Lailat al-Miraj marked with prayers for Soma victims across Turkey


Date posted: May 27, 2014

ISTANBUL

Along with the rest of the Islamic world, Turkey marked the Muslim festival of Lailat al-Miraj, known as Miraç Kandili in Turkish, which is the sacred day of the Prophet Muhammad’s ascent to Heaven, on Sunday, while also praying for the souls of 301 miners who died in a mining accident in the western Turkish province of Manisa.

Millions of people flocked to mosques across the country on Sunday as Soma’s Central Osman Gazi Mosque also hosted Soma residents, family members and relatives of the 301 miners who died in the disaster that hit Turkey two weeks ago.

The Islamic memorial ceremony was organized by the Kimse Yok Mu Foundation at the Soma Central Osman Gazi Mosque. Scores of people came from İstanbul, İzmir, Bursa, Manisa, Uşak, Balıkesir, Denizli and Kütahya to attend the ceremony in Soma.

After prayers were read for the 301 miners, the Kimse Yok Mu Foundation announced that these miners’ children will be provided with scholarships and educational opportunities. The Kimse Yok Mu Foundation’s Aegean region coordinator, Mesut Arıkanlı, extended the organization’s support to the families of the 301 miners, saying it will always back them.

“Our colleagues from our foundation’s logistics team have been here since the first day of the tragedy. Our volunteers have visited the miners’ families and delivered their condolences. They have identified the urgent needs of those people. We have also tried to be with our brothers through prayer, while also providing for their material needs. But no matter what is done, we understand that the pain our brothers have been through cannot be solved, as we cannot bring back our dead brothers. But our support and help will not be short term. As long as this foundation is alive, the children of our brothers will be provided with scholarships and educational opportunities,” Arıkanlı said.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 26, 2014


Related News

Will Turkish corruption scandal lead to return of military to politics?

The tactics the government has developed to defend itself against the graft investigations and their implications have once again brought the role of the military, military tutelage and potential coup attempts back onto Turkey’s agenda.

One year after attempted coup, purges have left hundreds of Turkish academics imprisoned

After the attempted coup, college professors have been hit especially hard, thanks to Gülen’s popularity inside Turkish higher education. Turks were encouraged to report Gülen’s followers to the government. Universities have been ordered to establish 7-8 member committees looking into anti-government activities of the faculty and administration.

Feza Schools to open branch in Dodoma, Tanzania

Feza schools fee charges have helped generate funds to finance education for the most talented but financially deprived Tanzanians. Over 1,200 students receive tuition fee scholarships from Feza, according to the official.

Muslim world in transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement

A conference was held in London on Oct. 25-27 to discuss contributions of the Gülen movement, led by Fethullah Gülen. This conference was launched at the House of Lords and was attended by several members of parliament, lords, baronesses, newspaper editors, academics, dignitaries and high-ranking civil servants.

Latest practices of AK Party gov’t raise fears of ‘one-party state’

İstanbul branch chairman, Aziz Babuşcu, who said the removal of Hizmet movement sympathizers from state institutions started long before the corruption scandal broke on Dec. 17 of last year. Babuşcu’s remarks drew condemnations, with many accusing the AK Party of removing public servants that the party dislikes from duty and filling state institutions with party supporters.

When lawlessness becomes a way of life

Erdogan also accused the movement of being behind several recent audio recordings posted on various social media networks that disclosed several conversations allegedly between himself and his son Bilal Erdoğan discussing how to get rid of large sums of money cached in their homes and those of their relatives.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ministry allegedly profiled students of dershanes close to Hizmet

Turkey- the state versus the people

Fethullah Gülen’s prospects for inter-religious dialogue

Gulen movement becoming victim of its own legend

Diverging points between AKP and Hizmet movement: Kurdish question

NPR interviews Stephen Kinzer on graft probe and Fethullah Gulen

Turkish headmaster accused of Isis links met Malaysian PM, not fit profile of an Isis operative

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News