Bank Asya faithful boost deposits after Turkey seizes lender


Date posted: February 6, 2015

ISOBEL FINKEL

he typical image of a bank under duress is a long line of customers trying to get their money back. In Turkey this week, it was a queue of people trying to put it in.

Sayida Kayipova went to a Bank Asya branch in Istanbul’s Gultepe neighborhood, near the main financial district, on Wednesday. A customer for 6 years, the 31-year old chemistry PhD student was opening an account for her 7-yr old daughter’s 150 ($62) liras of savings, joining a line of customers to deposit funds a day after the government had seized the lender.

“I feel like an injustice has been committed so I wanted to take a stand,” she said. “Swooping down in the middle of the night like that is an attempt to scare people and manipulate our perceptions, but it will only pull us together.”

Bank Asya has become a battleground in the feud between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and self-exiled, U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, a preacher whom Erdogan blames for instigating a coup attempt against him and whose followers founded the lender. Supporters of each have sought, by turn, to strengthen and weaken the bank.

TV reports of customers queuing to deposit money at Bank Asya branches after the takeover follow a similar phenomenon in September, when partisans of the Gulen movement advertised the sale of electronics, cars and even apartments with the stated purpose of putting the proceeds into Bank Asya accounts.

That was in response to months of pressure, which included the suspension of trading in Asya’s shares on Istanbul’s stock exchange and Erdogan telling businessmen that accusations of attempts to bankrupt the bank missed the mark as the lender was “already bust.” The government attributed the takeover earlier this week to Asya breaking banking regulations on transparency.
“They’ve sent money through electronic transfer, they’ve come through my door with cash in hand; sometimes it’s tens and sometimes it’s thousands of liras, but it’s been very busy,” Mehmet Fatih Alsac, manager of Kayipova’s Bank Asya branch, said. “It’s got to the point where it’s just not rational any more and people just want to support the bank.”

Larger investors have also stepped in to keep the bank afloat, contributing 225 million liras in a capital increase in November, even after the bank’s assets shrank by half and it recorded its first-ever unprofitable quarter.

Regulatory obstacles for Asya started after Erdogan and former ally Gulen publicly fell out over a corruption probe into senior members of Erdogan’s government, which the former prime minister said was a plot to unseat him. Erdogan purged thousands of members of the police and judiciary in response, and none of the charges have resulted in convictions.

In the aftermath of the corruption scandal, state-owned companies like Turkish Airlines said they withdrew deposits from the lender.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, speaking at a rally in northwestern Kastamonu province, said on Wednesday the takeover was completely legal. “Why should a religious congregation have a bank, a prosecutor, a legal arm, a media arm?” he said in reference to Gulen’s global movement.

Ahmet Beyaz, replaced as chief executive officer in the state takeover, countered in an interview in pro-Gulenist paper Zaman published early Thursday that the move was an attempt to scare depositors into withdrawing their money.

Where a run on deposits might be expected, a run of deposits seems to have materialized instead. People queued up outside the bank’s branches holding signs that said, “We’ll not stop, we’re here to prop it up.”

Still, customers had called in to check that their savings were still there. Like the elderly gentlemen who feared for the 25,000 liras he had gathered for his pilgrimage to Mecca and, while Turkey guarantees citizens’ deposits up to the value of 100,000 liras, there had been withdrawals, said Alsac, the Kayipova branch manager.

“We’ve ended the day up though, without a doubt” he said, adding that the bank was inviting a gold expert into the branch to value trinkets customers were expected to put into bullion savings accounts popular at the country’s four Islamic lenders.

Isik Okte, investment strategist at BNP Paribas’s local unit TEB Invest, witnessed the commotion outside Asya’s head office the day after the takeover. He saw riot vehicles and Turkish flags, as well as placards reading, “We’ve come to lie down in front of our bank.”

“It was surreal,” Okte said. “There were crowds of young people, and women who’d brought their families, and grilled meatball vendors who’d turned up to feed the crowds.”

Depositors’ support for the ailing bank was mirrored by stock market investors. While Turkey’s main index was the world’s worst performer, in dollar terms, Bank Asya ended the day after the takeover 3.3 percent higher.

Published on Bloomberg Business, and also appeared on The Chicago Tribune, 05 February 2015, Thursday

Source: Bloomberg News , February 5, 2015


Related News

Scholars: Misconceptions of Islam still abound

SEVGI AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL The subject of misconceptions of Islam dominated the debates at the international conference organized by the Foundation of Journalists and Authors (GYV) and Fatih University in İstanbul today. The event, titled “The Practice of Coexistence in Islamic Civilization and Contemporary Interpretations,” started on Friday with the participation of international scholars and leading […]

Food and fun abound at Turkish Festival

Alamo Plaza was alive with music and food, Saturday, for the annual Turkish Festival. The free event celebrated different aspects of the Turkish culture including folk dance, the performing arts and authentic cuisine. This year’s theme was San Antonio Goes Turkish.

Rumi Forum Fellowship Program 2015

Rumi Forum is inviting PhD candidates and those who have recently completed there doctorates in social sciences for a study fellowship that incorporates a trip to Turkey with the mission of exploring social, economic, cultural, security and political issues in Turkey and the wider region during 2015.

Persecution of the Gülen Movement in Turkey

The Gülen (a.k.a Hizmet) movement, a faith-based community, has been subject to political persecution for more than two years by the Turkish government since they stood up against corruption and injustice under the rule of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Erdogan has publicly called for a “witch hunt,” and arrests, threats, and harassments have now become a routine for participants and sympathizers of the movement.

US Court Dismisses Turkey-backed Lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen

A US District Court in Pennsylvania today dismissed a politically-motivated lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen, an internationally respected Turkish scholar, preacher and peace activist. Brought about by three Turkish nationals with the backing of the Recep Tayyip Erdoğan-led Turkish government, the baseless lawsuit alleged persecution of the Doğan Movement at the direction of Mr. Gülen.

TÜBİTAK official says forced to make changes to bugging device report

The former head of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey’s (TÜBİTAK) Research Center for Advanced Technologies on Informatics and Information Security (BİLGEM) has said he was forced to make changes in a report as part of an investigation into a “bugging device” found at the prime minister’s office.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Dutch minister gives Turkish deputy a lesson on freedoms

Nigeria Gives 7-Day Ultimatum to Turkish Government to Release Over 50 Nigerian Students Held in Detention

Al-Azhar professor: Gülen courageously resists radicalism

Victims of Erdogan’s witch-hunt and purge get their voice heard

Gülen’s lawyer: Systemic, illegal wiretaps taking place in Turkey over last six months

Prof. John L. Esposito’s keynote at the Gulen Movement conference, Chicago

Foreign Affairs: Turkish government’s ‘Global Purge’ targeted opponents in at least 46 countries

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News