JWF strongly condemns this terrorist attack on the Charlie Hebdo
Date posted: January 8, 2015
Twelve people including two police officers were killed in a shooting at the Paris offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, according to Reuters.
We as the Journalists and Writers Foundation would like to stress that any terrorist activity, no matter who does it and for what purpose, is the greatest blow to peace, democracy, humanity, and all religious values. For this reason, no one – and certainly no Muslims – can approve of any terrorist activity. Terror is totally incompatible with Islam and it has no place in one’s quest to achieve independence or salvation. It costs the lives of innocent people.
So, we strongly condemn this terrorist attack on the Charlie Hebdo and share the pains of the victims and the whole French society.
IFJ representative denied permission to visit journalist Karaca in prison
The Justice Ministry has rejected a request from a coalition of international journalist organizations to visit imprisoned Turkish journalist Hidayet Karaca at Silivri Prison in İstanbul.
Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement
The daughter of former Bursa public prosecutor Seyfettin Yiğit, who allegedly committed suicide in a prison bathroom on Friday morning after he was put behind bars over Gülen movement ties, said on Saturday that her father was not affiliated with the Gülen movement but was with the Süleymancı movement, an Islamic movement in Turkey founded by Turkish Islamic scholar Süleyman Hilmi Tunahan in the early 20th century.
Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers
The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.
HAPPENING NOW: Police await outside hospital to detain woman who just gave birth
A group of police officers awaited outside of the Alanya Başkent Hospital in order to detain a woman who gave birth several hours ago, according to a tweet by former deputy Feyzi İşbaşaran. Fadime Günay, whose husband has recently been detained by police over alleged links to the Gulen movement, gave birth to a boy late on Sunday.
US says Turkey favors Sunni Islam over other creeds
A US State Department report has claimed that the Turkish government is prejudiced in favor of its Sunni Islamic citizens and neglects the needs of members of the country’s other minority religions, in addition to frequently employing anti-Semitic rhetoric.
HAPPENED AGAIN: Police detain woman who just gave birth at Mersin City Hospital
Filiz Y., a 30-year-old woman who gave birth at Mersin City Hospital last night, has been detained over alleged links to the Gulen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.
Latest News
Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away
Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice
Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say
Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?
Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case
A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook
Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?
Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis
In Case You Missed It
Turkey’s permanent state of crisis
Turkish-Americans in Tennessee worry about their homeland
Fethullah Gülen suggests Turkish coup attempt could have been staged
Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)
Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state
Ongoing political raids against schools and businesses are unconstitutional