European court rules Asya-like seizure of bank unfair


Date posted: July 22, 2015

In a decision that could potentially set a precedent for similar cases in Turkey, the Strasbourg-based European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) on Tuesday ruled that the seizure of the country’s Demirbank in 2001 was unfair.

Demirbank, Turkey’s fifth largest private bank at the time, was seized by the government during the domestic banking crisis of 2001 and turned over to the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK). Demirbank was among the 11 banks that went bankrupt at the time.

The BDDK sold shares of Demirbank to HSBC for $350 million in 2001. Demirbank was established in 1953, and by the time it was sold to HSBC it had about 200 branches, $3 billion in deposits and some 650,000 retail customers.

The ECtHR said it has yet to decide on compensation for Demirbank. “The Court held that, in both cases, the question of just satisfaction was not ready for decision and reserved it for examination at a later date,” Tuesday’s note on the ECtHR website said.

Observers say Tuesday’s decision will set a precedent for any similar cases heard by the ECtHR in the future. Earlier this year, the BDDK handed over control of the country’s largest Islamic lender Bank Asya to the state-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF), in what most consider a politically motivated move.

Experts earlier argued Turkey may be forced to pay sizeable compensation for the Bank Asya intervention in the future if an international court such as the ECtHR reverses the decision. Bank Asya has not yet appealed the seizure with the ECtHR.

Two shareholders in Demirbank had separately appealed the BDDK decision with the ECtHR, demanding that its operating rights be returned. Back in 2006, Demirbank shareholder businesswoman Sema Cıngıllıoğlu appealed with the ECtHR. Another shareholder, German citizen Michael Reisner also went to the ECtHR in 2009 after he failed to receive a favorable result in his court cases inside Turkey.

The court has been hearing the two appeals and said on Tuesday it found the confiscation unfair. The court ruled that the bank owners had been unlawfully expropriated of their property.

Following the domestic banking crisis of 2001, Turkish lender Kentbank was also seized by the government and handed over to the BDDK. The owner of the bank had appealed the decision with the ECtHR, demanding that its operating rights be returned and that $4.13 billion be paid in compensation. The court found the confiscation unfair.

Last year, the ECtHR awarded shareholders in Russian bank Yukos 1.9 billion euros ($2.6 billion) in damages. Yukos, once worth $40 billion, was broken up and nationalized a decade ago, with most of its assets handed to Rosneft, an energy giant run by an ally of President Vladimir Putin.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 21, 2015


Related News

Istanbul police display hundreds of books among evidence of ‘terror’

Police seized Gülen’s 1,500 books; 24 CDs featuring Gülen’s speeches; TL 435,200 ($148,000) along with $99,200 and 700 euros; several laptops; two guns and some digital data, during operations targeting the alleged terrorist network of the movement.

Fethullah Gülen’s statement regarding the family that drowned in the Meric (Evros) River

With tremendous sadness, I have learned that a mother and her two children lost their lives in the Meriç (Evros) River while fleeing Turkey in order to escape persecution by tyrants in their home country.

Journalist Dumanlı says slanders against Hizmet reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Dumanlı has described slanderous remarks used by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some members of the Justice and Development Party government against the Hizmet movement as highly reminiscent of insults directed at the country’s conservative-minded citizens during the Feb. 28, 1997 “postmodern coup” period.

Turkey Bars Entry Of Critics By Adding Their Names Next To ISIL Suspects

Turkey has been arbitrarily refusing the entry for foreign nationals of Turkish origin who are deemed critical of the country’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his government, citing the national security risks.

Opposition leader Destici: Since when has exposing graft been a crime?

Allegations previously dismissed by judicial authorities are being raised again. People in the bureaucracy are being profiled. Officers have been removed from their posts in some ministries. Furthermore, mayoral elections are scheduled for March, and campaigning is becoming tenser.

Abant Platform to discuss framework of new constitution

5 March 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL The prestigious Abant Platform, which has tackled pressing issues facing Turkey since its establishment in 1998, will aim in its next meeting to contribute to the shaping of Turkey’s new constitution. The 26th Abant meeting, which will be held from March 9 to 11 in Turkey’s northwestern province […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Gülen calls on int’l community to pressure Turkey over rights violations

Dialogue and distrust: on the predicament of Gulen-inspired organisations in the UK

A medical center is being built next to Dadaap Camp

Extraditing Gülen: A smart move for the PM?

Turkish daily Taraf accused of ‘spying’ and ‘terror acts’ for publishing state document

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

Alevi associations react against halt of mosque-cemevi project

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News