Closing down Turkish schools impossible as demand on rise, says TUSKON head


Date posted: April 14, 2014

İSTANBUL

Though the ruling Justice and Development (AK Party) government is planning to shut down Turkish schools abroad that are affiliated with the Gülen movement, the head of the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has said that the demand overseas for such Turkish schools is making them impossible to close.

 

Speaking at the “Turkey-West Africa Trade Bridge” business event, which is running from April 13-16 and aims to boost Turkey’s trade volume with West African countries, TUSKON head Rızanur Meral said Turkish schools — now in about 160 countries — can’t immediately be shut down by an order from the Turkish government since most of them are founded by private entrepreneurs. He said there are demands for 500 new schools every year, highlighting the huge demand in host countries for more investment in education.

The Turkish government called for the shutting down of Turkish schools abroad, which Meral said has tarnished the Turkey’s world reputation. He said the schools are founded as a form of foreign investment and are in line with the laws of the host countries. Because of this, the Turkish government cannot shut down the schools that are abroad. Meral said officials in many of the countries that host Turkish schools have ask for more of the schools to be opened to help remedy issues in the field of education.

The business forum, which took place in the western province of Bursa, brought together more than 110 businessmen from eight African countries to hold bilateral meetings with 300 local businessmen from Bursa.

TUSKON often holds similar events, where thousands of businessmen from all over the world convene and discuss business deals worth billions of dollars every year.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 14, 2014


Related News

Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution. This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools. Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

66,000 students relocated after Turkish government shut down 15 universities over coup charges

Turkish government has closed down 15 universities across the country over their alleged links to the Gulen movement since last summer, leading 66,000 students to look for somewhere else to continue their education.

Didier Reynders welcomes a delegation of young artist of the International Festival “Colors of the World” in the Egmont Palace

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign affairs Didier Reynders has met with 20 children participating in the International Festival of Language and Culture “Colors of the World”, which is hosted tomorrow, June 6, in the Forest National concert hall.

Turkey wants India to crack down on ‘Gulen’ schools

Turkey has asked India to shut down schools linked to Fethullah Gullen — the second time the country has made such a request in its attempt to bring down the cleric it accuses of masterminding July’s failed coup.

Turkish Olympiads built on legacy of linguistic, cultural interaction

MESUT ÇEVİKALP, İSTANBUL Some 1,000 students from 130 countries have come to Turkey to attend the Ninth International Turkish Olympics. Students from different cultures are bringing their poems, songs and folk dances to the Turkish language festival. This year’s Olympiads, themed after Yunus Emre’s famous call, “Come and let’s get acquainted,” are much more colorful. […]

TUSKON storm

When Meral said: “Politics is a platform where you serve the people. It is not the place to make money or build a fortune,” thousands of businessmen listening to his speech stood up and enthusiastically applauded.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

“Abraham’s Table Gatherings” in Turkey hosts Assyrian community

Ali Bulac: Gulen movement wants to participate in the globalization

In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

Islam-state-society relationship: the Turkish model

Çağ Education Company in Azerbaijan held a conference to celebrate the 20th anniversary

Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia

Head of Azerbaijan’s Çağ Education Company denies authenticity of letter to Gülen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News