Compensation case filed against Erdoğan for targeting Gülen-inspired schools

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. (Photo: DHA)
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: March 20, 2015

ŞAKİR TANRIVER / ISTANBUL

Fetih Educational Operations (Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri), which run schools affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, has filed a compensation case against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for targeting these schools since the eruption of a major corruption scandal in December 2013.

Fetih launched the compensation case with the İstanbul Commercial Court of First Instance and is seeking compensation of TL 100,000 for non-pecuniary damages and TL 20,000 for pecuniary damages over what they say is unjust competition due to Erdoğan’s remarks targeting Gülen-inspired schools. Fetih also wants the court decision to be published in Turkey’s three most-circulated dailies.

The Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has been a target of Erdoğan ever since a corruption probe came to public attention on Dec. 17, 2013, implicating senior members of the government. Erdoğan, who refers to the movement as the “parallel state” or “parallel structure,” accuses the movement of being behind the corruption operation and of being a criminal network seeking to overthrow the ruling party government. The movement strongly denies the claim.

Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government have taken action to ensure the closure of schools operated by Gülen followers in many countries around the world. Gülen-inspired institutions and schools in Turkey are also under intense pressure from the government.

There have been many instances in which Erdoğan has directly and publicly targeted Gülen-inspired schools and urged parents not to send their children to these schools. Following Erdoğan’s statements, some parents have removed their children from these schools. Twenty-nine students have left Private Fatih Gaziosmanpaşa Elementary School recently and 31 students have left the Fatih Gaziosmanpaşa High School. There has also been a decline in the number of students enrolling at Gülen-inspired schools, according to Fetih’s lawyers.

Erdoğan’s statements violate Article 54 of the Turkish Commercial Code (TTK), creating conditions of unfair competition, the lawyers claim, alleging that it is legally unacceptable for Erdoğan to present these schools as being part of a criminal network. Before he was elected president last August, Erdoğan — who was prime minister at the time — pressed ahead with plans to close down university preparation courses in Turkey, many of which are run by followers of the Gülen movement, in addition to numerous schools and dormitories.

At a rally ahead of the March 30 local elections last year, then-Prime Minister Erdoğan told his supporters: “Don’t send your children to their schools. State schools are sufficient for us. … There is every [misdeed] in [those schools]. They have abused our citizens so much.” At another election rally, Erdoğan continued to attack Gülen-inspired schools and publications: “Take your children out of their university preparation courses, schools and dormitories. Never allow their publications to enter your houses. … We need to give them a lesson,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 19, 2015


Related News

Mischief-makers and the Hizmet movement

Mischief-makers continue to work hard. Every objective conscience sees that the Hizmet movement now has to struggle for its rights and to defend itself against some unjust and fallacious accusations, such as that the Hizmet movement has created a parallel state, that it is an illegal organization and that it is even a junta.

Teacher detained in Turkey after forced return from Myanmar

Muhammet Furkan Sökmen, a Turkish teacher working for two schools established by Gulen movement followers in Myanmar, was forcibly returned to Turkey despite his cries for help on social media.

Private schools leave mark on Science Olympiad

İzmir’s private Yamanlar, Ankara’s private Samanyolu and İstanbul’s Fatih colleges all left their mark on the 20th National Antalya Mathematics Science Olympiad, organized for primary and secondary schools by Akdeniz University and held on May 3 and 4.

Wife dies of heart attack on way to prison to visit husband in jail

A 29 year-old woman died of heart attack on Monday while on her way to visit her husband who has been imprisoned over links to Turkey’s Gülen movement. Since the coup attempt on July 15, Turkey has turned into a hub of people victimized by the purge carried out by the Turkish government.

Islamic scholar Gülen calls for ‘reasonability’ in prep school row

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has called on the government to act “reasonably” in its plan to close test prep schools, adding that they were the ones receiving a “slap,” in a veiled reference to a statement from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. You have to defend it without making concessions in the language you use,” Gülen said in an apparent message to members of the “Hizmet” [Service] movement.

Twitter shouldn’t let itself become a tool for tyrants

Journalists have been in Mr. Erdogan’s crosshairs, and his campaign is pushing into the digital universe, too. Turkey is pressing Twitter to silence journalists, and Twitter must resist more vigorously. Twitter is a powerful force for free expression. “The tweets must flow,” the company likes to say. But they don’t always flow, as freedom of speech and democracy are in retreat around the globe.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen writes for Politico Europe: Muslims have a unique responsibility in fighting terror

What a plot attempts to tell

Kimse Yok Mu distributes meat with foreign volunteers in Indonesia

Niagara Foundation Ohio Award Ceremony gathers a large attendance

Turkish nationals in Bangladesh living in fear

Kurds, Turkey and growing with Öcalan’s help?

Gülen movement’s silent majority

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News