subsequently, the Dağlıca Battalion Command deployed reinforcement troops to the area and clashes between the PKK and Turkish soldiers reportedly lasted around six hours. Sixteen soldiers were killed by the PKK and six were wounded.

In his statement, Gülen also praised the people of Turkey, who he said had always been resilient in the face of pain and suffering. Gülen said, “I have no doubt that [the Turkish] people will answer terrorism nobly by preserving their unity and solidarity and by disappointing those who want to achieve their goals through bloodshed.”

Gülen has inspired millions of people both in Turkey and around the world with his peaceful rhetoric that promotes intercultural and interfaith dialog. On many occasions, Gülen has strongly condemned terrorism and the killing of innocent people regardless of the reason.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 08, 2015


Related News

Turkey’s Erdoğan Regime Extends Post-Coup Witch Hunt Targeting Gülen Followers Abroad

Turkey, under the autocratic rule of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has stepped up its witch hunt against the alleged members of Gülen movement abroad, pro-Erdoğan English paper Daily Sabah reported. So far, 16 alleged Gülen followers have been abducted or caught abroad and transferred to Turkey from Asian, Middle Eastern countries and Bulgaria.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, cannot leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altıparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University, told the Los Angeles Times to describe how the lives of thousands have changed since a July 15 coup attempt. “You cannot leave the country, you cannot find other jobs, either because of legal or de facto obstacles, because even in the private sector people do not want to employ you.”

Turkish Human Rights Violations Put Under Microscope

The annual dinner celebrates and strengthens civic ties within the Turkish diaspora and with the United States; last night was no different save the sobering theme of the proceedings: Turkish human rights violations.

Washington Post on Erdoğan’s purge: Cruel frenzy in march towards authoritarianism

Mr. Erdogan, the Turkish president who was the target of a failed coup last July, has since carried out a wave of arbitrary punishments and imprisonments of thousands of journalists, academics, bureaucrats, lawyers and human rights defenders he suspects of affiliation with Mr. Gulen and his movement. This cruel frenzy is just the latest step in Mr. Erdogan’s march toward authoritarianism.

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

“The espionage agents around the Turkish religious authorities go beyond Germany,” the article read adding that “not only were the names of persons transmitted” but also activities by the Gülen movement-affiliated schools, day-care centers, cultural and student associations reported to Turkey.

Biden says US courts to decide on Gülen’s extradition

In a development that surprised many, the US State Department said on Tuesday that Turkey has formally requested the extradition of Gülen but not on issues related to the recent coup attempt, which Turkish leaders have accused him of inspiring.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Abundant accusations [against Hizmet], little evidence

Fethullah Gulen calls on Muslims to help Hurricane Sandy victims

British Lords introduced to Fethullah Gülen’s concepts

Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

Lawyers confirm: Turkish teachers are still in Kosovo

Father says wife, 11-month-old son under arrest despite medical problems

17 Nigerian-Turkish schools caught in Ankara coup crossfire

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News